• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

McFarlane at his best at Heritage Auctions!

546 posts in this topic

BTW this guy shamus is a total dirt bag, I had a deal to buy all the WM covers yes all 12 of them and once the deal was done he was shopping my price to try to get a higher price. Oh then he re-negged on the deal. I was gonna try to sue his just to cause him financial pain but then i decided not to. Thats my story and im sticking to it.

The owner of the WM covers is a different person than the owner of these pieces.

brothers...? hm

Heh. Who knows how ownership is listed on paper. However, it's always been understood that one person owned the WM covers and these pieces. At least at the time BleekerBob had his deal.

Sorry BB got screwed. But, obviously, Steve had nothing to do with that. Congrats to you on the massive consignment, Steve!

Thanks! It wasn't all me, Ed and Todd helped with this as well.

FYI, the owner of the WM pages never owned these pieces and ownership was never changed on paper.

BTW, I have no dog in this fight, just telling the truth.

No worries. No dog in this fight, either, other than BB being a friend.

Again, no idea who owns the WM covers now. All we know is that at the time BB had his deal, Gareb Shamus owned them. That's a matter of public record.

The pieces being sold in the upcoming auction are being touted by Heritage as the "Shamus Modern Masterworks Collection".

Must be another Shamus.

(No snark intended...as JJeanius suggests, it may be a family member.)

It's Martin Shamus. For many years, he was buying pieces by the artists he loved. I am pretty sure the press release, when it comes out, will cover everything. I like BB and I like Garab, I was just stating that this collection was not Garabs.

It's all good (thumbs u

Consigner info above. :gossip:

At the end of the day, it represented a young, superstar artist trying to push the limits and find his voice.

It's also over 2 decades old.

At the time it sold like wildfire as it was in my heday of buying new issues. You couldn't keep McFarlane in stock. As a 19 year old kid it was magic.

You can't compare it to stories today much like you can't compare any era to the present...each has it's nuances and feel.

I liked looking for the hidden spiders in the covers.

I guess the consignor isn't concerned about flooding the market with McFarlane covers. Recession? What recession?

It's nice to see the covers out for public viewing.

Cheers!

N.

So far, I am tracking almost every piece of art in this auction. The quality of material is just insane. (worship)

For that kind of money I'd rather have a Romita cover AND a Frazetta painting.

Well, if an A+++ Frazetta painting was up for auction, I'd be talking about how I'd rather have 12 McFarlane Spider-Man covers 'for that kind of money.' lol

If you want the absolute best example of an artist's work, it's always going to cost stupid money - the kind of money that can buy multiple 'good' examples from other top aritsts.

I guess the consignor isn't concerned about flooding the market with McFarlane covers. Recession? What recession?

It's nice to see the covers out for public viewing.

Cheers!

N.

So far, I am tracking almost every piece of art in this auction. The quality of material is just insane. (worship)

Great timing by whoever owns the Vengeance of Bane covers. I don't think there will ever be a better time to move them at auction.

I'm enjoying the pre-fireworks here. Great stuff. Such iconic covers all in one auction.

Any guessing on how these other featured covers will do?

I have a feeling the Bagley Venom #1 cover will exceed expectations and then some. After what happened with the ASM #363 cover in the last auction, the sky's the limit.

hmm its certainly a much better cover than the 363 so I see where you are going with that

Yep, and if I am remembering it correctly that was one of the books that was submitted heavily when CGC first opened its doors. That heavy cardstock cover made for some high grades. So that was one of the first widely slabbed books that traded hands.

This might sound silly but I would not be shocked if it more than doubled up the 363 auction price.

It sounds silly because it is silly but I have to admit based on the 363 alone I was suddenly thinking 25k+ doh! HOpefully sanity will prevail. Doubt it.