• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Doug Schmell cashing in his vaulted massive collecion. Poll: Is this the top?

1,888 posts in this topic

I also find it slightly ridiculous that there is such extreme hostility toward the books themselves (with people refusing to bid on, or even watch, the auction) because of the character history of the consignor.

Speaking for myself Josh, it's a personal decision and this being a discussion board, others are willing to express similar opinions too.

To take folk to task for expressing their personal decisions - especially when they are well-articulated and not just some 'burn the witch' pitchfork group mentality - is what I would find ridiculous.

Good luck with your bids.

State your personal decision if you dare. You will be judged :eyeroll:

I know for a fact that ha is on the up and up:

I was bidding on a item, I really wanted that item, I was high bid going in and I put a 20k higher bid in (24k to be exact with bp)...I was on the phone and they could of bid me up, I won the item with on floor bid or internet bid...I commented to Ed J who was on the phone with me that you guys are are HONEST...I stand by that statement 100% and I PUT MY MONEY WHERE MY MOUTH WAS.

I cannot see how boycotting this auction is gonna make you collection better.....and are you saying that he took pacfic coast comics and broke them out and pressed them and resubmitted them...not on the high grade stuff and how dare you link Ha auctions to DS auctions, I know ha is legit...DS I hae never done buss with.

Nobody's concerned about making their collection better. doh!

People are concerned about making profit for a guy who bought these books with stolen money.

678 books= guess 2.5 Mil??? or am I low....

Low

gotta be low. what's the x-men #1 9.8 gonna bring? 9.4's sell for $100k; is that a $400k book?

I'm predicting 500K+ on that one easily.

I also find it slightly ridiculous that there is such extreme hostility toward the books themselves (with people refusing to bid on, or even watch, the auction) because of the character history of the consignor.

Speaking for myself Josh, it's a personal decision and this being a discussion board, others are willing to express similar opinions too.

To take folk to task for expressing their personal decisions - especially when they are well-articulated and not just some 'burn the witch' pitchfork group mentality - is what I would find ridiculous.

Good luck with your bids.

I completely support your ability to make whatever personal decisions you want - and to express them here. I didn't single anyone out, or take any specific person to task. Nor have I questioned anyone's position based upon a lack of articulation. I don't roll that way. My personal opinion is that the idea of boycotting these books because Schmell is the consignor is ridiculous. I am sorry if a contrary opinion to one you may hold is offensive to you.

As to the good luck on the bids, I appreciate that but won't be bidding on these books because I collect golden age, not silver. If Billy Wright had been a convicted felon, I would still have bid on his books to enhance my collection - my "personal decision".

Think about all the new books that have come to market and I think it's fair to say there are a lot of buyers out there.

There are definitely a lot of buyers, but a lot (maybe most) of those buyers are also sellers, which means that as books are coming in, books also have to go out. At some point there will be too many books out there.

Too many books might be the wrong way to phrase it.

Remember that in economics whenever prices drop low enough, people start buying again. It's true in EVERY cyclical economy whether it's stocks or comics.

So even if the market is flooded with books and prices drop as soon as prices drop to a certain point people start buying again propping them up. It's human nature and it's happened time and time again.

The problem with this is that comics are not stocks; there is a relatively tiny group of collectors keeping the high grade market afloat; if this tiny group experiences a "crash", most will likely exit the hobby and not return in the same capacity if at all, even if prices are low. I would even say ESPECIALLY if prices are low. Strong prices get people in a frenzy to buy, low prices turn people off, because people tend to follow the herd. Buyers want to see other people spending to feel comfortable with their own buying.

Remember, the collector base is aging. The increase in prices that we've seen can largely be attributed to the fact that the people with the most emotional/nostalgic attachment to these books have hit the prime of their financial lives. If enough of these spenders get burned by a crash, the market may never recover. Does this mean no one will be buying books? No.

This is wrong. Dead wrong. There is a relatively huge group of collectors who keep all of the comic market affloat. Some are high grade collectors, some are GA collectors, some buy what they like. But the fact is, unless you are out there doing it every day, you don't know who is buying what, and how many people are buying it.

The simple fact is that for everyone buyer you know, like Cheetah, and Doc Joe, and Barton, and Doug and Tom and the few others that are known by this board, there are a dozen you don't know about. Many I don't know about. I know I sold books to Eminem this weekend at Motor City Comic Con. So did Bob. There are people in this hobby buying books that no one on this board will ever know about.

I have guys at SDCC who I am relatively certain don't buy books anywhere else, except at the show. I am sure there are many stars, athletes, millionaires and billionaires, etc who love comics and are buying books that you and I will never know about.

I don't think this thing of ours will ever end, at least not in our lifetime, unless the entire economy crashes. At which point, no one is going to care anyway.

I can't believe the message board theories, although it is entertaining. While reading through this thread I can't help sense the jealousy, pettiness and poor business sense many posters possess.

This is one of the finest collections I've ever seen and when I held that 9.6 Fantastic Four #1 and rifled through the boxes of this collection with Doug I never felt more excited to see the best of the best. Rumours and the like, aside. I enjoyed hanging out with Doug and wish him the best of luck on the auction. I think it'll be a record breaking haul.

What's entertaining is someone who joined these boards a few months ago thinking he knows what's what. Shills are also entertaining, as is the fact that you'd probably go down on Doug if he asked you nicely.

:roflmao:

Think about all the new books that have come to market and I think it's fair to say there are a lot of buyers out there.

There are definitely a lot of buyers, but a lot (maybe most) of those buyers are also sellers, which means that as books are coming in, books also have to go out. At some point there will be too many books out there.

Remember that in economics whenever prices drop low enough, people start buying again. It's true in EVERY cyclical economy whether it's stocks or comics.

So even if the market is flooded with books and prices drop as soon as prices drop to a certain point people start buying again propping them up. It's human nature and it's happened time and time again.

The problem with this is that comics are not stocks; there is a relatively tiny group of collectors keeping the high grade market afloat; if this tiny group experiences a "crash", most will likely exit the hobby and not return in the same capacity if at all, even if prices are low. I would even say ESPECIALLY if prices are low. Strong prices get people in a frenzy to buy, low prices turn people off, because people tend to follow the herd. Buyers want to see other people spending to feel comfortable with their own buying.

Remember, the collector base is aging. The increase in prices that we've seen can largely be attributed to the fact that the people with the most emotional/nostalgic attachment to these books have hit the prime of their financial lives. If enough of these spenders get burned by a crash, the market may never recover. Does this mean no one will be buying books? No.

This is wrong. Dead wrong. There is a relatively huge group of collectors who keep all of the comic market affloat. Some are high grade collectors, some are GA collectors, some buy what they like. But the fact is, unless you are out there doing it every day, you don't know who is buying what, and how many people are buying it.

The simple fact is that for everyone buyer you know, like Cheetah, and Doc Joe, and Barton, and Doug and Tom and the few others that are known by this board, there are a dozen you don't know about. Many I don't know about. I know I sold books to Eminem this weekend at Motor City Comic Con. So did Bob. There are people in this hobby buying books that no one on this board will ever know about.

I have guys at SDCC who I am relatively certain don't buy books anywhere else, except at the show. I am sure there are many stars, athletes, millionaires and billionaires, etc who love comics and are buying books that you and I will never know about.

I don't think this thing of ours will ever end, at least not in our lifetime, unless the entire economy crashes. At which point, no one is going to care anyway.

Considering how disconnected I am from the hobby at the moment, I'll defer to your experience, and I admit that I'm probably speaking out of turn.

Glad to hear that I might be wrong about the future of this hobby.

Oh that would be nice to get everyone on my playing field. :devil:

This post is what I would call a very informed opinion.

If Billy Wright had been a convicted felon, I would still have bid on his books to enhance my collection - my "personal decision".

Billy Wright is dead, and had been so long before his collection was brought to market by his heirs, who were the beneficiaries.

Objection overruled.

"THE" Eminem buying comics :o(worship) I would never have expected that not by 8 miles

and are you saying that he took pacfic coast comics and broke them out and pressed them and resubmitted them...not on the high grade stuff

Yes, of course on the high grade stuff.

And.... for example, the DD 7, which went from a 9.2 to a 9.4 to a 9.6. I don't recall if theat was Doug, but HG peds are not immune.

OK let me get this straight - the instructions are boycott then buy later ?!!

Putting money in pocket of HA seller because of his history - bad.

Putting money in the pocket of the HA buyer who ignored the seller's history - good.

This hobby is confusing.

:tonofbricks:

I cannot see how boycotting this auction is gonna make you collection better.....and are you saying that he took pacfic coast comics and broke them out and pressed them and resubmitted them...not on the high grade stuff and how dare you link Ha auctions to DS auctions, I know ha is legit...DS I hae never done buss with.

I have absolutely no idea what you are wittering about,

Go back and re-read what I said.

Dr.Cooper..are you on crack? :screwy:

If Billy Wright had been a convicted felon, I would still have bid on his books to enhance my collection - my "personal decision".

Billy Wright is dead, and had been so long before his collection was brought to market by his heirs, who were the beneficiaries.

Objection overruled.

Its not an objection; just an opinion that apparently differs from yours. I do, however, appreciate your passion on the issue.

OK let me get this straight - the instructions are boycott then buy later ?!!

Putting money in pocket of HA seller because of his history - bad.

Putting money in the pocket of the HA buyer who ignored the seller's history - good.

This hobby is confusing.

:tonofbricks:

But what happens if you know that the HA buyer knew the seller's history, but the HA buyer who is now re-selling the book has a solid history. Do you buy the book, or stay away on principle because he/she knew the original seller's bad history at the time of the HA sale? So many questions. :insane: