• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

McFarlane at his best at Heritage Auctions!

546 posts in this topic

It sounds silly because it is silly but I have to admit based on the 363 alone I was suddenly thinking 25k+ doh! HOpefully sanity will prevail. Doubt it.

Well, if we go by what I thought they were going to sell for, it would have been $5k on the #363 and close to $10k on the Venom 1. After the #363 sold it became official that I am old and should not be listened to in any way.

It sounds silly because it is silly but I have to admit based on the 363 alone I was suddenly thinking 25k+ doh! HOpefully sanity will prevail. Doubt it.

Well, if we go by what I thought they were going to sell for, it would have been $5k on the #363 and close to $10k on the Venom 1. After the #363 sold it became official that I am old and should not be listened to in any way.

Will the fact that there are real gems in this auction detract or add to the value of a Venom 1?

Perhaps the 363 sold for as much as did because there just wasn't anything else to bid on. You know how those rich collectors get itchy trigger fingers when they have cash with nothing else to spend it on.

Will the fact that there are real gems in this auction detract or add to the value of a Venom 1?

Perhaps the 363 sold for as much as did because there just wasn't anything else to bid on. You know how those rich collectors get itchy trigger fingers when they have cash with nothing else to spend it on.

I don't think the Venom #1 cover is in the same ballpark as some of the other covers on offer in this auction, as far as a big ticket item goes.

Having said that, it's a pretty iconic piece in its own right, and will certainly hold a much higher ownership cache than an unimportant, and quite frankly underwhelming, ASM cover (363). hm

Personally, I think the Venom cover image destroys the 363 cover image. I've never been a fan of floating heads.

On the other hand, I'm not sure that one sale is enough to create a crazy Bagley market.

363 is a main-title Spidey cover from an important(ish) story-line, while the Venom cover is only borderline classic because everybody and their mother saw it over and over while buying 10 copies during the height of the speculator era.

I'll predict that it beats 363, but just barely at $20,500.

Personally, I think the Venom cover image destroys the 363 cover image. I've never been a fan of floating heads.

On the other hand, I'm not sure that one sale is enough to create a crazy Bagley market.

Agreed. The Bagley ASM #367 cover was listed on ComicLink at an opportunistic $12K right after the #363 sale (now upped to $13K!) but no takers (or even offers) thus far. The #367 cover may have just been a fluke.

That said, the association with the other illustrious members of the Shamus Collection may very well cause the Venom cover to sell for a stupid price as well.

Agreed. The Bagley ASM #367 cover was listed on ComicLink at an opportunistic $12K right after the #363 sale (now upped to $13K!) but no takers (or even offers) thus far. The #367 cover may have just been a fluke.

That said, the association with the other illustrious members of the Shamus Collection may very well cause the Venom cover to sell for a stupid price as well.

I don't think the #367 cover is a good comp. though. lol

Even people who never read those books know who Venom is, I probably read 367 back when it came out and I couldn't tell you at gunpoint who anyone but Spidey on that cover is.

There are the covers people remember from memory and then there's everything else. The hammer prices will usually tell you which is which.

I'm enjoying the pre-fireworks here. Great stuff. Such iconic covers all in one auction.

Any guessing on how these other featured covers will do?

I have a feeling the Bagley Venom #1 cover will exceed expectations and then some. After what happened with the ASM #363 cover in the last auction, the sky's the limit.

At the end of the day, I think Bagley is one of the top 5 or 6 Spidey artists of all time, but he largely does not get his due because the work is still too recent.

Judging by the recent sale of ASM 363 (which is a memorable cover, but artistically it's not that amazing...just three floating heads), it looks like he might finally start getting his due.

It will be interesting to see how ASM covers do vs USM covers going forward. On one hand, the ASM covers are inked, and are older. On the other, USM was a high point of the last 10+ years, and (IMO) Bagley really came into his own on that title. Too bad the vast majority of those covers are pencils only (and many of them are also quite generic "pinup" covers).

I'm enjoying the pre-fireworks here. Great stuff. Such iconic covers all in one auction.

Any guessing on how these other featured covers will do?

I have a feeling the Bagley Venom #1 cover will exceed expectations and then some. After what happened with the ASM #363 cover in the last auction, the sky's the limit.

At the end of the day, I think Bagley is one of the top 5 or 6 Spidey artists of all time, but he largely does not get his due because the work is still too recent.

Judging by the recent sale of ASM 363 (which is a memorable cover, but artistically it's not that amazing...just three floating heads), it looks like he might finally start getting his due.

It will be interesting to see how ASM covers do vs USM covers going forward. On one hand, the ASM covers are inked, and are older. On the other, USM was a high point of the last 10+ years, and (IMO) Bagley really came into his own on that title. Too bad the vast majority of those covers are pencils only (and many of them are also quite generic "pinup" covers).

Yes, and another thing to consider is the Bagley ASM covers have been in permanent collections for several years and rarely exchange hands. In fact, several were never even offered for sale. On the flipside, Bagely's USM covers are ubiquitous.

If memory serves, the cover to Venom 1 (maybe the black variant?) was actually the very first book to receive a CGC 10.0.

Your memory serves you well, sir! (thumbs u