• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ever Been In A LCS and Then....

93 posts in this topic

You can steal my new move - I created it at a show earlier this year where books had no prices and a guy quoted me "eBay prices".

What I do is drop the book like a hot potato and allow it to hit the floor then step over said book and walk away, thus causing the dealer to have to come from behind his table and pick up the possibly damaged book.

I think it may be illegal in some states to change prices at the register for specific items if it can be proven that the store does not do that with every book.

It's definitely illegal to damage other people's property. One of the stupidest things I've ever read on this site. You should be ashamed.

Edit: Thinking about this some more, your post had to be sarcasm, right? No-one could possibly be this stupid...

Thank you for getting / understanding sarcasm.

For the person that sent me the horrible email with what they would do to me -

I feel sorry for you.

Your words are that of a coward sitting at a keyboard and your ignorance is unacceptable.

I hope to never meet someone like you in life.

Share it with the world.

Curious to see what someone emailed you as well that couldnt be said in this thread. To be fair, you have mentioned your "move" in a past thread, with no mention of it being "sarcasm".

You can steal my new move - I created it at a show earlier this year where books had no prices and a guy quoted me "eBay prices".

What I do is drop the book like a hot potato and allow it to hit the floor then step over said book and walk away, thus causing the dealer to have to come from behind his table and pick up the possibly damaged book.

I think it may be illegal in some states to change prices at the register for specific items if it can be proven that the store does not do that with every book.

It's definitely illegal to damage other people's property. One of the stupidest things I've ever read on this site. You should be ashamed.

Edit: Thinking about this some more, your post had to be sarcasm, right? No-one could possibly be this stupid...

Um yeah whatever....

Why wouldn't someone place a price on something?

Would they expect this at Target?

I prefer prices on items with them being in line or lower than eBay / GPA.

A few weeks I went to a local show, a guy quoted me a ridiculous price on a book (3 times current eBay high) that I already had.

That day I created a new signature move.

I dropped it like a hot potato onto the floor and walked away, stepping over it.

I was disappointed to see this the first time, but I figured I would let it slide. You never retracted or pointed out the "sarcasm" in that thread so I felt it should be addressed this second time you posted the same story. I don't think it was funny in either instance, nor in context did it seem sarcastic.

:popcorn:

Just for reference, Talking does not = Sarcasm

and yes, a lot of people take offense when someone is talking

True, but trust me when I tell you the reaction I received was beyond someone taking offense.

The email has been sent to Arch, in hopes that the forums track IP addresses.

It has also been reported to the email provider.

The price goes up on some books you took up to the front counter?

This has happened to me twice at two different shops in the last month. I'll just give you today's example:

I went long box diving and pulled some Thanos related books that were kind of cooled off prior to the Avengers movie, but now are getting hot online, so anyway earlier today I pulled some books and then took them to the register and the price went up by a dollar per book. Shop owner said he had forgotten they were in the boxes, which a dollar per was okay and still in line with what I wanted to pay, but it seemed almost like a bad business move considering I also had a stack of about $50 worth of new titles I had just pulled off the racks.

I still took them but it seemed a little bit....hmm...off?

On one hand I feel for him because if he is like most LCS's I know he probably just doesn't have time and forgot. On the other hand, if you are a existing customer he should let it ride and if you are a new customer he should just say he was going to mark them up and forgot buy hey! Welcome to my store - thanks for coming in. But that is a whole new thread in itself right? " Nice & helpful employees at LCS's"? I think I've seen a thread complaining of gruffness and obstreperousnessnes every week on this board since 1982.

Sarcasm usually has an element of humor to it. :gossip:

When you say long box diving, do you mean the books that were available to all customers or the backstock of books that were in long boxes under the longboxes available to the customers.

I remember a store that had long boxes stacked on top of long boxes. The open long box was available to customers and the long box underneath it was stock that would go out when space became available. Because of this, many books were not priced or incorrectly priced in relation to the value at the time.

I am pretty sure there is a law that states a store, any store, has to honor the listed or sticker price on any item for sale in their establishment.. Or on the shelf where the item is.

Maybe one of the attorneys here can address that.

I am pretty sure there is a law that states a store, any store, has to honor the listed or sticker price on any item for sale in their establishment.. Or on the shelf where the item is.

How would you enforce that? Call a cop to the store and explain the price difference? Would the store clerk or owner get fined?

This happened to me once.

I knew a store owner and saw him once at another store's sale. He saw me and remembered that I bought a toy from his store awhile back and told me to drop by his store because he has the matching toy and would offer it to me for the same price ($12.99).

The store is out of the way, but I went anyway and when I got there the guy had a giant box loaded with multiples of the toy I wanted. I bring it to the counter and make sure we're still good on the price. He then puts me on hold and looks on his computer. Suddenly the price has changed to $55. The worst thing was that he was acting like he was doing me a favor by selling it for $55, saying that it goes for about $65 on eBay, and I'm saving $10.

I told him that I thought we had a deal at $12.99, and he tries to lie and say that he said $12.99 for the other figure (THE ONE I ALREADY BOUGHT FROM HIM!!). It's one thing to change the price on someone, but to tell them to drop by your store and change your price is a completely scum move. Of course, I never went back there and told every collector I know in the area about that move, so I'm sure I lost him alot of business, over $40.

Seriously, like most people, I've lost thousands by underpricing stuff over the years, but I've always honored prices when selling.

When you say long box diving, do you mean the books that were available to all customers or the backstock of books that were in long boxes under the longboxes available to the customers.

I remember a store that had long boxes stacked on top of long boxes. The open long box was available to customers and the long box underneath it was stock that would go out when space became available. Because of this, many books were not priced or incorrectly priced in relation to the value at the time.

Merchandise alphabetized with a sign hanging over head "all unpriced books are cover price" the four books I pulled were priced.

The thing is, I love going to LCS's and I generally just go by whatever the shop owner says, it just can be frustrating when transactions start getting that used car feel to them. "hmm wonder how much exactly I can get out of him for these?"

I doubt it. As I think any store can also choose not to sell to you, which then creates a loophole. Ok, I won't sell to you -- now that the price has changed, I'll consider selling to you.

A few years back, I walked into a shop and picked out a NM 98 that appeared to be in 9.2 shape priced at $5. I thought the store owner was going to pull the price increase at the counter trick because he was eyeing it for quite some time when he noticed what I had found, but he honoured the sticker price.

I recently had some books pulled out of a pile and given a "those shouldn't have been in the dollar box pile, sorry" explanation. The price didn't go up on me, he just put them behind the counter. What ticks me off is that I had fished together issues 1 - 6 of the series I kindah wanted to read (#1 is about an $8-$15 book on ebay, the rest are a $1-$3) and had done so sifting through 4 or 5 boxes. So, basically, I had done work for him finding these. No consolation prize was offered, not even some free bags and boards and I did spend over $30.

The irony is, of course, I had found a several $10-$30 books in his dollar boxes already that he had not pulled. My guess is he actually wanted to read the series (what he said) or he had a customer requesting them, as other than 1 issue, they really were dollar books.

I recently had some books pulled out of a pile and given a "those shouldn't have been in the dollar box pile, sorry" explanation. The price didn't go up on me, he just put them behind the counter. What ticks me off is that I had fished together issues 1 - 6 of the series I kindah wanted to read (#1 is about an $8-$15 book on ebay, the rest are a $1-$3) and had done so sifting through 4 or 5 boxes. So, basically, I had done work for him finding these. No consolation prize was offered, not even some free bags and boards and I did spend over $30.

ok thats crappy.

If the books are out for sale. They are for sale. I understand a price change due to mis-filing or customers moving books. But if its on the floor its for sale.

ok thats crappy.

If the books are out for sale. They are for sale. I understand a price change due to mis-filing or customers moving books. But if its on the floor its for sale.

I've done pretty well at this shop so I didn't want to raise a stink and I also don't want to raise a stink and have him decide to double check his dollar boxes in general. My six year old also tortures him with comic related questions while I dig through the cheap-o boxes so I gave him a pass this time.