• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Beachbum Comics CGC 9.8 Modern Subscription Service Update 8/20 - Bump PMs!

220 posts in this topic

Dre,

I think what you do is fantastic for us. Please don't let some sour grapes ruin this for the whole lot. I think the recent rush of new blood to the boards is causing us all some serious pain and headaches. If I lived anywhere near you I'd be glad to run interference, gratis.

While I understand if it has to come to an end, I really hope these people understand what kind of stress a job like this put on you. What if you we're to stop taking PM's for a few weeks to allow the backlog (assuming there is one) to clear out. Or limiting your sales threads to :takeit: only and not allowing PM's (long shot I know, especially since there are those who already have a hard time even reading your sales thread rules). Another alternative is to bump up the minimum commitment to double, or even a years worth. Hopefully that would weed out the profiteers as well.

With that said, I hope that all your long time subscribers appreciate you like I do and the current rough patch doesn't last too much longer for you. I'd surely hate to lose such a wonderful service, especially from a man as classy as you.

Hang in there, it can only get better.

Tim

I'm getting really cranky.
have you been hit with the sixth gun madness?

I'm getting hit with the I'm about to pull the plug on the whole thing.

BTW Jreezy - It has nothing to do with your PM... I was just going through a bunch of others.

All good Dre, no worries. Hang in there man. I can't imagine how stressful it is w/ the subs and PMs galore you receive day in and day out. Appreciate you even providing this service.

Minions. I need minions. Problem is with stuff it's hard to trust people to handle your stash.

Where do I send my application? :popcorn:

No can do. EvilAsh has confirmed that you are his minion, and there are union rules preventing minion jumping.

"I'd love some Ice Cream!"

This is how I feel about the boards right now. :(

I can buy you ice cream or dinner in Chicago?

if you guys

could we finally get the
9.9 subscription service??

how do you even do this? If you have 5 requests on a title, how are you positive you'll be able to find 5 9.8 copies of the book?

You can just ignore me if you feel like I'm asking for trade secrets or something.

I would imagine he is submitting a ton of books like he says. He probably is forced to submit a few copies of a book in hopes that one comes back a 9.8.

Thus it is probably a TON of work.

Minions. I need minions. Problem is with stuff it's hard to trust people to handle your stash.

Where do I send my application? :popcorn:

No can do. EvilAsh has confirmed that you are his minion, and there are union rules preventing minion jumping.

:sorry:

Damn you union

Dre,

Coming from one of your more recent subscribers, I definitely appreciate the work and commitment you put into your sub service. I read a lot of titles, but only keep and collect the three that I sub thru you. If I ask too many questions, please just tell me to STFU and I'll leave you alone.

I'm more than happy to accommodate any requirements you have to keep this service available, be it longer buy ins, more frequent shipping, higher fees, etc. I'm a good bookkeeper and live in FL about an hour away from Sarasota; I would be happy to see if there is anyway I can help or assist in making things easier for you and my follow subscribers.

Thanks again,

Jim

how do you even do this? If you have 5 requests on a title, how are you positive you'll be able to find 5 9.8 copies of the book?

You can just ignore me if you feel like I'm asking for trade secrets or something.

I would imagine he is submitting a ton of books like he says. He probably is forced to submit a few copies of a book in hopes that one comes back a 9.8.

Thus it is probably a TON of work.

I don't sub over what I need. I may sub a couple extra of the larger subscriptions that are popular because I have regular eBay customers (Spawn, Walking Dead)

Dre,

Coming from one of your more recent subscribers, I definitely appreciate the work and commitment you put into your sub service. I read a lot of titles, but only keep and collect the three that I sub thru you. If I ask too many questions, please just tell me to STFU and I'll leave you alone.

I'm more than happy to accommodate any requirements you have to keep this service available, be it longer buy ins, more frequent shipping, higher fees, etc. I'm a good bookkeeper and live in FL about an hour away from Sarasota; I would be happy to see if there is anyway I can help or assist in making things easier for you and my follow subscribers.

Thanks again,

Jim

As with Jim, let me know if there is anything I can do to help and please tell me to STFU if i'm ever bothering you too much lol

You guys on his subscription service should feel so lucky, I don't know how he can offer these hot titles at those prices.

He offers a service period. The market of the last 6 months has gotten silly, and people started trying to abuse the service. He does a great job, and keeps his customers happy, which is why everyone loves him.

Him blocking people trying to abuse his service is right and just. The fact that even after that, people are still finding ways to harass him is very infuriating.

I ofter wonder the same, and I actually do feel really lucky - especially considering that the shelf copies my LCS are so rarely in 9.8 (or even 9.4) for the titles I want to collect. I wonder what Dre means when he says some of his subscribers don't know to quit while they are ahead - and would be quite remorse if it was me making him cranky and wanting to pull the plug.

I ofter wonder the same, and I actually do feel really lucky - especially considering that the shelf copies my LCS are so rarely in 9.8 (or even 9.4) for the titles I want to collect. I wonder what Dre means when he says some of his subscribers don't know to quit while they are ahead - and would be quite remorse if it was me making him cranky and wanting to pull the plug.

i would guess:

1.) endless emails

2.) trying to do to ONI titles what they did to Image titles

3.) Switching Marvel Now titles a lot

4.) only Dre knows

Judging by the comments in most of his sales threads ("PM sent"), I would posit #1 to be quite annoying. I'm guilty of it myself, but I even do that to people who buy stuff from me!

I imagine since many books from Image blew up last year (Saga, Tot, PP, MP, etc), and, as you pointed out, SG from Oni going that way, speculators have got to be making him very angry. I would feel the same way, too. I know Dre does it for the collectors and doesn't mind having a lower contribution margin to help his fellow boardies. if i caught someone flipping a book that I sold to them below market because I was being nice, I'd call them out in a heart beat and write them off.

I try to help out my collector friends when I can. I picked up a Helheim for a fellow boardie and gave it to him for my cost (cover) because he doesn't have an LCS. But that was minimal work, it's not like I spent time and money looking thru stacks to find a 9.8, slab it, then ship it well protected. When you think about it, Dre is a saint.

I've heard lot of good things about the work Dre does from my fellow UK friends, i'm glad they are able to have such a great service, and that's why I have no hesitation about buying from his threads.

It's just a shame that selfish speculators and people who ignore the fact that it's just one man doing this, and just treat it as any other business, are ruining it for everyone.