• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic book collecting with a foreign variant focus
19 19

4,891 posts in this topic

I’m taking for granted you’ve already read the stories in their original english.

Joking apart, in some cases it’s interesting to see how the stories have been translated in other languages.

In italian, for example, the very first issue of the Fantastic Four was published on a famous magazine belonging to a cultural area which was politically left-wing. The adaptation was superb, but the hints to the "space race" and the cold war feelings were somewhat avoided. While when Corno published Fantastici Quattro #1 the translation was awful but Reed's worries of beating the U.S.S.R. to the space race were kept. This is just an example. ;)

Very interesting. I'll admit it would be nice to be able to read them to see how they were translated. The stuff that really makes me wonder is the Adams/O'Neil Green Lantern run with all the stuff they had going on in there as far as politics, racism, drugs etc.

Very interesting. I'll admit it would be nice to be able to read them to see how they were translated. The stuff that really makes me wonder is the Adams/O'Neil Green Lantern run with all the stuff they had going on in there as far as politics, racism, drugs etc.

To be honest, I have had the opportunity to read/browse those stories just recently and I must admit I’ve found them pretty disappointing. I have had the impression O'Neill got acclaimed just because he treated certain themes, but the way he handled them I found poor. The Green Arrow character does not feel convincing at all to me, and Green Lantern appears seems mostly disoriented, and they appear to me without such a great characterization.

But again, DC comics characters have never been built as Marvel age characters, and I’ve never been able to develop an attachment to them, except those of the Fourth World, and very little else.

Solar and Magnus Robot Fighter were also published in their original series' here:

ALBISPADA_MAGNUSA.4000013.jpg

Edited by vaillant

Awesomeness guys! Pure win!

I just got a scan of the last book I needed to finish off my first foreign set.... I will be posting it on Sunday...all the ASM 298s that I think exist..CGC SS... :cool:

Got a few back!

1A0C3A87-8D70-4AF9-8F73-BE43B18D68F5-11283-00000539C5769B80.jpg

235BA3E8-4E61-41EA-B9B3-A2A7B23C875F-11283-00000539BD5E8CEA.jpg

32BB93C4-CA4A-4146-8620-3C6BB4B3434B-11283-00000539ABB511EF.jpg

Those are awesome Liam. :applause:

Awesomeness guys! Pure win!

I just got a scan of the last book I needed to finish off my first foreign set.... I will be posting it on Sunday...all the ASM 298s that I think exist..CGC SS... :cool:

You'll have to post a group pic of the whole set when you can. :headbang: