• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Maus

23 posts in this topic

Anyone ever read this? I know theres at least 2 of them, they are sold as a boxed set or the first one is sold individually on amazon, and it seems like an interesting read, something along the lines of Animal Farm. What did you think of it?

Vince

"something along the lines of Animal Farm"

Not really. This is without a doubt one of the most important and superbly fashioned narratives ever attempted in comics, and the only comic book novel to date to win (and justly so) the Pulitzer Prize. There isn't enough room or time to go into how much of an achievement MAUS is as comic book literature, or just literature in general. I teach it every year in my comic book lit. class and it's the centerpiece of the semester, no question. I discover new facets in it every single year.

Arnold

You can pick them up seperately, and I would highly recommend it. I do find that if you look for them in a bookstore, they will almost always have the first one, but rarely the second one.

It was originnaly a stitched in mini comic insert inside Spiegelman's RAW Magazine.....in case you like it a lot and decide to seek out the first printings.... He also sold via mail loose extra copies of the first few mini books...

Maus is excellent. Take your time readin it, don't rush through it. It's pretty intense. The B&W format really adds that dramatic depth to the story. Awesome read.

After all these years of knowing it's 'one of the greats', I finally picked up Maus and read it yesterday. Very moving, gripping, beautifully told story. Every time I think about it today - especially the last few panels - I shed a manly tear.

Am hungry for stuff in a similar vein now, so have just added Persepolis and Palestine to my wish list.

Bought volume 1 back in the 80s and I've read it many times since. There is a Complete Maus hardcover available, which I upgraded to. A truly outstanding work.

I've read and re-read Maus at least 8-9 times, in my opinion there has never been anything like it printed in comics before. I too was one of those guys who was told how great it was by so many. It wasn't until I worked in a comic shop where so many people would tell me to read it that late in the afternoon about an hour before close I picked up the first book. It was so gripping and powerful I had to read them both, and was there about an hour/hour and a half after close (and I was always out of there RIGHT at 5:30). Some of the panels are hard to forget, and you wouldn't think that looking at cats and mice. A must read to anyone who hasn't picked it up before.

Jay

Maus is phenomenal. I've found it's a great gift to give.

Exactly. I passed my original Volume 1 softcover copy on to another collector after finding the complete story hardcover in a sale, a couple of years back. It is a very affecting book that helped to expand my appreciation of comics beyond typical mainstream material, and its new owner had much the same response.