• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

McFarlane at his best at Heritage Auctions!

546 posts in this topic

Robert Boyd on the ASM #328 Sale

"Yes, this stupid piece of by Todd McFarlane, doing his rehash of other people's ideas--ideas that had long since been beaten into the ground through inane repetition--sold for more than half a million dollars. I can't imagine what hopeless philistine would spend $657,250 for this."

Thoughts? :blush:

"Yes, this stupid piece of by Todd McFarlane, doing his rehash of other people's ideas--ideas that had long since been beaten into the ground through inane repetition--sold for more than half a million dollars. I can't imagine what hopeless philistine would spend $657,250 for this."

I do not know who Robert Boyd is or what makes him qualified to be an "expert" on such matters but he seems like another stuffy shirt without a clue trying to tell me what is art and what is not. Totally pretentious and intellectually bankrupt.

I do not know who Robert Boyd is or what makes him qualified to be an "expert" on such matters but he seems like another stuffy shirt without a clue trying to tell me what is art and what is not. Totally pretentious and intellectually bankrupt.

I totally agree. That said, I personally think whoever really bought it must have a screw loose. (I'm sure it wasn't Fishler's $ on the table for that one)

I totally agree. That said, I personally think whoever really bought it must have a screw loose. (I'm sure it wasn't Fishler's $ on the table for that one)

I think the buyer has a good eye and just does not care about worthless government fiat paper cranked out by the Central banks like there is no tomorrow. I see the value for the ASM 328 cover.

But value aside - The fact that there were 2 bidders that brought the price to its level speaks to its appeal. Buy what you love and you can never go wrong. If I had the money, I would buy it. If you have the money, spend it on what you like.

And the ASM 328 comic book was very popular back issue when i worked in a comic book store. Its a strong image on the cover of that book and one of the most popular in McFarlane's whole run on the ASM title.

I think he was talking about ASM #15, not AF #15.

This thread is like an Abbott and Costello skit.

lol

I'm not sure what anyone else was talking about :insane: but yes I was referring to the #15 kraven cover, since it was on the previous posters list of known ditkos...

ie 8,15,28,30

I remember seeing a pic of the 28 and didn't like it as much, and 30 to me is not a good one at all... but 8 and 15 are nice.

I think he was talking about ASM #15, not AF #15.

This thread is like an Abbott and Costello skit.

lol

I'm not sure what anyone else was talking about :insane: but yes I was referring to the #15 kraven cover, since it was on the previous posters list of known ditkos...

ie 8,15,28,30

I remember seeing a pic of the 28 and didn't like it as much, and 30 to me is not a good one at all... but 8 and 15 are nice.

I was offered the # 8 for 250k in 2004. But sadly the # 8 has gone up in flames. I wish I could have saved it from its death. If only i had known, that alone would have been reason to pull the trigger :(

I was offered the # 8 for 250k in 2004. But sadly the # 8 has gone up in flames. I wish I could have saved it from its death. If only i had known, that alone would have been reason to pull the trigger :(

That really is a shame if it has been lost forever. :(

That said, to me #8 is proabaly one of Ditko's weakest covers.

That said, I personally think whoever really bought it must have a screw loose. (I'm sure it wasn't Fishler's $ on the table for that one)

Why does everyone seem to think that Metro is being less than forthright about the circumstances of this sale? I'm told by people who have spoken to them that they're maintaining they bought it for their collection and not on behalf of anyone. (shrug)

That said, I personally think whoever really bought it must have a screw loose. (I'm sure it wasn't Fishler's $ on the table for that one)

Why does everyone seem to think that Metro is being less than forthright about the circumstances of this sale? I'm told by people who have spoken to them that they're maintaining they bought it for their collection and not on behalf of anyone. (shrug)

steve spent, he said, many many years trying to buy the flash 123 cover and finally purchased it IIRC for some sum a little north of 100k. he seemed over the moon to finally have his grail.

Does that fit the profile of somebody that would spend 675k on a mcfarlane cover purely for collection purposes with no other motive?

Maybe, but I question it.

also, flip through this collection of covers http://www.metropoliscomics.com/load_gallery.php?dir=gallery/gallery1&perpage=20&perrow=4&pagenum=0

What do you see? Lots of DC. Lots of golden age. Little Marvel. Almost ZERO past the 70s.

Is that the profile of someone that would spend 675k on a cover from 1990 for purely collection purposes?

Vinnie told me that bought it for themselves as well. At least that is what I remember him saying last week when we talked about it.

That really is a shame if it has been lost forever. :(

That said, to me #8 is proabaly one of Ditko's weakest covers.

You're not the first person here I've seen say that the #8 cover is weak

That being said, it's easily one of my personal favorites of the Ditko run.

same here.

Vinnie told me that bought it for themselves as well. At least that is what I remember him saying last week when we talked about it.

I hear you Roy, but let's say I bought it for other reasons.

If somebody asked me why, I'd tell them it was for myself all day long, even if it wasn't. After all if I'm playing a game I'm certainly not going to show my cards.

The point is, whether they are being 110% forthright or not, either way the answer from them would be the same if I were in their shoes.

Since I am not in their shoes, this is total speculation and unfair to metro and who really knows about any of this so I will stop.

I have no reason to believe its anything other than what they say, but the purchase just strikes me as such an odd choice for them that I can't help but speculate a little. Remember too that to you have to have not one but two guys sign off on this since its 50/50 ownership.

also, flip through this collection of covers http://www.metropoliscomics.com/load_gallery.php?dir=gallery/gallery1&perpage=20&perrow=4&pagenum=0

What do you see? Lots of DC. Lots of golden age. Little Marvel. Almost ZERO past the 70s.

Is that the profile of someone that would spend 675k on a cover from 1990 for purely collection purposes?

Metro has one of the best collections of artwork.

That just makes me want to puke. Like pack my bags and throw in the towel.

:tonofbricks:

That just makes me want to puke. Like pack my bags and throw in the towel.

:tonofbricks:

No way Roy. You've got great taste, and an incredible appreciation for the art form as a whole and for the individuals who have created it.

No amount of money can buy taste, and no concentration of conspicuous acquisition should chase that from your soul.

Their online gallery does not encompass their entire collection. I believe the ASM #301 cover is in the Metro collection for example.