• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Greg Capullo Original Art?
2 2

181 posts in this topic

53 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

I'm waiting for Murphy's White Knight to come out in trade before reading it.  

I picked up a couple of the issues. Much Ado About Not as Much as Murphy Sold Us On......is as best as I can describe it. It's very self-aware that it's trying to be THE NEXT BIG BATMAN STORY. And it falls short for me on many levels. Some nice looking pages and small sequences, but as a whole it didn't work well. 

1 hour ago, eewwnuk said:

The king run hits a great stride after i am gotham.  The recent series with catwoman has been particularly good.  Janins artwork in the series is very well done.

Snyders court was far and away the strongest of his run.  I agree some of the other books were a bit tough to get through were it not for capullos art.

That’s where I disagree. I’ve strongly disliked every single issue, both in writing and art. But again, just preference. Batman: Year 100 was brutal for me to get through as well, and that’s considered a classic. 

53 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

So, IIRC, Jock, Murphy, Rossmo and Janin each drew one issue that appeared in the 10 Capullo/Snyder trades, so, I'm basing my opinion there on a limited sample size.  It's entirely possible that, after reading/seeing more of their work, my preferences could change, as there were aspects of all of their art that I enjoyed.  

I'm waiting for Murphy's White Knight to come out in trade before reading it.  Any suggestions on what to read for the best of Jock on Batman/Tec/etc.?  

Ah, that’s totally fair. 

Jock’s key work is BLACK MIRROR, a psychological thriller I think you’ll be particularly fond of. Snyder’s first DC entry. There’s a NOIR edition if you’d like to read it in B&W.

Jock also did a short run of All Star Batman with Snyder, but I’d suggest skipping All Star Batman altogether.

I don’t know how you’ll feel about White Knight. I’d wager you’ll be critical with it, but I’d still recommend it. For me, I had a blast with it. The writing lacks finesse and it can sometimes be a bit loose, but it explores a lot of interesting and seemingly obvious (yet undone or under-explored) ideas. It is a bit self-aware, but it’s also refreshing and not bound to the rigidity of continuity. Where it lacks in story, like Hush, it makes up for in art. Murphy’s visuals are a unique blend of American, European, and Japanese influences, and he’s a master at visual storytelling and leading the eye.

While I don’t beleive White Knight is the next Dark Knight Returns, it’s ballsy in its own right and has received extreme praise among readers (outside the vocal minority on the boards here.) I do believe it will be a story DC pushes for sometime given it’s uniqueness and how well received it was amongst fans.

As a bit of a background, Murphy sold himself as the next Miller to DC, they bought into it, gave him a great rate and he wrote about ~5/8 full issues before they checked in on him. As a result, he got away with doing a lot that DC would normally not approve. They refer to his world as the Murphyverse and may bring certain components into continuity dependent on receptivity. It was a test of sorts for the new Black Label line (self-contained, risqué DC stories), succeeded with ample reprints while going head-to-head with Metal, and two more volumes are “allegedly” planned. It is now the first Black Label book. 

Regarding the original art, there was a lot of criticism surrounding its pricing (justifiably so.) Funny enough, all the good pieces have already sold! Shocking even to me, having so much of it. 

For me, White Knight just isn't worth reading due to the awful storytelling... but of course every person will have some amount of subjectivity there. Though I do believe that even art (speaking of the general art of comics, more than the 'art' on the page) can have qualities that are objectively bad... White Knight skirted that line for me. I was unable to power through and actually continue past the third issue. The art on the page was OK, but I personally don't like Murphy on Batman the more Murphy on Batman that I've seen... which is somewhat odd, as I've liked his work on titles like Joe the Barbarian and Tokyo Ghost quite a bit.

1 hour ago, Mr. Machismo said:

That’s where I disagree. I’ve strongly disliked every single issue, both in writing and art. But again, just preference. Batman: Year 100 was brutal for me to get through as well, and that’s considered a classic. 

Coincidentally, I just read Year 100 for the first time a couple of weeks ago myself.  I liked the art more than the story, which starts out with an intriguing premise but ultimately follows a pretty conventional path and leaves many questions unanswered.  I was relieved, though, after seeing all the crazy art from this series with Batman's mouth full of sharp teeth, to find out that the teeth were fake and just used as an intimidation device! lol 

11 hours ago, SquareChaos said:

For me, White Knight just isn't worth reading due to the awful storytelling... but of course every person will have some amount of subjectivity there. Though I do believe that even art (speaking of the general art of comics, more than the 'art' on the page) can have qualities that are objectively bad... White Knight skirted that line for me. I was unable to power through and actually continue past the third issue. The art on the page was OK, but I personally don't like Murphy on Batman the more Murphy on Batman that I've seen... which is somewhat odd, as I've liked his work on titles like Joe the Barbarian and Tokyo Ghost quite a bit.

If you think White Knight art is [objectively] bad, that reveals a deep lack of understanding when it comes to art. The amount of artists that appreciate and study Murphy’s work on Batman (and particularly Capullo, for that instance) is staggering. These are trained professionals with a developed eye; people who’s collective opinions are the closest measure of objectivity we have. Doesn’t hurt that the fans went wild for it, too  

I’m all for difference of opinion and personal preferences when it comes to art appreciation, it just raises an eyebrow when someone’s use of “objective” unequivocally defines “subjective.” Lol. 

Edited by Mr. Machismo

12 hours ago, comix4fun said:

The stories really suffer when consumed in TPB form and multiple volumes at a sitting. The later stories suffer in the comparison to the the first two volumes for sure.

I felt exactly as you did, because that is how I consumed the stories. I bought the first 4 TPBs and read them all at once....1 and 2 were like "WOW", but it plummeted for me after that point. 

I read the first 2 TPB for the Court stories. Not a big Bsts fan, I did pick them up based on all the hype I was hearing. I have not picked up anything since and don't feel inclined after hearing the take(s) from Chris and Gene. 

Question: if I were to pick up another Batman arc, what would be the most suggested after Court? Sounds like the Halloween arc?

12 hours ago, comix4fun said:

I picked up a couple of the issues. Much Ado About Not as Much as Murphy Sold Us On......is as best as I can describe it. It's very self-aware that it's trying to be THE NEXT BIG BATMAN STORY. And it falls short for me on many levels. Some nice looking pages and small sequences, but as a whole it didn't work well. 

I don't find the Murphy visuals good enough to pick up the stories on the merits of the art alone. I also don't like the way he is trying to tout himself in the history of Batman art. These alone will keep me from picking up his stories ... unless I hear the writing is at the very highest level I don't see this making it into the stack at the LCS

38 minutes ago, JadeGiant said:

I read the first 2 TPB for the Court stories. Not a big Bsts fan, I did pick them up based on all the hype I was hearing. I have not picked up anything since and don't feel inclined after hearing the take(s) from Chris and Gene. 

Question: if I were to pick up another Batman arc, what would be the most suggested after Court? Sounds like the Halloween arc?

I'll throw out a few that aren't widely hyped, but to me are great combinations of story and art - Robin Year 1 & Batgirl Year 1.  

Interesting how this topic took a turn towards Sean Murphy, seems like all the negative feedback invariably mentions his hubris. In life and especially in business no one will be willing to give you what you're not willing to take. More artists should be like Sean, lest they end up like Bill Finger.

As for the merits of his art.  Capullo & Murphy are on my short list of artists I'll buy anything they work on.

I gave up on the new Batman run, "I am Gotham", as I found the writing very lazy. So White Knight was refreshingly good, to me. Wasn't  over the top like Metal or Super Heavy and art was glorious. 

11 hours ago, Mr. Machismo said:

If you think White Knight art is [objectively] bad, that reveals a deep lack of understanding when it comes to art.

23 hours ago, SquareChaos said:

You must have put very little effort into reading what I actually wrote.

Edited by SquareChaos

15 hours ago, Stefanomjr said:

Interesting how this topic took a turn towards Sean Murphy, seems like all the negative feedback invariably mentions his hubris. In life and especially in business no one will be willing to give you what you're not willing to take. More artists should be like Sean, lest they end up like Bill Finger.

As for the merits of his art.  Capullo & Murphy are on my short list of artists I'll buy anything they work on.

I gave up on the new Batman run, "I am Gotham", as I found the writing very lazy. So White Knight was refreshingly good, to me. Wasn't  over the top like Metal or Super Heavy and art was glorious. 

Being confident is never a problem....until you over-promise and under-deliver.

Sean Murphy can say whatever he would like about his projected, "The Next 'X', Best Thing Since The Invention of Pizza, Etc." as long as he hits the marks. When you aim for the top, and miss, it's a long way down. 

He could have probably mentioned how happy he was with his White Knight project and felt like he was doing something really good with the character and then let the work speak for itself.  He chose self-aggrandizement (mentioning Miller, etc) prior to release and completion of the project. Big Risk. Leaves little room for falling short. 

On 6/26/2018 at 12:11 PM, comix4fun said:

Being confident is never a problem....until you over-promise and under-deliver.

Sean Murphy can say whatever he would like about his projected, "The Next 'X', Best Thing Since The Invention of Pizza, Etc." as long as he hits the marks. When you aim for the top, and miss, it's a long way down. 

He could have probably mentioned how happy he was with his White Knight project and felt like he was doing something really good with the character and then let the work speak for itself.  He chose self-aggrandizement (mentioning Miller, etc) prior to release and completion of the project. Big Risk. Leaves little room for falling short. 

Maybe you're right. Never invite comparisons to what collectors and readers almost unanimously revere (myself included). But I'd expect nothing less from the guy that gave us PRJ. Also, I'd rather have an artist swing for the fences and give me a triple (which I think SGM did) than look to get a double and only come up with a single. To follow through with the analogy, some would say he struck out. I'd disagree. 

Edited by Stefanomjr
Used then instead of than

On 6/25/2018 at 9:57 AM, JadeGiant said:

The Long Halloween, definitely. If you like that, move on to Dark Victory. 

Classics: Batman: Year One, The Killing Joke, Dark Knight: Returns (just in case you haven’t read them.)

Modern books: Batman: The Black Mirror, Batman: Hush (largely divisive), Joker, Batman: Noel, Batman: The Man Who Laughs, Batman: Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader, Batman: Under the Red Hood, to name a few. 

I’d start with Long Halloween and Black Mirror. 

If you are looking for more of a main stream/throwback style then take a look at Year One: Batman/Scarecrow.  Published in 2005 and draw by Murphy. The story isn't the best but I think Murphy's pencils, style, and ability to relay what is happening make it a pretty good read.  His pencils are fantastic throughout the entire story.  Great use of shadow, and the costume he came up with for Scarecrow is fantastic.  If you like a big bulky Batman who doesn't look like a jacked up steroid bodybuilder then Murphy might have come up with a winner for you.  It was one of the first attempts by Murphy at mainstream comics and his first work on Batman.  I've no idea what the pages sell for as they rarely come up for sale. 

Here are some examples of the pages:

Scarecrow2.30.jpg

Scarecrow2.35.jpg

Scarecrow2.36.jpg

Edited by Lucky Baru

On 6/26/2018 at 10:04 PM, Mr. Machismo said:

The Long Halloween, definitely. If you like that, move on to Dark Victory. 

Classics: Batman: Year One, The Killing Joke, Dark Knight: Returns (just in case you haven’t read them.)

Modern books: Batman: The Black Mirror, Batman: Hush (largely divisive), Joker, Batman: Noel, Batman: The Man Who Laughs, Batman: Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader, Batman: Under the Red Hood, to name a few. 

I’d start with Long Halloween and Black Mirror. 

I read Year One DK, KJ, etc. back when they came out. 

I also read a lot of Hush as I was grabbing the title off the rack sporadically for the artwork but the story didn't capture me enough to get them all. 

I love Sale's art and hear tons about Long Halloween being good so I will grab that trade. 

Thanks

46 minutes ago, JadeGiant said:

I read Year One DK, KJ, etc. back when they came out. 

I also read a lot of Hush as I was grabbing the title off the rack sporadically for the artwork but the story didn't capture me enough to get them all. 

I love Sale's art and hear tons about Long Halloween being good so I will grab that trade. 

Thanks

I didn't read The Long Halloween until recently.  I think it's not only one of the best Batman stories ever written (I'd put it above The Killing Joke), but one of the best comics stories, period.  The Tim Sale art is marvelous as well - genius is not too strong a term to describe his work on this series.  Uh-maze-ing. 

In addition to the other storylines that were previously mentioned, I'd also throw in "Ten Nights of the Beast" and "Death in the Family" (both by Starlin/Aparo).  I also enjoyed the Starlin-penned issues that preceded and came in-between these storylines.  And, of course, the classic "A Lonely Place of Dying" (Wolfman/Perez) which came the following year.  I don't think that "Knightfall" or "Knightquest" were mentioned; I have mixed feelings towards these storylines, though, they had their moments. 

I checked out the "Batman Noir" (black & white) version of "Black Mirror" from the library on Kyle's suggestion (haven't started it yet, though).  I also have the Gaiman-penned "Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader?" waiting for me there on hold.