• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

David Lapham taking commission requests!

147 posts in this topic

Yeah, that seems about right so far! I have only registered pangs of annoyance but they go away pretty quickly. Certainly no hints of regret. But I would say he will be generating some serious bad will if this goes into 2013. :o

I can't speak for anyone else, but even though David Lapham's done comic work since the Valiant days, it was when he headed off and did his own creator owned and published comic Stray Bullets that he ended up on my radar. the book blew my socks off. musta been around 94-95.

A true to life comic that flirts with crime, drama and fantasy in various measure. Told through the eyes of a number of core characters, with an assorted cast. It was a very genuine work, and there was nothing on the shelves quite like it, during the era of limited edition foil covers, multi company crossovers and a death of a major character every other week in an attempt to make a sale, Lapham was making great stories, and using that to sell his book. Whoda thunk it?

He had his own art style that was unlike anything else on the shelves, and all in all it made it one of the must read books for me for a number of years. often compared more to films like Pulp Fiction at the time, and probably mo to a show like a Breaking Bad today than anyone else's comic work.

I don't think the book sales were doing so hot in the early 2000s and he heard the siren song of the major companies for a while, so was writing and drawing various books here and there. I think he did a run of Batman stories, etc. But none of that work ever had the spark of SB, which he never finished, he put it on hiatus. He says some day he will come back to it but hasn't yet. He also only sold the art to one issue of SB a few years back. He has kept all the rest, so the majority of that work is still in his possession.

He also doesn't do a ton of sketching or sell a lot of art.

For my part, this was a chance to finally get a proper commission out of him (hopefully). Others may be drawn to his other work, but that's my story.

I can't speak for anyone else, but even though David Lapham's done comic work since the Valiant days, it was when he headed off and did his own creator owned and published comic Stray Bullets that he ended up on my radar. the book blew my socks off. musta been around 94-95.

A true to life comic that flirts with crime, drama and fantasy in various measure. Told through the eyes of a number of core characters, with an assorted cast. It was a very genuine work, and there was nothing on the shelves quite like it, during the era of limited edition foil covers, multi company crossovers and a death of a major character every other week in an attempt to make a sale, Lapham was making great stories, and using that to sell his book. Whoda thunk it?

He had his own art style that was unlike anything else on the shelves, and all in all it made it one of the must read books for me for a number of years. often compared more to films like Pulp Fiction at the time, and probably mo to a show like a Breaking Bad today than anyone else's comic work.

I don't think the book sales were doing so hot in the early 2000s and he heard the siren song of the major companies for a while, so was writing and drawing various books here and there. I think he did a run of Batman stories, etc. But none of that work ever had the spark of SB, which he never finished, he put it on hiatus. He says some day he will come back to it but hasn't yet. He also only sold the art to one issue of SB a few years back. He has kept all the rest, so the majority of that work is still in his possession.

He also doesn't do a ton of sketching or sell a lot of art.

For my part, this was a chance to finally get a proper commission out of him (hopefully). Others may be drawn to his other work, but that's my story.

+1

From everything I've read and from my personal experiences with him, I've found that David is a really nice guy. I understand the frustration with delays, but I'm sure he'll deliver. He did a nice Stray Bullets sketch for me years ago at a con. By mail, I bought a number of Harbinger pages from him when he sold off the interior art to the early issues. With each purchase, he included a free (and unexpected) inked and personalized sketch of one of the Harbinger characters.

He'll come through.

From everything I've read and from my personal experiences with him, I've found that David is a really nice guy. I understand the frustration with delays, but I'm sure he'll deliver. He did a nice Stray Bullets sketch for me years ago at a con. By mail, I bought a number of Harbinger pages from him when he sold off the interior art to the early issues. With each purchase, he included a free (and unexpected) inked and personalized sketch of one of the Harbinger characters.

He'll come through.

Yeah, he gave me an AWESOME free Harada sketch when I bought my Harbinger page a few years ago. Lapham is a good dude.

Well this thread isn't about how "nice" David is. He may be a heck of a great fella, but being stone cold silent for 4 months to paying customers after receiving the payment puts him on my not-so nice list, especially since with his original delivery date quote the art was going to be a birthday present which ended up being not and me having to drop some more cash to get a replacement gift due to the non-delivery.

This was a business transaction, customers paid him money for an item. Item was quoted to be delivered in 4-6 weeks. Now it's going on 4 months and after multiple inquires by the various buyers David still hasn't replied back.

I'm sure if someone bought an item from Amazon.com which was quoted to be shipped to you in 2 weeks but after a couple months the item still hasn't shipped and Amazon has not replied to your inquires that you'd all raise some stink over it and ask for a refund.

I think we'd all be minimally OK with the big delay if there was just a big post on his Twitter or the commission blog but nada, *crickets*.

Well this thread isn't about how "nice" David is. He may be a heck of a great fella, but being stone cold silent for 4 months to paying customers after receiving the payment puts him on my not-so nice list, especially since with his original delivery date quote the art was going to be a birthday present which ended up being not and me having to drop some more cash to get a replacement gift due to the non-delivery.

This was a business transaction, customers paid him money for an item. Item was quoted to be delivered in 1.5-2 months. Now it's going on 4 months and after multiple inquires by the various buyers David still hasn't replied back.

I'm sure if someone bought an item from Amazon.com which was quoted to be shipped to you in 2 weeks but after a couple months the item still hasn't shipped and Amazon has not replied to your inquires that you'd all raise some stink over it and ask for a refund.

I think we'd all be minimally OK with the big delay if there was just a big post on his Twitter or the commission blog but nada, *crickets*.

My post was intended to reassure you that he will come through. His communications should be better, but comic artists routinely blow commission deadlines. I have 0 doubt that you'll get your art.

Thanks for the comment Solar, I am glad that a couple boardies did get stuff from him in the past. Do you remember how long it took Lapham to ship the Harbinger OA to you?

--------------------------

This is actually the first time from an artist I'm feeling like I'm getting the stone-cold silent treatment and he's taking my money and running with it. I'm actually over the commission already, it was suppose to be a gift but with the blown deadline it isn't anymore; being almost 3 months past due I'd rather get a refund instead since getting ignored as a paying customer doesn't really make me hot for the artist's art anymore.

I've dealt with other artists working on CURRENT monthly books with deadlines as well and they've always responded to my emails within a couple of days if not sooner. Most recent purchases directly from artists current working on monthlies that have responded and were honest in shipping out stuff: Brett Weldele (The Surrogates), Freddie Williams III, and Tyler Kirkham (Green Lantern: New Guardians).

I sent David a link to this thread a week or so ago and gave him a friendly reminder that he was upsetting people by not responding (I have no horse in this race, just figured he needed to know his reputation was in danger).

He responded a few minutes ago:

Thanks. I am responding to everyone now. I got in over my head. Never having done this before I got requests for almost 150 drawings in a week and it's taken me so much longer to handle than I thought possible. I am digging out and everyone will get their drawings. I'll also check this email account more and stay on top of responding to those who email me.

Thanks again for the info.

D

So it looks like he's back on track.