• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Some interesting things in the May ComicLink Auction

83 posts in this topic

Congrats to whomever won the ASM 238 page. I really did think I had a good shot at it but just couldn't go higher. I have a feeling the winner would have gone much higher though...congrats again.

It ended over $12K right? If so, I cannot seriously imagine the bidding going much higher than that. (shrug)

After all, the page sat unloved on the site at $15K for several months prior to going to auction...

Before the auction started I was thinking it might hit $10K tops, so my feeling is the seller got a good price in the end.

Didn't realize it was available earlier. I do think that an auction gives a buyer some validation on price though, especially with original art where comps are a little trickier.

Congrats to whomever won the ASM 238 page. I really did think I had a good shot at it but just couldn't go higher. I have a feeling the winner would have gone much higher though...congrats again.

It ended over $12K right? If so, I cannot seriously imagine the bidding going much higher than that. (shrug)

After all, the page sat unloved on the site at $15K for several months prior to going to auction...

Before the auction started I was thinking it might hit $10K tops, so my feeling is the seller got a good price in the end.

Normally I would agree with the fact that it sitting for months on the site untouched would be a great indicator but I had 2 pieces in the auction that both sold for significantly more than the lowest price I ever offered them on the Clink main site. I think there is just that much more exposure and people checking out their auctions than the actual OA section of the site.

The ASM #6 page is already at $34K. Any prognostications on how high it'll go? Solid Spidey images, Lizard appearance (to tie in with the upcoming movie), earliest Spidey art on the market - lots of things that would push this one way up there.

$64,000!!!!! WTF!?!?!?

The ASM #6 page is already at $34K. Any prognostications on how high it'll go? Solid Spidey images, Lizard appearance (to tie in with the upcoming movie), earliest Spidey art on the market - lots of things that would push this one way up there.

$64,000!!!!! WTF!?!?!?

Movie hype. If it has Thanos it would've been $164K

$64,000!!!!! WTF!?!?!?

The Ditko Spidey market has just gone crazy! :o

Interesting now to see the difference between Ditko and Romita. In this very auction, two Ditko Spidey battle pages sold for $64,000 and $36,000, and two Romita Spidey battle pages sold for $7,700 and $6,099. Has there ever been such a huge gap in pricing between these two classic ASM artists? (shrug)

How much of Spider-Man #59 was actually penciled by John Romita? The two pages are attributed to Don Heck so the final prices are not bad at all.

That makes more sense, as I did think the prices were on the low side for Romita large art Amazing Spider-Man pages.

My original point still stands though. Is the price gap between Ditko and Romita pages getting ever wider?

Shut out of Clink, though there wasn't really anything I had to have. The war chest continues to grow for Heritage in July, its not large enough to go after McSpidey stuff but a nice low 5 figure piece hm C'mon Steve I know you can consign it. :wishluck:

Seemed like prices were really strong in this auction. The Ditko blew my mind. Another weird price was brought by an Adam Hughes Wonderman sketch that went north of 5k. I'm used to seeing these go for 2 or 3 grand, but 5? It all seems like irrational exuberance to me.

Scott Williams

The summary for me is "always the bridesmaid never the bride" :)

I was underbidder on a couple of items. DIdn't win but at least I made the winner pay an honest price :)

Too bad I had dinner plans and had to put m max bid a couple of hours before the auction ended, not sure if a manual snipe would have made a difference. Oh well

Malvin

$64,000!!!!! WTF!?!?!?

Maybe Marc Maron bought it.

The were approximately 770 large art interior asm pages drawn by ditko (not counting annuals 1-2) (38 issues but some earlier issues had 21-23 pages)

And there were 300 large art romita asm pages ever drawn.... (39-53) minus annual 3

I sold recently a large art lizard battle page from asm 44 for right about half what the asm 6 sold for... (i promised the buyer i would not disclose the exact amt.)

i only sold this page to him because he is a friend and has been asking me for about 2 years for it so i did the deal.

I started colelcting comic art in 89-90. a large art ditko asm actain page was 1000 dolalrs on avg, and i chose instead to buying large art asm pages for 40 dollars early on sometimes 75 bucks as i didnt have the big bucks for Ditko asm collecting!

the range was about 25-1 up to 12-1 for a ditko versus romita large asm pages.

I'd say a 2-1 ratio nowadays is about right.

but for small art romita asm obviously the ratio is way way bigger for ditko versus romita..

i've done many deals privately over the past 2 years on small art asm pages...all deals were for 10-17k range with spiderman on em.

on a side note...... these 2 comiclink asm 59 pages were offered to me 1-2 months ago....i agreed to pay the guy 13k for the pair through a middle man buddy and the guy balked at my offer sayinghe can get alot more.

after comiclink takes their commission he gets hundreds LESS than 13k for the pair. lol

but its part of the chance you take with auctions... sometimes you make a great profit.....sometimes you dont.

Mike

mike

$64,000!!!!! WTF!?!?!?

Question to the folks that were astonished at the $64K closing price - what do you think it should have closed at?

I was surprised by a few other results:

-Kirby JIM 106p17 = $15K

-Colan TOS 94p8 = $5.7K

-Sekowsky WW 179 page for $2.7K (yeah, change in direction, but still, no costume)

-Land Wolverine 55 page = 4.5K

$64,000!!!!! WTF!?!?!?

Question to the folks that were astonished at the $64K closing price - what do you think it should have closed at?

-Kirby JIM 106p17 = $15K

-Colan TOS 94p8 = $5.7K

-Sekowsky WW 179 page for $2.7K (yeah, change in direction, but still, no costume)

I was surprised by the Land. I had offered it on the site for 3K before. I even bought it from the Donnellys and did not take a loss on it but a slight gain. A large reason why I went a head and put it in the auction was I noticed the Yu Wolverine cover in the last big Clink auction sold for 4K which I thought it was pretty strong.

$64,000!!!!! WTF!?!?!?

-Kirby JIM 106p17 = $15K

-Colan TOS 94p8 = $5.7K

Just when we thought we knew the answers, they changed the questions!