• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please Grade this Strange Tales 113

55 posts in this topic

grman.jpg

No one gets it?

Green River? Err, that a pedigree? Little to no education on that sort of thing. =)

Or maybe its the Yellow Oar pedigree. Or the Needs A Shave pedigree.

Hi DKB,

Green River is, in fact, a pedigree collection. It was owned by a man who for many years was suspected to be the infamous Green River serial killer. Most Green Rivers have a date stamp on the front cover. I have have seen a number of Green Rivers owned by fellow forumite sckao, and they are awesome looking comic books with gorgeous page quality.

Do a search for Green River on these boards, and you'll find some terrific, informative reading.

A listing of Green River books compiled by sckao can be found here:

http://www.corpcity.com/cgc/

grman.jpg

No one gets it?

Green River? Err, that a pedigree? Little to no education on that sort of thing. =)

Or maybe its the Yellow Oar pedigree. Or the Needs A Shave pedigree.

isnt that Hulk creek!? 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

8.5 due primarily to pre-chipping on right edge. Great book!

yup - that's what i think as well. (8.0 to 8.5 and leaning towards the latter). pretty book. thumbsup2.gif i've got 2 copies of this but not sure either one is this nice..............

Well seeing as how CGC graded this an 8.0. I can't imagine that book being above a 7.5. frown.gif

Brian

Nice book, Brian. Have you called CGC for grading notes on it to determine why they only gave it 8.0? How does the back look, and are there any issues with the interior?

Cheers,

-Jim

I'm not really sure obviously but sometimes it does seem that way. I am just now starting to send in my stuff and I only have one pedigree book and it isn't anything special (TOS 81 MH II). I would estimate it a 8.5 maybe a 9.0. So, I will see when it comes back if the grade bump is real...lol. I have been reading a lot on the grading boards lately because you guys have a lot of knowledge and experience. I think I have learned a lot but have much much more to go. As for the grade bumping, I only say it because I watch a lot my local shop's books get sent in and I have seen some very generous grades to Key Books and Pedigree. I use "very generous" somewhat loosely. And this is compare to other books of the same title. I think it is just perception sometimes. Grading is very subjective.

Well, do you think this potential Green River copy is better than the one the other guy posted? If you think you are going to send it in to be slabbed maybe you should critique your book against his known 9.0. When your book comes back post it again on a new thread comparing pedigree to non-. Just see what happens. confused-smiley-013.gif

Certain pedigree books will get favorable treatment (IMO). But that's usually for GA and maybe early Silver-Age. And the real reason, I believe, is that most pedigrees have nicer colors and gloss than non-pedigrees. The "freshness" of the book in itself is worth a notch or two up in grading.

Lastly, I don't believe the a Mile High II would get anymore favorable treatment than a non-pedigree book. sorry.gif

Stark, make sure that when you send in the MH2 book, you include a copy of the certificate if you got one, and a copy of your receipt if you have one. CGC asks that you provide some kind of documentation that you bought the book as a pedigree. They like to know the source. If you have any questions, call them up beforehand.

Red