• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Greg Capullo Original Art?
2 2

181 posts in this topic

He responded to me once...a year and a half ago or so, when I asked the price on the Batman #1 cover. He responded with "$50k".

I'm not sure if you can call that "luck" on my part. lol

That's complete insanity.

Still available on CAF:

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1058355

Boy, that listing just makes it feel like he's taunting his fans, don't it?

He responded to me once...a year and a half ago or so, when I asked the price on the Batman #1 cover. He responded with "$50k".

Still available on CAF:

Those comments. lol

Normally fans are discreet in their commentary on artist pricing. You've really got to be an outlier to get that kind of reaction.

Still available on CAF:

Boy, that listing just makes it feel like he's taunting his fans, don't it?

Given the price of the recent Harrison Ford signature opportunity that went on sale yesterday, maybe Harrison can trade him 60 signed comics for the OA to that cover. lol

Given the price of the recent Harrison Ford signature opportunity that went on sale yesterday, maybe Harrison can trade him 60 signed comics for the OA to that cover. lol

where is this? wanna peep game.

where is this? wanna peep game.

Here, Rob. Be sure you look at the details before you get too excited.

http://celebrityauthentics.com/product-category/harrison-ford/

Still available on CAF:

Those comments. lol

Normally fans are discreet in their commentary on artist pricing. You've really got to be an outlier to get that kind of reaction.

The comments are unsurprising, though I think some of the fears expressed ("Awesome cover! But if you don't want to sell it, don't sell it. $50k is a seriously dangerous number. If every artist out there sees that and starts asking those kinds of prices, it's really going to hurt availability for the fans. Even in the past decade the prices have skyrocketed, but this type of pricing has the ability to really, really hurt the market.") are silly. Pricing doesn't determine the market -- buyers determine the market. No buyer, no effect on the market.

I agree that this is probably just a smart way to avoid endless pricing/sales inquires from eager fans. He obviously wants to keep the piece, but he also knows what level of silly offer would change his mind.

Still available on CAF:

Those comments. lol

The comments are unsurprising, though I think some of the fears expressed ("Awesome cover! But if you don't want to sell it, don't sell it. $50k is a seriously dangerous number. If every artist out there sees that and starts asking those kinds of prices, it's really going to hurt availability for the fans. Even in the past decade the prices have skyrocketed, but this type of pricing has the ability to really, really hurt the market.") are silly. Pricing doesn't determine the market -- buyers determine the market. No buyer, no effect on the market.

I agree that this is probably just a smart way to avoid endless pricing/sales inquires from eager fans. He obviously wants to keep the piece, but he also knows what level of silly offer would change his mind.

So how silly is a 50k price? I'm asking because I really don't know. Not a lot of comps to compare it to. But I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that this run on Batman is the best received in maybe 10 years or more? I'm not saying this fact alone warrents a 50k price tag necessarily, but I really doubt Capullo would have much problem selling the cover to this first issue for at least 20k, maybe 25. Still a very, very long way from 50k, but since someone here asked how crazy this price was in today's market, this is my 2 cents.

Scott

Still available on CAF:

Those comments. lol

So how silly is a 50k price? I'm asking because I really don't know. Not a lot of comps to compare it to. But I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that this run on Batman is the best received in maybe 10 years or more? I'm not saying this fact alone warrents a 50k price tag necessarily, but I really doubt Capullo would have much problem selling the cover to this first issue for at least 20k, maybe 25. Still a very, very long way from 50k, but since someone here asked how crazy this price was in today's market, this is my 2 cents.

Scott

I think the thought wasn't so much was the price crazy for the character but more for the artist, given his established market and prices obtained. Nothing this particular artist has done (that wasn't inked by an artist whose last name starts with "McFarl") has ever approached those price levels. Even those pieces haven't set the world on fire at auction.

It's drastically outside of this artist's established market. Frankly that number would get you one of a handful of Neal Adams Detective covers. Maybe someone would pay $20k. I could see that. I've seen modern pieces go for silly prices before. The zeal and love of the story can overcome some people. I get that. If that price is, however, because it's a great Batman story, I could spend $50k far more wisely elsewhere.

Still available on CAF:

Those comments. lol

Scott

Scott, I use the term 'silly' as a playful way to say "unrealistic and unlikely, so he's not expecting he'd get that, but honest about how much the piece is worth to him." I agree that it's probably not an insane number. I see dealers listing prices that seem, well, silly. Some of that is probably a business strategy, waiting for someone to come along for whom that piece is a grail piece, or to give them plenty of room to bargain and still get a high price, but sometimes it seems to be a price arrived at through the emotion of not really wanting to part with the piece, but also knowing what financial price point would change their mind.

In other words, maybe Capullo is trying to signal where he wants the market for his work to land, but I think more likely he just doesn't really want to part with the piece, but would if someone were willing to pay 2-3x the going rate for such a page. I have pages in my collection that I feel that way about.

I feel Greg Capullo is an amazing talent. Couple years ago I was able to pick up a complete book from him from one of my favorite Spawn issues.

Complete Spawn Issue by Greg Capullo and Todd Mcfarlane on CAF

It cost a fortune but I am very happy with it. He is a great guy too! He is like Todd Mcfarlane in the sense that he keeps his art. He does not like to sell his art and when/if he does he wants a lot. He doesn't care if it sells or not. It's his price or no deal.

thanks,

Matthew

Edited by Overthetopinc

I would be very surprised if that website was for selling his original art. I doubt you will see much of if any of that. Probably more for promotion and blogging. I spend a lot of time on caf but not on message boards. What does *cough* mean?

I would be very surprised if that website was for selling his original art. I doubt you will see much of if any of that. Probably more for promotion and blogging. I spend a lot of time on caf but not on message boards. What does *cough* mean?

He has directly stated on Twitter multiple times that he will be selling original art on the new site.

Re: *cough*

From the Urban Dictionary,

*cough*

Used on forums, chat, etc. to represent awkwardness, or break silence. Rarely used to actually represent coughing, unless someone is explaining how they have the flu or something.

-- A little more specific --

Cough:

1. Used mostly on a chat, or a forum, as a response to something awkward.

2. Used to tell others you have a cough or something.

*Any clash between real names in the example is entirely coincidental*

Example of Definition 1:

Jamie: Hey whats 1 + 1?

Jack: *cough* *cough*

Example of definition 2:

Jamie: Hey, hows it going?

Jack: I *cough* have a cough.

Interesting I wonder if he will sell any spawn stuff. Thanks for the clarification of cough. Unbelievable. I am done with these boards. Obviously this is where some people call home and I have offended some so I am going to stick to collecting and say goodbye to this place =)