• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Flee-Marquette Shawarma report.... (Avengers Spoilers)

102 posts in this topic

That's what I thought they were talking about. Here in the UK, something to eat after a night out drinking and the pubs have shut, the classic Doner Kebab.  Basically, anyway.

I have one once a week at a Greek place for lunch, but they call it a Donair.

I have some once a week at a Mexican place for lunch, but they call it a Taco.

:roflmao:

Note that there are THREE A's in Shawarma... :baiting:

(Some people are consistently misspelling it.)

If you like we can discuss incorrect uses of the possessive apostrophe. :baiting:

I agree, having looked it up, "shawarma" seems the popular spelling. However, a transliteration can have alternate spellings. For example, in the North Indian music I study the same ragas (pieces of music) can be spelled differently: Shree or Sri. Bahiravi or Bhoiroibi. Malkauns or Malkosh, Kannada or Kanara, Todi or Tori etc etc.

I don't trust any single transliteration.

I just love how you guys are freely interchanging Turkish and Greek food. :P

What about Lebanon, Syria, Jordan etc etc?

:banana: It all sounds quite gaseous! :banana:

That's what I thought they were talking about. Here in the UK, something to eat after a night out drinking and the pubs have shut, the classic Doner Kebab.  Basically, anyway.

Doners are so nice but filled with nasty meat that probably isn't meat at all. Have stopped eating them as I wake with bad indigestion.

When we go to Greece I love gyros too. They're all good.

How the hell do you pronounce shawarma anyway?

Doners are so nice but filled with nasty meat that probably isn't meat at all. Have stopped eating them as I wake with bad indigestion.

When we go to Greece I love gyros too. They're all good.

How the hell do you pronounce shawarma anyway?

El Gato Taco :banana:

So has anyone else been motivated to go try this because of the movie? Or

does everyone already know about Shawarma and I have just been out of the loop. :facepalm:

I had my first Shoarma (that's how it's called over here) over 30 years ago... in my town of 70.000 there are at least 5 - 6 Shoarma places. To put things into perspective...there is only one Mcdonalds, one Pizza Hut and no other fast-food places at all.

Shoarma is your typical late night-snack, it's what you crave when you stumble out of a bar at 3 AM. Mainly because they almost never close and are open when nothing else is.

Ours are served very much like yours, except the piece of bread is sliced open and you get 3 or 4 condiments in little pots which you can pile on to your heart's delight. The more drunk you are the more sambal oelek (Middle Eastern ground chili sauce) you put in...making sure you have something to make the hangover even worse.

Most Shoarma places are cheap and cheerful and have picture menus as the owners most of the time only speak Arabic or some other other Middle Eastern language.

The last five years a lot of Turks have been opening their version of the Shorma place where they serve Durum rolls or Donner Kebab which is pretty similar but smaller and not really as good.

I just love how you guys are freely interchanging Turkish and Greek food. :P

What about Lebanon, Syria, Jordan etc etc?

Turkish food spawned the Lebanonese, Syrian, and Jordanian cuisines. The Ottoman Empire as it were.

Many "Mediterannian" restaurants will call themselves that and claim they have Greek food but they are really just falafel huts in disguise. ;)

Yes I was out in front of the movie theater pimping flyers for Orlando Comic Expo at 3am

(missed the 2nd secret scene)

Guerilla Marketing 101 (worship)

Can you imagine the sales if someone had set up a Shawarma Cart right outside

of the theater on opening weekend? If just a small percentage of curious patrons

were converted, you could have found a new batch of customers for your

restaurant.

:idea:

Their version of Shawarma had thinly sliced beef that was grilled in lemon juice and

seasonings, with mushrooms, onions, peppers, lettuce, tomatoes, and tahini sauce.

This was all stuffed into a thin bread shell that was sealed and toasted. Kind of like

a meat pie.

shawarma-half.jpg

Our neighbor's dog drug a rabbit that had been dead along the roadside for a few days into our backyard the other day. It looked much like the inside of that thing.

Their version of Shawarma had thinly sliced beef that was grilled in lemon juice and

seasonings, with mushrooms, onions, peppers, lettuce, tomatoes, and tahini sauce.

This was all stuffed into a thin bread shell that was sealed and toasted. Kind of like

a meat pie.

shawarma-half.jpg

Our neighbor's dog drug a rabbit that had been dead along the roadside for a few days into our backyard the other day. It looked much like the inside of that thing.

What did it taste like? :hi:

hm
Thinly sliced grilled steak,

grilled onions, peppers, mushrooms,

lettuce, tomatoes, in a thin bread shell

You know you could handle it Gator. :baiting:

as long as they serve coke zero hm

a meat pie.

shawarma-half.jpg

What did it taste like? :hi:

Like I said, have a few beers first.  That will make it look and taste a lot better. No, that has to be one of the worst I've ever seen. :sick::roflmao: