• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

David Lapham taking commission requests!

147 posts in this topic

I sent David a link to this thread a week or so ago and gave him a friendly reminder that he was upsetting people by not responding (I have no horse in this race, just figured he needed to know his reputation was in danger).

He responded a few minutes ago:

This is great to hear, thanks for sharing.

:wishluck:

150 drawings @ 1 hour per drawing = 150 hours = 4 full work weeks.

Assuming 4 hours a work day on this, it's 8 weeks of work.

So, it seems likely that it will take him months to burn down the entire list. That's a lot of work!

150 drawings @ 1 hour per drawing = 150 hours = 4 full work weeks.

Assuming 4 hours a work day on this, it's 8 weeks of work.

So, it seems likely that it will take him months to burn down the entire list. That's a lot of work!

Yeah, I'm not going to hold my breath for the piece.

I got the "template" letter just now too BUT still did not get a status on what order my piece is. If your calculations are right and even though I paid at the end of May and I get slotted at the back of the list that may mean a total 6-7 months of waiting (and that's if he does spend 4x hours per day just on commissions).

DevilsRain, do you remember what was the date you actually sent in your commission request to Lapham so us boardies can somewhat calculate our possible order in his list of 150+ drawings based on your submission? Thanks.

I dunno about you guys, but mine's gonna take longer than an hour. ;)

I heard back from David as well. 150 is a lotta doodles. I'm happy to kick back and wait. It's the empty silence on the other end of an email that I always find most troubling. But then again with 150 pieces, I expect that is a lot of distracting emails asking "where's mine?". Kill half a day right there writing everyone back. I'll leave him be and wait it out.

That was my point. The poor guy messed up and is buried. He could handle it better , but I think it's going to take months and months to get caught up.

Heck, he doesn't even need to post updates here - he already has a blog... :idea:

That was my point. The poor guy messed up and is buried. He could handle it better , but I think it's going to take months and months to get caught up.

Heck, he doesn't even need to post updates here - he already has a blog... :idea:

I actually suggested that when following up on my piece, and he gave me the form update, and a PS to say that he would do that.

And like Eric, mine will take longer than an hour too! I'm guessing at least a day... :insane:

If it takes 8hrs per drawing, the backlog grows to 64 weeks - 1.25 years.

Ouch!

Dude, you're throwing too much math around too early in the morning. Brain hurts. :insane: If Lapham did get over 150 orders, that's roughly $15,000 if you average out each order at the $100 price point (with shipping) give or take those who wanted a head sketch or paid more for detailed pieces. That's a lot of pay-ola.

I'm guessing Lapham hasn't given anyone the option of refunding the payment for those who aren't up to waiting half a year on their piece eh?

If he does put up an update list on his blog, I'd just like to see the entire list of characters he's commissioned to do and the order he's doing them in (simple cut and past from the emails he's gotten). So for those that are on the bottom of the commission list should get the option to get a refund if they have no intention of waiting around. I'll be surprised for those who got on the list late in June if they even get there's back before Christmas.

I joined this site after looking up David Lapham complaints.

Have not received my artwork either. Going to file a complaint with Paypal in the morning. This seriously sucks.

Anyone else having the problem still please reach out to me on twitter: @mikefederali

Maybe if we all emailed or tweeted with a hash tag or something :(

Have not received my artwork either. Going to file a complaint with Paypal in the morning. This seriously sucks.

Anyone else having the problem still please reach out to me on twitter: @mikefederali

Heh, I am sorry to say, but welcome to the rough and tumble world of commission comic artists.

A couple of times the artist sent me a scan of the finished piece and I did not get it for months! And once I bought a pre-done piece and I also did not receive it for months. I'm glad I eventually got those, but you have to do your research and be prepared to get nothing when you start the process.

Malvin

Heh, I am sorry to say, but welcome to the rough and tumble world of commission comic artists.

A couple of times the artist sent me a scan of the finished piece and I did not get it for months! And once I bought a pre-done piece and I also did not receive it for months. I'm glad I eventually got those, but you have to do your research and be prepared to get nothing when you start the process.

Malvin

Yep. Just a part of the process sometimes.

I spent the money already, so I'll just be happily surprised when it gets here. David and Maria are good people, so I'm confident it'll all work out.

So, I've tried contacting him 3 times through e-mail, and twice through twitter and gotten nothing.

I understand there are delays, but it's now months past the turnaround he has said. I ordered the second day they were up.

Artists always being unreliable is not an excuse.

He took my money, and hasn't given an update what-so-ever regarding the status of the sketch. When he is this late, he should have at least posted something on the blog to update people. A little communication would go a long way, but this has been extremely unprofessional, and I am very unhappy.

Has anyone actually received theirs yet?