• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE PARK AVENUE COLLECTION
4 4

2,905 posts in this topic

On 4/18/2024 at 10:00 AM, Marty Mann said:

I bought a copy for $7.50

Thanks for your service Marty and for sharing. What convention was it and did you buy any comics? Did any of your kids get the collecting bug?  Guessing this might have been the Overstreet you bought.

IMG_1767.jpeg

Thank you for your interest in my collection. I always tried to keep my books in good condition  as I read and reread them over  the years..

What were your favourite titles as a kid? Are they still your favourite titles from back in the 1940's?

My two sons and I attended our first Comic Book Show in 1976. I couldn't believe all of the comic books, boxes after boxes, all the books packed in clear plastic bags selling for what I believed to be a lot of money for old 10 cent comics,

What prompted you to go to that show? Were your two sons avid comic fans? If so which titles? And are they still comic collectors?

I bought a copy for $7.50 and the dealer threw in  a package of 100 bags. ,

We went home, brought out a box, let them air out and spent the Summer looking at and bagging books.

Please let me know if you have any other questions, I truly enjoy sharing.

The comics on the stands were thirty cents in 1976. Were you tempted to pick up any of the new ones?

???

Edited by Hepcat

On 4/18/2024 at 10:16 AM, ThothAmon said:

Thanks for your service Marty and for sharing. What convention was it and did you buy any comics? Did any of your kids get the collecting bug?  Guessing this might have been the Overstreet you bought.

IMG_1767.jpeg

The convention was in Albany, NY...the only thing I bought was a above copy of OVERSTREET...and yes my sons became avid collectors.

Posted (edited)
On 4/19/2024 at 1:44 PM, Marty Mann said:

Edited by Marty Mann

On 4/18/2024 at 11:18 AM, Hepcat said:

What were your favourite titles as a kid? Are they still your favourite titles from back in the 1940's?

What prompted you to go to that show? Were your two sons avid comic fans? If so which titles? And are they still comic collectors?

The comics on the stands were thirty cents in 1976. Were you tempted to pick up any of the new ones?

???

My favorite titles were CAPTAIN MARVEL ADVENTURES, FLASH COMICS  STAR SPANGLED COMICS  FOUR COLOR COMICS...

still my favorites

Interested to see what was at a COMIC BOOK SHOW.

My sons became avid collectors of mostly MARVEL titles...we are no longer collectors.,

Posted (edited)
On 4/16/2024 at 3:14 PM, ThothAmon said:

Edited by Marty Mann

On 4/19/2024 at 2:01 PM, Marty Mann said:

My favorite titles were CAPTAIN MARVEL ADVENTURES, FLASH COMICS  STAR SPANGLED COMICS  FOUR COLOR COMICS...

Which cover run of Star Spangled Comics was your very favourite? "Newsboy Legion and the Guardian", "Robin", "Tomahawk" or "Ghost Breaker"?

My sons became avid collectors of mostly MARVEL titles....

Sorry to hear that.

we are no longer collectors.,

Sorry to hear that as well. :frown: But are you saying that you haven't added any comics to your collection since that convention in 1976? You've not been tempted to fill in the missing issues in any of your runs?

???

Edited by Hepcat

Ahhhh, so the "Robin" issues were your favourite part of the Star Spangled run!

:cool:

But where have you posted all the collecting stories from your boyhood?

(shrug)

On 4/18/2024 at 10:16 AM, ThothAmon said:

IMG_1767.jpeg

This was my first guide!

On 4/20/2024 at 12:07 PM, Hepcat said:

Ahhhh, so the "Robin" issues were your favourite part of the Star Spangled run!

:cool:

But where have you posted all the collecting stories from your boyhood?

(shrug)

My first STAR SPANGLED COMIC...and boyhood stories are scattered over the past 144 pages.

IMG   STAR SPANGLED #53  (200 dpi)     .jpg

On 4/20/2024 at 10:15 AM, Marty Mann said:

No comics were added to the PARK AVENUE COLLECTION after 1954...everyone is a newsstand issue.

What then were the last few comics you purchased?

???

And now after taking a seventy year breather, do you not feel sufficiently refreshed to start adding to your collection again? e.g. all those issues from the late 1940's and early 1950's you missed out on at the time?

(shrug)

Posted (edited)
On 4/23/2024 at 2:42 PM, Hepcat said:

What then were the last few comics you purchased?

???

And now after taking a seventy year breather, do you not feel sufficiently refreshed to start adding to your collection again? e.g. all those issues from the late 1940's and early 1950's you missed out on at the time?

(shrug)

Actually my last Golden Age Comic was not bought of a newsstand but purchased directly from EC

I was stationed in Key West Florida and read in the Sunday Miami Herald about a EC Comic featuring Flying Saucer

stories, I sent 25 cents to EC and in a few weeks had a copy of WEIRD-SCIENCE FANTASY #26.

Edited by Marty Mann

On 4/25/2024 at 12:58 PM, ThothAmon said:

Can you imagine walking by a newsstand with 25 or so copies of Amazing Fantasy 15 at 10 cents a pop? 

Actually I cannot. For one thing Amazing Fantasy 15 had a cover price of 12 cents. xD

But the newsstands I frequented had at the very most two copies of any issue and even that many was a seldom occurrence. I've only heard of newsstands with whole stacks of a single issue (perhaps in the New York area). Did you actually know of any such newsstands?

???

Edited by Hepcat

On 4/20/2024 at 7:15 AM, Marty Mann said:

Favorite STAR SPANGLED.

The late 40s to early 50s issues of Star Spangled are some of the most enjoyable comics around. Adventure of the same period is also highly underrated. Really, all the anthologies. Folks just don't seem to care about the back-ups. Me, I love them also. Especially Vigilante, Shining Knight, Robot Man, Wildcat, so many!

On 4/25/2024 at 10:31 PM, sfcityduck said:

The late 40s to early 50s issues of Star Spangled are some of the most enjoyable comics around. Adventure of the same period is also highly underrated. Really, all the anthologies. Folks just don't seem to care about the back-ups. Me, I love them also. Especially Vigilante, Shining Knight, Robot Man, Wildcat, so many!

Agreed! There were so many great pack-up features...like STAR- SPANGLED KID and LIBERTY BELLE...

IMG   STAR SPANGLED KID SS 53  (200 dpi)     .jpg

IMG   LIBERTY BELLE  SS #53  (200 dpi)     .jpg