• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Captain America #1 returned

43 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

Many of you know me from my purchases and sales here and on ebay.

I had a beautiful copy of Captain America #1 stolen for me.

I purchased the book from Billy Parker (Straw Man) on the CGC boards in December of 2010.

Billy sent the book to me in an old fashioned fortress which was too big to fit in a safe deposit box. Foolishly, I kept the book in my house.

The book was targetted somehow.

The book was an apparent 6.0. The book was trimmed. The pages were mostly off white, slightly cream to off-white toward the top edge. There was almost no tanning to the inside covers. There was a tear seal up at top left.

I only had it out of the fortress once.

I only had the book out of the house once. The day that I found out that it wouldn't fit in a safe deposit box with the fortress.

I noticed that it was missing just before C2E2. Since then, I have looked thru every box, drawer, hiding place and cubby hole in my house.

I cleaned out the attic, my comic book room, my office, the basement and the garage. (which made my wife very happy.)

The book was in the fortress, and the fortress was in a black fleece overlap cover. It pretty much stood out no matter which books that I kept it with.

My guess is that it was stolen by one of the many repairmen that we have had in our home lately.

I know that someday I will own another copy, but this was a great copy and Billy sold it to me at a great price.

Thanks very much for taking the time to read this.

I'll post a few pics in case anyone spots it.

Mike

oh and also do you have home owners insurance?

you might want to contact the contractors owners and let them know about the theft too.

good luck :wishluck:

Thank you. I'll notify them right after I file a police report.

sorry to hear.

do you have a scan of the book?

you prolly might want to notify local and national dealers.

good luck :wishluck:

Thank you, I've notified Metropolis Collectibles and they said that they would help.

Hi guys,

Many of you know me from my purchases and sales here and on ebay.

I had a beautiful copy of Captain America #1 stolen for me.

I purchased the book from Billy Parker (Straw Man) on the CGC boards in December of 2010.

Billy sent the book to me in an old fashioned fortress which was too big to fit in a safe deposit box. Foolishly, I kept the book in my house.

The book was targetted somehow.

The book was an apparent 6.0. The book was trimmed. The pages were mostly off white, slightly cream to off-white toward the top edge. There was almost no tanning to the inside covers. There was a tear seal up at top left.

I only had it out of the fortress once.

I only had the book out of the house once. The day that I found out that it wouldn't fit in a safe deposit box with the fortress.

I noticed that it was missing just before C2E2. Since then, I have looked thru every box, drawer, hiding place and cubby hole in my house.

I cleaned out the attic, my comic book room, my office, the basement and the garage. (which made my wife very happy.)

The book was in the fortress, and the fortress was in a black fleece overlap cover. It pretty much stood out no matter which books that I kept it with.

My guess is that it was stolen by one of the many repairmen that we have had in our home lately.

I know that someday I will own another copy, but this was a great copy and Billy sold it to me at a great price.

Thanks very much for taking the time to read this.

I'll post a few pics in case anyone spots it.

Mike

Yeow, very sorry to hear that! Hopefully it turns up under a rug at your house or, barring that, the perpatrator turns up in a rug, under a house. :mad:

Good luck to you in finding it!

Sorry to hear about that; be sure that it’s been stolen, however.

You may end up finding it, after you have filed the police report. It happens…

Thank you.

I hope that you are right.

I would notify all comic shops in the area. Perhaps you can take a Xerox copy of the scan and passs it out to all comic shops in the area. I know it's after the fact and I hope you find the book, but if you have a lot of books, I would buy a safe and keep your most valuable ones inside it. Safes come in all sizes. And I would also check into insuring your collection. There is a monthly ad in the Comics Buyer's Guide about taking out an insurance policy on your comic collection. It's underwritten by Travelers Insurance. Phone # is (800) 739-3314. And, yes, you can insure the collection for FMV--not just OSPG value. Good Luck--also, notify some of the larger dearlers such as Harley Yee, Motor City, JHV and many others. Check the ads and the list of advisers in the OSPG. Also, Bedrock Comics is a good source. Richard Evans is a great guy. So is Mark Wilson up in Washington state who sells a lot on e-bay. His handle is Disneyart.

SLR

You should call all the contractors or repair companies that were at your house and tell them the situation. Chances are, if their employee stole from you, then he has stolen from others. If they become aware of this pattern they might be able to figure out who it is. It won't get your comic back but it might have potential repercussions for the thief.

Or.... You could hire the same company or contractors to do more work of a similar nature in your home. This time get another comic book that looks valuable and leave it around where it can be noticed. You don't have to use something really valuable -- get a nice scanned cover page of Action Comics #10 and wrap it around an old Dotty Dripple or something. Then put it in mylar and present it as if it's real. Put a little official-looking corner seal from a fictional auction house that says the comic was sold for $8,750 or something.

Leave the comic sitting on display somewhere. On the opposite side of the room, put a hidden camera and set it to record at all times. Maybe you'll catch the jackhole who stole your previous comic.

As others have said, contact all local comic shops and others who trade in old collectibles. Check Craigslist and eBay. Learn how to set up RSS feeds or other automatic searches so it's easy for you to notice when/if the comic does show up online somewhere. File a police report. Document everything.

Failing all of that, tell us more about your story and enjoy the catharsis of 100+ comic collectors sympathizing with you. Also take pride in your cautionary tale as it reinforces the need for everybody to be careful about leaving valuables in the open and placing too much trust in people who haven't established that they deserve it.