• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

McFarlane at his best at Heritage Auctions!

546 posts in this topic

No way Roy. You've got great taste, and an incredible appreciation for the art form as a whole and for the individuals who have created it.

Gee, thanks.

:blush:

It's just disheartening to know how many truly special pieces are locked up, though. I mean, they have JIM #83 pieces lining the bathroom walls for goodness sake.

:facepalm:

No way Roy. You've got great taste, and an incredible appreciation for the art form as a whole and for the individuals who have created it.

Gee, thanks.

It's just disheartening to know how many truly special pieces are locked up, though. I mean, they have JIM #83 pieces lining the bathroom walls for goodness sake.

They are hardly 'locked up' like art in some of the bigger black hole collections. At least Metro display a large chunk of the art they own, for the rest of the collecting community to appreciate. :cloud9:

Gee, thanks.

What's that smell? Eau de Thor?? lol

also, flip through this collection of covers http://www.metropoliscomics.com/load_gallery.php?dir=gallery/gallery1&perpage=20&perrow=4&pagenum=0

What do you see? Lots of DC. Lots of golden age. Little Marvel. Almost ZERO past the 70s.

Is that the profile of someone that would spend 675k on a cover from 1990 for purely collection purposes?

Maybe, but I question it.

Their online gallery does not encompass their entire collection. I believe the ASM #301 cover is in the Metro collection for example.

ehh, fair enough but if I had to guess I'd say they'd rather collect 675k than collect any one mcfarlane cover :baiting:

they have JIM #83 pieces lining the bathroom walls for goodness sake.

All the more reason to take shelter in your appreciation and your good taste.

also, flip through this collection of covers http://www.metropoliscomics.com/load_gallery.php?dir=gallery/gallery1&perpage=20&perrow=4&pagenum=0

What do you see? Lots of DC. Lots of golden age. Little Marvel. Almost ZERO past the 70s.

Is that the profile of someone that would spend 675k on a cover from 1990 for purely collection purposes?

Their online gallery does not encompass their entire collection. I believe the ASM #301 cover is in the Metro collection for example.

ehh, fair enough but if I had to guess I'd say they'd rather collect 675k than collect any one mcfarlane cover :baiting:

Totally agree with you. I think anyone that has been paying attention probably has a pretty good idea as to where this cover will end up.

Here's a hypothetical. Let's say there is a buyer out there that has a ton of collateral that they need to sell in order to fund this purchase. Let's say Metropolis might be interested in taking this material on consignment...so much so that they will front his/her purchase of this artwork to seal the deal. The end buyer remains anonymous, Metropolis makes money in the long run, and gets to take all of the credit and publicity related to the purchase. Sound like a good deal for all involved (aside from the fact that the buyer obviously overpaid by a healthy margin)?

It's not overpaid by much since there was a second bidder. There was someone besides Steve/Vince that wanted it.

If you are into conspiracy theories, how about this. They bought it to pry something out of that collectors hands.

Totally agree with you. I think anyone that has been paying attention probably has a pretty good idea as to where this cover will end up.

My category, I guess (haven't been paying too much attention). Since I have no appreciation for McFarlane's art, this has just seemed like a nutty price to me. (shrug)

Out of curiosity, where do you think this cover will end up? :gossip:

It's not overpaid by much since there was a second bidder. There was someone besides Steve/Vince that wanted it.

If you are into conspiracy theories, how about this. They bought it to pry something out of that collectors hands.

Who was the under-bidder?

Who was the under-bidder?

I was the under, under, under, under, under, under-bidder (thumbs u

Yup, don't get me wrong, I agree that something doesn't quite add up. I'm still baffled that at least two collectors would rather have the ASM #328 cover over the SM #1 cover + 300k.

Gee, thanks.

"Great taste" and "Bathroom walls" should never be talked about at the same time :sick:

I mean, they have JIM #83 pieces lining the bathroom walls for goodness sake.

These pages have now been flagged.

Seinfeld?

George taking the books into the can?

Gee, thanks.

"Great taste" and "Bathroom walls" should never be talked about at the same time :sick:

Of course you would know! :)