• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE PARK AVENUE COLLECTION
4 4

2,905 posts in this topic

On 3/1/2024 at 11:30 AM, Robot Man said:

I never get tired of seeing the Park Avenue collection. Many of these books I have seen numerous times and in many cases better copies. But what is special about them is they were all purchased off the racks for a dime. And Marty is still here to share them with us! 

Agreed!!!

(thumbsu

On 2/26/2024 at 1:45 PM, Marty Mann said:

IMG   GREEN LANTERN #31   (200 dpi)     .jpg

The later Green Lantern and All-American Comics are perhaps the Golden Age comics that I covet the most. Condition and price have always presented near insurmountable obstacles to my acquiring any though....

Incidentally, in what year did you first start collecting comics?

???

Edited by Hepcat

On 3/1/2024 at 2:47 PM, Hepcat said:

The late Green Lantern and All-American Comics are perhaps the Golden Age comics that I covet the most. Condition and price have always presented near insurmountable obstacles to my acquiring any though....

Incidentally, in what year did you first start collecting comics?

???

1942...my first comic book off the newsstand was ALL-WINNERS #4

On 7/26/2023 at 2:21 PM, Marty Mann said:

The first comic book I ever bought...purchased in 1942  at the newsstand on the corner of 52nd and Market in Philadelphia.

Is that newsstand or any of the newsstands in which you bought comics still there?

???

Some of the variety stores in which I bought comics in London, Ontario in the 1959-65 period are still there:

News_Depot_1.jpg

:cool:

Edited by Hepcat

On 3/2/2024 at 1:10 AM, Hepcat said:

Is that newsstand or any of the newsstands in which you bought comics still there?

???

Some of the variety stores in which I bought comics in London, Ontario in the 1959-65 period are still there.

:cool:

The newsstands are gone and the newsrooms  no longer exist. The train stations and bus stations do not sell comics and

W.T. GRANTS went out of business a long time ago

It's all just a memory! .

On 3/2/2024 at 11:08 AM, Marty Mann said:

The newsstands are gone and the newsrooms  no longer exist. The train stations and bus stations do not sell comics and

W.T. GRANTS went out of business a long time ago

It's all just a memory! .

More than that since you shared it! Now its forever part of the internet.

On 2/23/2024 at 2:12 PM, Marty Mann said:

When I first posted on the sight, before I was able to share images, I listed SUPERBOY #1 and FLASH COMICS #104

as my "TOP TWO" didn't realize then that my SPIRIT #22 would be come the most  valuable book in my collection.

I see no reason whatsoever why the most "valuable" comic in your collection should automatically make your "Top Two".

???

Edited by Hepcat

On 2/24/2024 at 10:25 AM, Robot Man said:

When I was a kid if I brought home a book like that and my mom saw it, I would have had problems. 

Why? Did your mother think it would encourage you to carry a knife? Or perhaps wear a garter belt?

???

On 3/2/2024 at 5:40 PM, Hepcat said:

Why? Did your mother think it would encourage you to carry a knife? Or perhaps wear a garter belt?

???

Maybe she thought it would encourage him to run around with the kind of gal who kept a dagger in her garter belt (and it probably would have).