• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Flee-Marquette Shawarma report.... (Avengers Spoilers)

102 posts in this topic

shawarma-avengers.jpg

So after watching the Avengers movie twice in the last week or so, I was curious about the after

credits scene where they are sitting in a restaurant eating Shawarma. I had never heard of this

sandwich and googled it to see what the fuss was about. It sounded good: shaved, grilled meat

in a pita with grilled veggies, hummus, etc. I found a place in Orlando called The Falafel Cafe

right outside of the entrance of the University of Central Florida, so we headed over there for lunch.

There on the front of the restaurant it said Shawarma. :banana:

falafel-cafe.jpg

It was a small place, with middle-eastern music playing and travel posters on the walls.

I looked at what the other patrons were eating and it all looked good. I saw spinach pies,

Greek-style salads, and lentil soup. We quickly perused the menu, but we were there

for the Shawarma. I ordered the beef and my wife ordered the chicken. After a small

wait, the waiter brought out our orders and set them in front of us. My wife said, "there

is no way we are going to finish these".

Shawarma-plate.jpg

Their version of Shawarma had thinly sliced beef that was grilled in lemon juice and

seasonings, with mushrooms, onions, peppers, lettuce, tomatoes, and tahini sauce.

This was all stuffed into a thin bread shell that was sealed and toasted. Kind of like

a meat pie.

shawarma-half.jpg

Because a lot of the sandwich is lettuce and tomatoes and it tasted great, it wasn't that

hard to finish it. I asked the waiter if he had noticed an increase in sales due to the

Avengers movie. He said that a few people had mentioned the movie. He also said that

he was a huge comic book fan and that he was excited to see Thanos was going to be

the next villain. I asked him what he thought about the final after credits scene with the

Avengers in the restaurant and he didn't know about it. I think he is going back to see it

again for the Shawarma scene. Now he knows why people were coming into the restaurant

talking about the movie. doh!

Since we were in Orlando, we headed over to Jeremiah's Italian Ice across the street for

dessert.

jeremiahs-menu.jpg

I ordered the Mango Margarita Gelati. This stuff is like crack to me. It is a mixture of

Italian ice and soft-serve ice cream. It is a good thing that we live a good distance from

this place.

jeremiahs-gelati.jpg

So the Shawarma gets 2 thumbs up from the Flee clan. If you haven't tried it, give it a shot.

If you haven't seen the movie yet, you may want to familiarize yourself with this tasty

sandwich first, because it plays heavily in the movie plot. :gossip:

shawarma-black-widow.jpg

shawarma-thor.jpg

shawarma-hulk.jpg

Their version of Shawarma had thinly sliced beef that was grilled in lemon juice and

seasonings, with mushrooms, onions, peppers, lettuce, tomatoes, and tahini sauce.

This was all stuffed into a thin bread shell that was sealed and toasted. Kind of like

a meat pie.

shawarma-half.jpg

You've just inspired me to try my hand at making these, except with chicken.

I'm suddenly very hungry, thanks. :makepoint:

Falafel rules. Never tried shwarma while I lived in NYC. It's probably equally as awesome.

Tahini sauce :cloud9:

So the Shawarma gets 2 thumbs up from the Flee clan. If you haven't tried it, give it a shot.

If you haven't seen the movie yet, you may want to familiarize yourself with this tasty

sandwich first, because it plays heavily in the movie plot. :gossip:

shawarma-black-widow.jpg

shawarma-thor.jpg

shawarma-hulk.jpg

:roflmao: -this was worth the wait, the shawarma scene in the movie, not so much

http://jackseattle.radio.com/2012/05/11/the-avengers-shawarma-scene-explained-in-detail-video-ifull/

Nationwide, shawarma restaurants have scene a spike in regards to the film. I personally thought the scene was brilliant, on several levels. Mostly "de-masking" the superheroes, and showing exactly how tired they were after...well saving the world. It's Whedon's humor through and through.

Great vid's Flee!!!

Shwarma is good.

If I had to get stuck on an island with a short list of food, Shwarma would be close to the top, if not in the pole position.