• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Captain America #1 returned

43 posts in this topic

I am very sorry to hear that! This might sound a little crazy but you might want to offer a reward for information leading to the recovery of the book. If it was stolen there is a good chance the person that stole it told someone else. If he or she did tell someone else then most likely the person that he or she told is not honest either. So saying that, the person that the thief possibly told may drop a dime on the thief in order to get the reward for themselves. You`d be surprised how stupid and greedy some crooks are.

Years ago my grandfather`s home was broken into and several items were stolen. He offered a reward for the items and although this is very hard to believe, someone (I am assuming the burglar`s friend) actually brought the stolen items back to my grandfather`s house for the reward. My grandfather didn`t ask any questions as his main concern was getting the items back. He paid the reward, got his items back and left it at that. It goes to show you how stupid some crooks/thieves are and the chances they are willing to take for a few bucks. Although this was maybe 35 years ago the reward was for only about 20 dollars.

If you do offer a reward I wouldn`t say the comic was stolen from your home, I would say something like "I believe I may have misplaced it at the library" or something of the sort. This way if the thief decides to pursue the reward he may have a friend (like in my grandfather`s case) call you and tell you he found it at the library. If you let it be known that you know it was stolen then it will lessen the chances that the thief or his friend will try and purse the reward.

Also If you decide to offer a reward I would put the reward ad on craigslist and in your local newspaper. I would also check craigslist daily to see if he or she is trying to sell it on craigslist or ebay, don`t just check your city and state check other cities and states as well because it most likely will not be listed for sale in your city.

I really hope you get your book back!

I wish you the best and I will browse craigslist and ebay in hopes of finding your book. Take care.

Isaac

I would start with the contractor. Tell him what was stolen and that you KNOW it was taken by one of his workers. If you don’t get a response, tell him that the police will be contacted. If he as any "undocumented" workers, he might be inclined to be very helpful.

If it wasn’t the contractor, my next step would be a delicate one. Is there anyone who has access to the house who is in financial trouble? Sometimes it’s hard to think that someone close to us would do such a thing, but people can become desperate - especially if substance abuse is involved. Just something to consider. Good Luck!

I am very sorry to hear that! This might sound a little crazy but you might want to offer a reward for information leading to the recovery of the book. If it was stolen there is a good chance the person that stole it told someone else. If he or she did tell someone else then most likely the person that he or she told is not honest either. So saying that, the person that the thief possibly told may drop a dime on the thief in order to get the reward for themselves. You`d be surprised how stupid and greedy some crooks are.

Years ago my grandfather`s home was broken into and several items were stolen. He offered a reward for the items and although this is very hard to believe, someone (I am assuming the burglar`s friend) actually brought the stolen items back to my grandfather`s house for the reward. My grandfather didn`t ask any questions as his main concern was getting the items back. He paid the reward, got his items back and left it at that. It goes to show you how stupid some crooks/thieves are and the chances they are willing to take for a few bucks. Although this was maybe 35 years ago the reward was for only about 20 dollars.

If you do offer a reward I wouldn`t say the comic was stolen from your home, I would say something like "I believe I may have misplaced it at the library" or something of the sort. This way if the thief decides to pursue the reward he may have a friend (like in my grandfather`s case) call you and tell you he found it at the library. If you let it be known that you know it was stolen then it will lessen the chances that the thief or his friend will try and purse the reward.

Also If you decide to offer a reward I would put the reward ad on craigslist and in your local newspaper. I would also check craigslist daily to see if he or she is trying to sell it on craigslist or ebay, don`t just check your city and state check other cities and states as well because it most likely will not be listed for sale in your city.

I really hope you get your book back!

I wish you the best and I will browse craigslist and ebay in hopes of finding your book. Take care.

Isaac

Isaac

Thank you so much for your suggestions. I have no problem offering a reward, but I want to do it in such a way that it does not promote more criminal activity. This is an idea that I will also ask the police department about.

Thanks so much.

Mike

Mike,

No problem at all, you are very welcome! It is a good idea to ask the police as I am sure they should have some helpful suggestions for you.

I wish you the best and I will be keeping my eyes open daily in hopes of helping you locate your book.

This is a long shot but you may want to talk to your home insurance to see if they will cover it, its doubtful but worth asking.

Take care Mike,

Isaac

I would start with the contractor. Tell him what was stolen and that you KNOW it was taken by one of his workers. If you don’t get a response, tell him that the police will be contacted. If he as any "undocumented" workers, he might be inclined to be very helpful.

If it wasn’t the contractor, my next step would be a delicate one. Is there anyone who has access to the house who is in financial trouble? Sometimes it’s hard to think that someone close to us would do such a thing, but people can become desperate - especially if substance abuse is involved. Just something to consider. Good Luck!

....this is exactly what the police will tell you.....especially if no valuable electronics, etc. are missing. If it's only the Cap 1......it's possibly someone you know very well. I'm sorry it was a Cap 1.....any theft sucks.....but the neatest comic ever made is really a downer. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

P.S. This has many characteristics of what police call an "inside" job. A trusted friend or family member sees an oppurtunity to shift blame to the contractors....and pounces.

Thanks again for all of the help and advice that everyone is giving me.

I have filed a police report and the police have told me how to proceed to get a court order that the folks at CGC want.

My copy of Captain America #1 has been returned.

Thanks very much to everyone.

Awesome news Mike! Care to share how and who or what? If not, PM me if you would like. Otherwise, glad you have it back. :)

Copied from Comics General (I got a tetanus booster and some antibiotics before I ventured over there):

The book reappeared as mysteriously as it disapeared. It was found by my spouse this morning in a place where a half a dozen folks had looked before. It was in the guest's bedroom. I have no recollection of ever having it in that room. I'm just happy to have it back.

Thanks again to all who were concerned.