• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic book collecting with a foreign variant focus
19 19

4,891 posts in this topic

You know I dig the black and white cover

That is pretty cool - is that custom art for that specific issue, or is it a pinup or something from another Batman issue?

That is pretty cool - is that custom art for that specific issue, or is it a pinup or something from another Batman issue?

They, for whatever reason, used the art from Detective Comics #457 but opted to go with the white on black image.

I started collecting some German Gen 13s by Splitter that featured JSC's interior work from the series blown up and used on the cover. Sadly, half of the ones I bought were really, really substandard printing quality and they don't look very good. (they scanned at too low of resolution when reproducing the cover art) But thankfully, my favorite one turned out looking good:

Gen13G4.jpg

I think I'm going to have JSC sign them, but the sad part is that they're not going to come back probably any better than 8.5s. They all have a massive corner crunching on them.

Yea... it makes for some very interesting re-imaginings when the foreign publishers used interior art for the covers. Cool book! (thumbs u

Sorry bout the grade expectations but one of the first thingsya learn in the foreign game is your ideas of condition have to be readjusted. In many instances just finding the damn book and getting it safely in your hands is a victory regardless of grade. :gossip:

They, for whatever reason, used the art from Detective Comics #457 but opted to go with the white on black image.

There is another one I think maybe the swedish? hm That opted with the monochromatic cover as well..... freakin killer book though! :cloud9:

edit: I found the Swedish scan.....

batmna.jpg

Interesting enough in all the other issues in the Swedish run they are in color for the most part? I think the same for the French one you have Tim. I wonder if DC might have lost the color seperations for the press? And when it came time for DC's licensing dept. to send the foreign publishers the art they were like recolor it or whatevs.... hm However it happened I like it, what a cool set to aquire.... hm

Edited by Define999

There is another one I think maybe the swedish? hm That opted with the monochromatic cover as well..... freakin killer book though! :cloud9:

edit: I found the Swedish scan.....

batmna.jpg

Interesting enough in all the other issues in the Swedish run they are in color for the most part? I think the same for the French one you have Tim. I wonder if DC might have lost the color seperations for the press? And when it came time for DC's licensing dept. to send the foreign publishers the art they were like recolor it or whatevs.... hm However it happened I like it, what a cool set to aquire.... hm

I hadn't seen the Swedish one. Might have to track one of those down. hm

You forgot to mention the Luke is in "freakin' high grade", like Matthew would say… lol

Hope you enjoy them! (thumbs u

lol I know he's jealous... Remind me to post a video I made about these!

:insane: Freakin high grade is right dammit! :o You could say I am a little jealous.... but when the pangs of jealousy started pangin I reminded myself that I cant hog all the freakin high grade stuff out of Italy! lol I tell ya what though, having a higher grade Italian book in hand is somthing of beauty. For whatever reason Vaillant has this weird super human ability to come upon amazing conditioned books.... its like he is some kind of comic sourcing savant.... :gossip:

I am digging that Cloak and dagger too BTW... (thumbs u

Just got these in from TheAmazingR.J.S..... A Christmas gift! (worship)

Conan1_mexican.jpg

xmen94_Greek.jpg

I am lovin them.... :cloud9: The foreign variant community here is so "Freakin cool" its a real pleasure to be a part of it! :applause:

I also got this in from Greece.... I love how they omited the Cloak part of the title! hm

1stCLoakDagger_greek.jpg

Edited by Define999

Just got these in from TheAmazingR.J.S..... A Christmas gift! (worship)

Conan1_mexican.jpg

xmen94_Greek.jpg

I am lovin them.... :cloud9: The foreign variant community here is so "Freakin cool" its a real pleasure to be a part of it! :applause:

You know I love these two....AWESOME!!!! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

This is what I got to end my week.... :luhv: :

PhantomStranger26HistoriasFantasticas324x.png

This is what I got to end my week.... :luhv: :

PhantomStranger26HistoriasFantasticas324x.png

:cloud9: And the crazy cool Novaro DC variants continue.... love how sparse and geometric this cover is.... Also in comparsen to the Phantom Stranger American I like how the brown top of the Mexican one it gives a more interesting contrast to the pink sky.... super cool... (thumbs u

:insane: Freakin high grade is right dammit! :o You could say I am a little jealous.... but when the pangs of jealousy started pangin I reminded myself that I cant hog all the freakin high grade stuff out of Italy! lol I tell ya what though, having a higher grade Italian book in hand is somthing of beauty.

Well, in general they are a lot less delicate than the american originals, but they have also been collected for years without paying too much attention to higher grades, so it’s quite a gamble to find them. The fact that there is no huge price difference based on grade requires some luck to find them in higher grades.

Of course, there is difference, but usually a high-grade book doesn’t go for more than the double, or triple, of a lower grade one, unlike in the US where there can be a lot of difference.

I also got this in from Greece.... I love how they omited the Cloak part of the title! hm

1stCLoakDagger_greek.jpg

The windows also have serious problems as well. Building is probably going to collapse.