• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Walking Dead

67 posts in this topic

Is anybody reading this book???

I figured with the talk of Kirkman in the other thread, this book deserved a little attention, too.

With the deluge of "living dead" books coming to market right now, this has to be the best. The first issue was basically a melange of conceptual rip-offs from zombie movies, but after that... wooo! Cliff-hangers and nail-biters galore! The "secondary" characters could use some development, but with a cast as large as it currently is, I think Kirkman's doing the best he can. Plus, with the conclusion of this next arc, I think the ranks will be winnowed considerably... 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I just wish they would get the original artist (Tony Moore) back. His stuff was INCREDIBLE. Black and white, but the zombies STILL looked like the most disgusting things you've ever seen.

(The TPB collecting issues 1-6 is only $9.95, people! Buy it! You won't be disappointed! Don't bother trying to buy the original issues... they're through the roof (IMO) for modern books that are less than a year old.)

I'm reading this book, I liked, but the begining looks like the movie 28 days later.

Exactly... the first issue was such a blatant rip-off of so many other sources that I have to think it was done either as an homage or ... well, that really seems like the only logical possibility. Kirkman's too skilled a storyteller to "accidentally" completely ape someone ELSE'S material.

I picked this book up while browsing a comic store on South Street in downtown Philly. WOWOWOWOWOWOW!!!!! I've been a fan ever since. Finding #2 was difficult but I now have every issue,first prints. What an awesome story teller. I like that the focus isn't on the zombies as much as spotlighting how people try to cope with such a horror. Moore's art work is unbelievable, erie and gross, I love it. The story is haunting, I can't wait for the next issue. 893applaud-thumb.gif

I'm reading this book, I liked, but the begining looks like the movie 28 days later.

I picked up the first issue when it came out, read it, and never bought the second issue for this same reason. It just seemed that there were already enough movies, books, games, etc. that dealt with this same theme. Perhaps if the scope of the book has gotten more unique I should go back and give this one another shot.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I picked this book up while browsing a comic store on South Street in downtown Philly. WOWOWOWOWOWOW!!!!! I've been a fan ever since. Finding #2 was difficult but I now have every issue,first prints. What an awesome story teller. I like that the focus isn't on the zombies as much as spotlighting how people try to cope with such a horror. Moore's art work is unbelievable, erie and gross, I love it. The story is haunting, I can't wait for the next issue. 893applaud-thumb.gif

I agree wholeheartedly! The zombies and the "predicament" definitely take a back seat to the characters themselves... so cool!

It's just too bad that it sounds like Moore is gone for good. frown.gif

I picked up the first issue when it came out, read it, and never bought the second issue for this same reason. It just seemed that there were already enough movies, books, games, etc. that dealt with this same theme. Perhaps if the scope of the book has gotten more unique I should go back and give this one another shot.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Intern! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Trust me, the first book is VERY deceptive. I bought 1 & 2 at the same time, and it's a good thing I did, or I would have just skipped it after reading the first issue. Pick up the TPB... you won't be sorry!

Honestly, I can't remember the last time a comic book creeped me out like this one does... very excellent!

Intern! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Trust me, the first book is VERY deceptive. I bought 1 & 2 at the same time, and it's a good thing I did, or I would have just skipped it after reading the first issue. Pick up the TPB... you won't be sorry!

Honestly, I can't remember the last time a comic book creeped me out like this one does... very excellent!

Yeah B! Pick up the trade....and then let me borrow it! grin.gif

Great series, great writer, great artist.

If more publishers would follow Images lead, and offer 6 issues for 9.95 (yes, I know it's black & white), comics would be a bigger pert of American culture.

Great series, great writer, great artist.

If more publishers would follow Images lead, and offer 6 issues for 9.95 (yes, I know it's black & white), comics would be a bigger pert of American culture.

Too true! Alas, in the lettercol of the most recent issue he said that that was a "First Time" price (as in: "The first one's cheap, the second one will cost ya!" Damn crack dealer mentality).

Killer book so far. I'm extremely picky about which "horror" anything I give a shot, so I waited until I heard a ton of good press before I became addicted (and had to settle for a second print of #2). Little did I know that it isn't a straight horror comic. Like everyone else, I'm still pretty disappointed in the change in artist.

I may even give Invincible a whirl as much as I have no interest in the concept, I'm a Kirkman convert.

Stoked to read that Kirkman will be writing Captain America soon. I bought the Cassaday issues, but had to bail after that (even the Hairsline art couldn't fix it).

I have faith that Kirkman will bring this book back to life. Better grab his back issues quick (too late for WD, as those are already through the roof):

Capes

Brit

Reaper

Battle Pope

Invincible

Any others?

Stoked to read that Kirkman will be writing Captain America soon. I bought the Cassaday issues, but had to bail after that (even the Hairsline art couldn't fix it).

I have faith that Kirkman will bring this book back to life. Better grab his back issues quick (too late for WD, as those are already through the roof):

Capes

Brit

Reaper

Battle Pope

Invincible

Any others?

Anyone know what the prices were back then? lol

Probably similar to Thief of Thieves now, haha.. although I am not by any means making a comparison.

I find it funny that so many people were complaining about the change of artists.

I just wish Adlard kept using bigger art boards with more detail rather than smaller boards with Less detail. Anyone else notice that? You can tell that by issue 60 or so he became quite.. er.. lazy? tired? not sure what the right word is but it's very apparent.

Capes

Brit

Reaper

Battle Pope

Invincible

Any others?

The single digit issues were the only valuable ones for a LONG time. Before the show was announced 19 and 27 were cover price or less books.

Capes

Brit

Reaper

Battle Pope

Invincible

Any others?

Invincible is the next hottest Kirkman book. 2c

#1 has already exploded. There have been multiple raw NM copies sold for about $200. :gossip:

Plus, unlike the new unproven stuff, Invincible has over 90 issues and is a GREAT book. Easily one of my top 3 favorite comics I'm reading. (thumbs u

Capes

Brit

Reaper

Battle Pope

Invincible

Any others?

I remember when #1 was a $200 book and I said no way :tonofbricks:

Capes

Brit

Reaper

Battle Pope

Invincible

Any others?

I remember when #1 was a $200 book and I said no way :tonofbricks:

I got my CGC 9.6 on eBay for $160. I don't remember when that was....

Edit - not $180, $160.