• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ComicLink Auction

83 posts in this topic

The average prices in this auction were exponentially higher than the last 10-12 CLink auctions..........could the cause be:

a) Movie Hype

b) Tax Return Bump

c) Economy Turnaround (lol)

d) End of the World 6 months away so everyone saying "F It" & buying whatever their hearts' desire

e) Some Combination of all of the above

f) None of the above........I'm overanalyzing because of my Bachelor's of Psychology (currently being wasted on Poker & Comic book trend overanalyzing)

Sounds like you fit right into this nuthouse! Welcome! :foryou:

I'm going with some of the above plus personally the uk time difference thing really influenced a last min bid on tales of suspense #39 at 4.5 even though I know Iv overpaid. Wanted this book for so long and missed a few so got dragged into this. Didn't want to buy this book with regrets. Please someone reassure me

faf47499.jpg

Rise is price may be due to movie hypes, new collectors and investors. Other than that, I don't know what else is causing it

The stock market has been sucking donkey balls for the last couple of months, and virtually every bit of news about the economic Recovery worldwide is bad. Historically, comics have held up well during difficult economic times, and with all news about comics as investments on FoxNews, CNN, and all the headlines that the million dollar sales of the past few years have generated, its safe to assume that there is a fair amount of money (and in some cases, really big money) coming into the market. That tends to trickle down to the middle tiers of buyers too....afterall, would you rather stick $5,000 into your ROTH IRA this year and watch it become $4,000 by next year, or buy a TOS # 39 in 7.0 that always seems to go up, or at least, hold its own.

Just my thoughts anyway....

The 8.0 X-Men #1 went for a strong price me thinks

upgrade.

Upgrade to a 8.5? Even at that ending price, it's like paying for a 8.5

Yes, someone did that with the one book I wanted. It sold for virtually the next higher grade price. I wish people would not buy books to resubmit them to make money.

This has never made any sense to me. How are you making money if you are paying essentially the 8.5 price for the 8.0 that you hope to upgrade to 8.5? Now, if you pay the 8.5 price to upgrade to a 9.0 or 9.2 that is one thing, but paying for upgrade potential is a risky business.

upgrade.

Yes, someone did that with the one book I wanted. It sold for virtually the next higher grade price. I wish people would not buy books to resubmit them to make money.

This has never made any sense to me. How are you making money if you are paying essentially the 8.5 price for the 8.0 that you hope to upgrade to 8.5? Now, if you pay the 8.5 price to upgrade to a 9.0 or 9.2 that is one thing, but paying for upgrade potential is a risky business.

My thoughts exactly... Unless they think the book can get a 9.0

upgrade.

My thoughts exactly... Unless they think the book can get a 9.0

Exactly, mine was a 9.2 book that somebody paid about 80% of the 9.4 price, which should be close to double the 9.2 price.

I bid high on a 9.2 ASM 50 two months ago, because it looked like a 9.4, but aesthetically better than my 9.4 copy. I would have been happy with that book in either grade.

That's a strong price for an 8.0. I recall someone mention an 8.5 X-men 1 sold for $25K and the last 9.0 in Heritage sold for like $42K. Upgradable, movie hype, and new investor hype. :gossip:

Wow!!! 19k for a8.0 is beyond strong even if it can get a CPR bump! If someone would give me 25k, I'll sell my 8.5 in a heartbeat!

That's a strong price for an 8.0. I recall someone mention an 8.5 X-men 1 sold for $25K and the last 9.0 in Heritage sold for like $42K. Upgradable, movie hype, and new investor hype. :gossip:

it did...it was mine (thumbs u

Wow!!! 19k for a8.0 is beyond strong even if it can get a CPR bump! If someone would give me 25k, I'll sell my 8.5 in a heartbeat!

With the way prices going for keys. In no time the 8.5 will one day reach there. Don't sell, you may regret it later.

it did...it was mine (thumbs u

That is one nice sell. (thumbs u

Well Bob Storms has had 2 very nice 9.4s for a little while now which I think are pretty fairly priced, you'd think if the new market value for a non upgrade-able 9.0 is 40K at least 1 of his 9.4s woulda flew off the shelves by now. Usually when a price smells fishy it is, unless it has to do with Spider-Man.

With the way prices going for keys. In no time the 8.5 will one day reach there. Don't sell, you may regret it later.

True although I gotta admit its a consideration to allow me to go after some of Doug's Avengers hm

I'm definitely glad I bought my sons AF15 when I did. To get that same copy now, 18 months later would cost me about 50% more. I am taking a bath at the moment on my SC22, I'd be lookin at probably a 15% or more loss if I sold it now :sorry:

True although I gotta admit its a consideration to allow me to go after some of Doug's Avengers hm

I'm definitely glad I bought my sons AF15 when I did. To get that same copy now, 18 months later would cost me about 50% more. I am taking a bath at the moment on my SC22, I'd be lookin at probably a 15% or more loss if I sold it now :sorry:

Doug's Avengers are amazing and this is your great opportunity to add more pedigrees to your collection. Good move on your end on your son's AF15. I recommended my sister and her husband to plow some moola on AF15 about the time you bought you son's copy...but they didn't. I can understand as they are not sure about comics as an investment vehicle, but her kids is a big fan of Spidey. :headbang: You can always sell other comic gains to off set you SC22 loss. I did that with some of my books. Of course no one wants to loose $, but making on most of your books and loose on a few is really okay.

I do think the x-men sale was strong, but we may be entering into another wave of price hype (perpetuated by .... us!)

The other x-men didn't seem to be too out of whack, although I was happy to pick up the 6.5 ow/w for $4,375.