• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dead Mail?

16 posts in this topic

Anyone ever have this happen to them? If so what was your outcome and how long did it take?

I have been dealing with one for 2 weeks now and they say its gonna be another 6 weeks or more...

I'm having trouble determining if your post doesn't make sense or if I'm just too tired to understand it. :facepalm:

Anyone ever have this happen to them? If so what was your outcome and how long did it take?

I have been dealing with one for 2 weeks now and they say its gonna be another 6 weeks or more...

I'm having trouble determining if your post doesn't make sense or if I'm just too tired to understand it. :facepalm:

I would prefer not to.

lol my bad. So you send a package thru the mail. It gets where its going but then the post office says it does not have an address on it. so its sent to alanta as dead mail. if its not claimed in a certin time the auction it off. i have shipped 1000's of books and stuff and about a month ago this happen to me the 1st time. ive never seen it before so thats why i was asking. Maybe its an US thing not sure.

thanks

lol my bad. So you send a package thru the mail. It gets where its going but then the post office says it does not have an address on it. so its sent to alanta as dead mail. if its not claimed in a certin time the auction it off. i have shipped 1000's of books and stuff and about a month ago this happen to me the 1st time. ive never seen it before so thats why i was asking. Maybe its an US thing not sure.

thanks

Did you put a return address on it? (shrug)

thanks

Did you put a return address on it? (shrug)

I don't know if it's the same everywhere else but the PO here won't accept a letter/package without a return address on it.

Its not just a U.S. thing, it happened to me with a set of Watchmen comics over here in the U.K. In hindsight I should have put a return address on the parcel but for the life of me I cannot remember why I didn't.

I guess I believed "1st Class Recorded" should have been enough.

Anyway, the day I send the parcel the person at the other end had a family emergency and left their house for 10 days. Of course my parcel ended up arriving the next day, a card was put through the door. Unfortunately Royal Mail only hold Recorded Delivery items for 7 days, if unclaimed they should go back to the return address. Of course I neglected to put one on there and the post office did not remind me.

The time the guy received the card, the parcel had gone. NO return address means it ends up in Belfast sorting office, if not claimed for a period of time it gets auctioned off. A journalist, via the freedom of information act, forced Royal Mail to admit that they make millions of pounds a year through lost post that are auctioned off.

Long story short, weeks of investigating, phone calls, emails & written letters, the parcel could not be found. I had to reimburse the buyer through paypal and then claim a refund from Royal Mail but I only got half the money back because of the value of 1st class recorded.

Now I make sure I stamp my damn address all over the back of every parcel I send!

lol my bad. So you send a package thru the mail. It gets where its going but then the post office says it does not have an address on it. so its sent to alanta as dead mail.

Dead mail is sent to Lithuania ????

;)

Its not just a U.S. thing, it happened to me with a set of Watchmen comics over here in the U.K. In hindsight I should have put a return address on the parcel but for the life of me I cannot remember why I didn't.

I guess I believed "1st Class Recorded" should have been enough.

Anyway, the day I send the parcel the person at the other end had a family emergency and left their house for 10 days. Of course my parcel ended up arriving the next day, a card was put through the door. Unfortunately Royal Mail only hold Recorded Delivery items for 7 days, if unclaimed they should go back to the return address. Of course I neglected to put one on there and the post office did not remind me.

The time the guy received the card, the parcel had gone. NO return address means it ends up in Belfast sorting office, if not claimed for a period of time it gets auctioned off. A journalist, via the freedom of information act, forced Royal Mail to admit that they make millions of pounds a year through lost post that are auctioned off.

Long story short, weeks of investigating, phone calls, emails & written letters, the parcel could not be found. I had to reimburse the buyer through paypal and then claim a refund from Royal Mail but I only got half the money back because of the value of 1st class recorded.

Now I make sure I stamp my damn address all over the back of every parcel I send!

I never knew this, good advice, thanks (thumbs u

I had this happen to me with a shipment of books I send to MCS. The only time I shipped in a comic short box. Had my return address and their address written on the top of the box lid, the lid was taped onto the box. A few weeks later I get a bag from the USPS. Its got the lid to the short box that looks like it was ripped off.

I had to fill out a form describing the box. Needless to say, it was never found.

Yeap it had the return addy on it. some how it all got ripped of at thatpost office. but i could still track it to dead mail. but the post office can figure out where it is?

strange stuff to me. / rip off