• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic book collecting with a foreign variant focus
19 19

4,891 posts in this topic

Sorry, my scumbag Evil-Twin brother got ahold of my board password and was posting useless information about comic books, don't worry, its been fixed

~ Permanently... :devil: Wooaha..wooaha..wooooooaahaa, woooooaaaaahahaha ahahahahah Woooooooaaaaaaahahahahahahahahahah!!

That's more like it! lol

Has there ever been a price guide that focuses on Marvel and DC foreign comic books?

I would love to learn about Mexican,England,Japan and other countries comic book histories.

There is a exhaustive one for French Heritage books in French... as well as a site by a boardie here! There was a UK pricing one at one point in time I think... but as far as other countries? I know that the Germans have a grading standard as well as the Dutch.... (shrug) But, an organized printed book where you can learn all about one countries specific releases both licensed or not? (shrug) I just do not know.... I know you can often find info for foreign publishers on that countries specific wikipedia language site, but an easy place to find this info..... no I don't think so? (shrug) Websites exist often... but again they are usually small and not very well researched... online databases do exist that often are very well researched and contain tons of info but more often than not they are in the native languages of those countries, and difficult to find.

EDIT: Boardies from other countries should chime in on this? Id be curious how many individual countries might have had a price guide? hm

Lots and lots of data probably exists in Marvel and DC's old licensing paperwork but both those companies didn't give much of a damn about foreign licensing as long as the foreign licenser's check cashed. How else could a DC villains artwork appear in a Spidey book? lol So the chance that any of that data escaped the trash bin is probably pretty rare. Also Take into consideration that some foreign publishers from the silver/Bronze age are long gone only adds to the problem.

Now I am sure its different in todays modern times... I bet the foreign license holders now have to show the American companies the artwork before its published. Or at the very least, have to abide by very, very strict standards of what they can and cannot do with the artwork, translation, continuity, etc..... but back pre-internet/global economy, no one at Marvel or DC probably ever fathomed that anyone would care what a publisher was doing with Spidey on the other side of the world. The bottom line mattered not the brand.... Those guys couldn't have imagined Americans interested in what the Filipinos were doing or any other far-off country! Who cares... they can't access(to buy) or read them anyway was probably there reasoning for not giving a sheeeet......

Maybe the higher ups at Marvel or DC did care about the brand, but did the guys working in the licensing dept. care? The stewards who were in charge of protecting the brand and artwork.... No, they were to busy listening to ABBA records... (I am speculating of course) lol In fact some Mexican publishers were allowed to write their own stories and artwork! Thats pretty loose and free with Spidey as a brand... makes for some cool, sexy, collectable covers though I will give La Prensa that! I sometimes wonder if Marvel even knew about this???? Or did some enterprising editor at La Prensa just say ok guys... are artwork is late from Marvel! Go hog wild! The presses must run! lol

Who knows, maybe licensing data could be mined from Marvel or DC or the foreign companies themselves if we had access? Things I would be curious about... hm Id like to know print runs for specific countries if they had that info, how the artwork was sent, who decided how the material was collected, which countries had artwork sent to them, etc.... sheeet just knowing how many possible countries licensed a specific issue would be HUGE help to some of us on "Key based hunts". But really who knows..... (shrug)

EDIT: there is a Arabic book about American superheros in lebanon I think... but I havent seen it and its probably written in Arabic! :gossip:

Edited by Define999

In fact some Mexican publishers were allowed to write their own stories and artwork! Thats pretty loose and free with Spidey as a brand... makes for some cool, sexy, collectable covers though I will give La Prensa that!

Funny you should mention this, as I just received today my first foreign editions. Namely, two issues of the Mexican Sgt. Fury series by La Presna, which are among the dozens and dozens of original Sgt. Fury stories they apparently published in the 70's after Marvel stopped producing new Fury stories.

I mean, how could I possibly pass this up when I saw it on ebay?

SAM_0214.jpg

A hot Spanish spitfire, with a hairstyle and a micro-skirt straight out of 1970, attacking Fury with a giant sword? C'mon, how great is that?

The story turns out to be a thinly veiled rewrite of Sgt. Fury #5, only with this female sword-wielding assassin in place of Baron Strucker. Which is a fantastic change.

I don't speak or read Spanish, but I speak the universal language of hot women with swords.

SAM_0226.jpg

SAM_0227.jpg

Edited by Crimebuster

In fact some Mexican publishers were allowed to write their own stories and artwork! Thats pretty loose and free with Spidey as a brand... makes for some cool, sexy, collectable covers though I will give La Prensa that!

Funny you should mention this, as I just received today my first foreign editions. Namely, two issues of the Mexican Sgt. Fury series by La Presna, which are among the dozens and dozens of original Sgt. Fury stories they apparently published in the 70's after Marvel stopped producing new Fury stories.

I mean, how could I possibly pass this up when I saw it on ebay?

SAM_0214.jpg

A hot Spanish spitfire, with a hairstyle and a micro-skirt straight out of 1970, attacking Fury with a giant sword? C'mon, how great is that?

The story turns out to be a thinly veiled rewrite of Sgt. Fury #5, only with this female sword-wielding assassin in place of Baron Strucker. Which is a fantastic change.

I don't speak or read Spanish, but I speak the universal language of hot women with swords.

SAM_0226.jpg

SAM_0227.jpg

Ya cannot pass this up.... This is comics history and wow, I knew they did it for Spidey, not Fury... lol Too cool, and one of the littel quirks that make collecting foreign variants sooooo "freakin" cool! :applause: This book looks so nice page quality-wise I think I know just the "collection "this came from! (worship)

Nice rack on ole girl I must say, La Prensa sure knew what worked and sold copies off the newsstand didnt they? hm and no pesky comic code authority to dash thier style! (thumbs u

Edited by Define999

SAM_0214.jpg

Cool comic, and I totallyget it, I mean, if I was a cartoon as I was in my past life...I would totally hit that......hey what the heck!!...the chick too!... :roflmao:

That Sgt. Fury is absurd…

OK, it’s no big deal, but since you asked for it… in recent years (2000s), italian catholic publisher San Paolo commissioned some Spider-Man stories to be published in the antologic magazine "Il Giornalino":

giornalino%20018%202007.jpg

Some nice inside artwork:

giornalino04.jpg

giornalino10.jpg

giornalino05.jpg

giornalino03.jpg

14402_UBC_Olivares_SM2_page07_Ink.jpg

Well drawn short stories from good italian artists, but the writing seemed to be totally forgettable; at least it was supposedly aimed at kids (with stories supposedly related to Spider-Man 1970s continuity, don’t ask me how), but now the publisher has luckily turned once again his policy towards our local production, and licensed material no longer appears on the magazine.

Now Matt, repeat with me: «I am NOT interested in these…» :makepoint:

OK, it’s no big deal, but since you asked for it… in recent years (2000s), italian catholic publisher San Paolo commissioned some Spider-Man stories to be published in the antologic magazine "Il Giornalino":

giornalino%20018%202007.jpg

Some nice inside artwork:

giornalino04.jpg

giornalino10.jpg

giornalino05.jpg

giornalino03.jpg

14402_UBC_Olivares_SM2_page07_Ink.jpg

Well drawn short stories from good italian artists, but the writing seemed to be totally forgettable; at least it was supposedly aimed at kids (with stories supposedly related to Spider-Man 1970s continuity, don’t ask me how), but now the publisher has luckily turned once again his policy towards our local production, and licensed material no longer appears on the magazine.

Now Matt, repeat with me: «I am NOT interested in these…» :makepoint:

:roflmao:

Those do seem to be well drawn....... Ok Claudio... I am not interested! THere, ya happy! :makepoint:lol

Its ok, I have my first Russian book coming hopefully soon... cant wait to show those off!

Edited by Define999

If you think in the 1970s "Il Giornalino" brought us this:

il_giornalino2.jpg53562v-IP227RKR.jpg

you’ll understand why I was being a little sarcastic.

This story, published in 1979, is about italian terrorism and I have read it at age ten.

Il Commissario Spada is a masterpiece of italian comics, and Paul Gravett hypotized an (unconfirmed) influence of his author, Gianni De Luca, on Frank Miller and other more modern artists (although one can arrive to similar solutions by different ways).

gio19790128_04_042.jpg

gio19790318_11_137.jpg

gio19790225_08_100.jpg

Love the Hogarth Tarzan in the club's entrance.

When in college, we used to go to a dive of a club ... named El Corto with a similar idea ... that was the place we ended up at the end of the evening, the kind of place the bouncers would prevent people from coming out from the inside to help out one friend being beat up outside :sick:

You're telling me...he's got Corporal rank (upside down) on his left sleeve....

:sick:

¿Qué sucede, Americano?

¿Te rindes?

:eek:

¿Yo?

No retrocedo, no me rindo

Love the Hogarth Tarzan in the club's entrance.

When in college, we used to go to a dive of a club ... named El Corto with a similar idea ... that was the place we ended up at the end of the evening, the kind of place the bouncers would prevent people from coming out from the inside to help out one friend being beat up outside :sick:

You‘d love the story as well, if it was translated into english. I think it’s one of the most poignant episodes, and it came out while italian terrorism was still pretty much into action. "Il Giornalino" was an amazing magazine, truly "catholic" in the proper sense of the word. The direction allowed the artists enough freedom to express themselves, and the supposed "limitations" due to the preferred youth audience made only stronger those writers and artists which had something good to say. ;)

Edited by vaillant