• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Walking Dead 48-84, break out issues?

109 posts in this topic

I'm not asking you to ignore a racial epithet or a call for violence. I'm merely asking you to ignore a question abbout what are the key issues of a series. If I sold comics for a living, I would want people to be informed. I know that the repetitive questions bother a number of you guys. My point isn't that you need to answer the same question 50 different times, but rather that it is advantageous to be nice to those making the inquiry because they are most certainly new to the industry or at least new to the series. I guess we are just going to have to agree to disagree. I would like to make one last plea for the rule to be this: what kind of answer does the most to promote the industry, encourage readership & participation in the forum that is reasonable under the circumstances. I think we can all agree that is the best rule for us to follow because the health of the industry is what is most important to all of us.

What was the point of the OPs question in your opinion? What do you think his endgame was?

I'm no mind reader, but I imagine the OP wanted to know what the key issues were so he could buy them or read them ... I didn't imagine that it was a situation where the OP wanted to stockpile books for later resale or for slab-n'-sale. I think you should ask him or her.

Wouldn't trades, collected editions, omnibi, and or collected editions do the job way better way to read the series than chasing down a $50 copy of #53?

Occam's Razor rules in these types of situations.

I'm not asking you to ignore a racial epithet or a call for violence. I'm merely asking you to ignore a question abbout what are the key issues of a series. If I sold comics for a living, I would want people to be informed. I know that the repetitive questions bother a number of you guys. My point isn't that you need to answer the same question 50 different times, but rather that it is advantageous to be nice to those making the inquiry because they are most certainly new to the industry or at least new to the series. I guess we are just going to have to agree to disagree. I would like to make one last plea for the rule to be this: what kind of answer does the most to promote the industry, encourage readership & participation in the forum that is reasonable under the circumstances. I think we can all agree that is the best rule for us to follow because the health of the industry is what is most important to all of us.

What was the point of the OPs question in your opinion? What do you think his endgame was?

I'm no mind reader, but I imagine the OP wanted to know what the key issues were so he could buy them or read them ... I didn't imagine that it was a situation where the OP wanted to stockpile books for later resale or for slab-n'-sale. I think you should ask him or her.

Wouldn't trades, collected editions, omnibi, and or collected editions do the job way better way to read the series than chasing down a $50 copy of #53?

Took the words right out of my mouth, Chris.

I really can't believe this thread is still going on.

Yea, haven't you heard.. Walking Dead threads are HOT :devil:

Yes, but...from threads 48-84...which would be the BREAKOUT threads...do you think?

Yes, but...from threads 48-84...which would be the BREAKOUT threads...do you think?

I know...but I don't want to ruin it.

I know...but I don't want to ruin it.

I'm sorry, but this is possibly the best post I've ever seen on here -

Ah hell who made Mr. Esq in charge of the Nice Police? I am curious with him commenting over and over about us all living in mommy's basement at what age did he move out of his or is he practicing law currently from her basement?

It really is funny that he wants to slam everyone then tell us to be nice to others. Also funny since the majority of those in this thread know each other in real life and know most of us our married and or have children.

You're trying to beat up a straw man. As I've said repeatedly, the snarky comments and attitudes support the stereotypes like Groening's Comic Book Man. I'm not tryin to rag on where any of you fellows reside. The fact that you and your friends are close only supports the idea that you should treat newcomers and outsiders better than you do. Similarly, the outrage over the idea that you should treat others with respect is at best disturbing.

:facepalm:

If you could just get over yourself and shut the he!! up for awhile, that would be divine.

I do think it's rather ironic, though, that in one sentence you tell use to treat each other better, and in the next you make some thinly-veiled jab about "comic book collectors" as a whole. Maybe you should just find another board to troll.

I did not make any kind of slight towards comic book collectors as a whole unless you believe that the stereotype is true. I for one do not. I specifically am trying to discourage the kind of behavior that reinforces those sorts of stereotypes by encouraging people to refrain from snarky, mean spirited comments and suggesting that board members increase their level of tolerance, cooperation and good will towards others. Please do not try and misconstrue what I have said to justify your personal attacks or ill will towards me.

I still have a hard time wrapping my head around the idea that this series is loaded with keys.

Most of the 1st apps that people are listing are, ultimately, 1st apps of people that are going to become zombie meat.

Besides #1 and #19, I don't really see any "big" keys in the series. I know some people will say #26 b/c of the Governor. He was a good character...for a story arc. He's not an "arch-nemesis" or "super-villian". Yeah, he gave Rick and his people alot of trouble. And then what? He becomes zombie food too.

Eventually, everyone is going to be zombie food.

Ah hell who made Mr. Esq in charge of the Nice Police? I am curious with him commenting over and over about us all living in mommy's basement at what age did he move out of his or is he practicing law currently from her basement?

It really is funny that he wants to slam everyone then tell us to be nice to others. Also funny since the majority of those in this thread know each other in real life and know most of us our married and or have children.

You're trying to beat up a straw man. As I've said repeatedly, the snarky comments and attitudes support the stereotypes like Groening's Comic Book Man. I'm not tryin to rag on where any of you fellows reside. The fact that you and your friends are close only supports the idea that you should treat newcomers and outsiders better than you do. Similarly, the outrage over the idea that you should treat others with respect is at best disturbing.

If you could just get over yourself and shut the he!! up for awhile, that would be divine.

I do think it's rather ironic, though, that in one sentence you tell use to treat each other better, and in the next you make some thinly-veiled jab about "comic book collectors" as a whole. Maybe you should just find another board to troll.

I did not make any kind of slight towards comic book collectors as a whole unless you believe that the stereotype is true. I for one do not. I specifically am trying to discourage the kind of behavior that reinforces those sorts of stereotypes by encouraging people to refrain from snarky, mean spirited comments and suggesting that board members increase their level of tolerance, cooperation and good will towards others. Please do not try and misconstrue what I have said to justify your personal attacks or ill will towards me.

I'm just curious if you ever read what you write? :popcorn:

I still have a hard time wrapping my head around the idea that this series is loaded with keys.

Most of the 1st apps that people are listing are, ultimately, 1st apps of people that are going to become zombie meat.

Besides #1 and #19, I don't really see any "big" keys in the series. I know some people will say #26 b/c of the Governor. He was a good character...for a story arc. He's not an "arch-nemesis" or "super-villian". Yeah, he gave Rick and his people alot of trouble. And then what? He becomes zombie food too.

Well said, I agree completely. I can't wrap my brain around all these "1st app Abraham", "1st app Douglas" listings on ebay and elsewhere. It's not like it would make much sense to collect "just the keys" of the WD title... as opposed to keys like ASM #121-122, which are self-contained stories with key events that can stand on their own.

Well said, I agree completely. I can't wrap my brain around all these "1st app Abraham", "1st app Douglas" listings on ebay and elsewhere. It's not like it would make much sense to collect "just the keys" of the WD title... as opposed to keys like ASM #121-122, which are self-contained stories with key events that can stand on their own.

Good point. I think a problem with non-superhero books for years has been defining "key" issues. Walking Dead may again redefine what a "key" issue is. Overstreet has defined key issues in the other ages for years, but I think some of this is creating a false price point simply because the issue has a notation in Overstreet. Generally a character has to be popular for their first appearence to command a permium and this should be a requirement for an issue to be considered a "key" first appearence. 1, 2, 19, 27, probably 53 all introduced popular characters (I haven't read past 90). Other issues contained great moments in the story like issue 48. But, the first father Gabriel and first Douglas don't seem as key to me since those characters aren't very popular (maybe this will change in the future). I consider #63 a Chew key, not a Walking Dead key (and the same with the other flip books). In the end, the market will decide. Like Hulk 180 and 181, now it is clear that 181 that 181 is the key but I was looking through an Overstreet guide from the early 80's and one dealer had 180 marked at $12.50 and 181 at $3.50 or something like that. In the end, the market will rule, in the meantime, this is a fun discussion (when we can actually discuss the issue of the thread).

"It's just like the guys that want free GPA information from people they don't know well enough to PM but still expect someone paying $130 a year for the service to hand them over free of charge and with barely a thank you."

Speaking of which, what is the GPA info for a VF Hulk 2?

I feel like I've imparted enough wisdom over the years to get one free quote.

You also know enough of us to PM when you need a quote. lol

I dunno man, I don't do Virgils with the crowd after NYCC, so I really get confused as to who does/is what, etc. and whether I've ever gotten into a pizzing match with anyone in particular. Other than the dealer-folk there are only 2 boardies here I know by sight and that's because I went to school with them. I have a short-term memory for that sort of stuff. I guess I could PM Roy, but I'm afraid merely by the act of PMing I might feel the urge to grown my own set of luscious curly lockes and, let's face it, I'm too old and fat for that to work on me, it ain't like I'm 18 anymore and weigh a buck eighty.

The Governor had a whole separate book done on him. So they can do lots of back stories about the 6 months before he became zombie meat. Or the show can decide to keep him for a while.

61 is the chew key.

(were there chew previews in other image titles or just WD?)

And did one have Viking 1 reprinted in it? (not that the title ever took off, although i liked it)

I'm just curious if you ever read what you write? :popcorn:

1) Don't diss collectors as a whole, just specific ones. We're all here because we have an inner nerd, that's o.k.

2) try to play nice, unless someone deserves otherwise

3) and still try to play nice until the deserving party shows they REALLY deserve the flames (sometimes they're just dopey)