• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

McFarlane at his best at Heritage Auctions!

546 posts in this topic

YES!!!

I am have taken the lead :acclaim: .........wait, what?....dammit OUTBID! :cry:

barf, you may be right :sick: I really haven't the foggiest clue what this could go for but I can't say I rule out anything, high or "low"

no kidding! considering the ASM 313 sold for what, $75k or so on ebay not that long ago, $120k feels like an ending price to me not a starting price. Will be fun to watch! :popcorn:

So much good stuff in this auction. I am scrambling furiously trying to generate the cash I would think it will take to win an item or two on my watch list, but I expect to come up empty for sure.

no kidding! considering the ASM 313 sold for what, $75k or so on ebay not that long ago, $120k feels like an ending price to me not a starting price. Will be fun to watch! :popcorn:

But the ASM 313 sale was from an unknown seller on eBay that many potential buyers were hesitant to bid on and skeptical to deal with. And the auction winner/current owner had no small amount of difficulty completing the deal. Who knows what it would have actually sold for if sold on CL or HA. The hammer price of the ASM 313 reflected a price that was reasonable enough that the buyer was expecting and willing to go through some struggle to secure it. It was not necessarily fair market value. That would much less likely have been the case with CL or HA.

But the ASM 313 sale was from an unknown seller on eBay that many potential buyers were hesitant to bid on and skeptical to deal with. And the auction winner/current owner had no small amount of difficulty completing the deal. Who knows what it would have actually sold for if sold on CL or HA. The hammer price of the ASM 313 reflected a price that was reasonable enough that the buyer was expecting and willing to go through some struggle to secure it. It was not necessarily fair market value. That would much less likely have been the case with CL or HA.

Right. Not to mention the appeal of the 328 cover over the 313 cover :grin:

good points

Everyone who was into McFarlane was watching that auction, and most placed bids. If you dig up the old thread about it, people were surprised at the final price, even the McFarlane nuts. I'm not so sure it would have sold for more at HA or Clink. I think the "fresh-to-market" appeal trumped any concerns about the seller. Anyone who says they would have bid more, if only it was on HA/Clink, I think is indulging in a bit of fantasy/revisionist history.

HA does allow for time payments and other "creative" financing options, which some consider an advantage. But I can pay with a credit card via PayPal with eBay, which is essentially the same thing as interest-charging time payments with HA, and credit card/PayPal also offers buyer protection.

The 2012 McFarlane market is not the same as the 2009 McFarlane market. $75K (or whatever it was) was a big chunk of change for that cover, and a necessary stepping stone to get to where the market perceives values today.

A couple of these auctions could end up similar to that last Watterson auction. People were expecting a frenzy during the live bidding, but all interested parties had just placed their max bid online the day before.

Bidding techniques are constantly evolving it seems. People trying not to be too predictable.

One day in and SM1 is currently at $215.

All the great Mcfarlance covers have been trading for big money privately for quite some time. The 313 which I bought was the only one that the public got to see. There have been several transactions at and above 100k before Heritage got these covers.

I'll tell you this. I heard Gareb Shamus consigned 60 works with Heritage, I don't know what the others are yet but how many are in this catalog? 15 or so at a quick count. Sure the Spidy 1 is a killer but what's on the way?