• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What would you do in this case?

29 posts in this topic

I got a phone call from a potential customer on my cel phone as I was driving to Philly yesterday.

I immediately get the sense that he has a difficult time talking, but was not sure yet whether it was a learning disability, a speech impediment or English as a second language (it was not the best cell connection and I had difficulty understanding much of what he said).

The gent goes on to ask about Western comics and I explain that I don't carry much in the way of Westerns. I explain that I specialize in mainstream Superhero stuff.

He goes on to ask about some hero books, etc.

I go into even greater detail and explain that I specialize in very high grade, CGC graded copies and not necessarily affordable or reading copies thinking they were not his cup of tea.

After a few minutes of back and forth, the gent asks me if he can call me on Friday when he gets his new credit card.

:facepalm:

I ask him whereabouts he lives and he tells that he's in Albany and I just happened to be turning south from the Interstate 90 on my way through Syracuse to Philly. Just a short drive away from me.

Now, I'm not feeling too good about selling this guy ultra high grade Silver Age because I get the feeling that it was not what he was looking for so I try to probe in a friendly way and ask whether he has any comic book stores close by or any conventions in the area to help him out.

He then explains that he is on an oxygen machine and that he can't get around much although he does step out for a walk most days but walking through a comic convention would be too tiring.

:(

So here is this passionate fanboy (I took him to be elderly but I can't know for sure) who is for the most part confined to his bed or staying close to home, calling me on my cell asking for comics I don't have, looking for a way to get his hands on some comic books to quench his passion for comics...and I was about 2 hours away...

I have to say it was pretty gut wrenching to think what it would be like to try to feed my comic habit being confined to a bed, breathing through an oxygen apparatus and unable to do the simplest things that we take for granted like going to the local comic shop. Heck, would I even be interested in comics?

I literally felt like taking a detour and pulling by Albany, but then I didn't really have anything with me that he was looking for, and I really don't carry the type of stuff that he likes. I was also under some time pressure to make Philly by a certain time.

We ended the conversation with me realizing that I didn't even have any contact info for him as when he called, it registered as a private number.

The whole conversation left me feeling a little sad as I don't think I did anything "wrong" but I did wonder if there was something else I could have done to help this guy...I just don't think very well on the fly when my head is already full and I'm on a tight schedule (and weaving through Syracuse) and I didn't really put it all together until the phone call was done.

Anybody have any thoughts?

The whole conversation left me feeling a little sad as I don't think I did anything "wrong" but I did wonder if there was something else I could have done to help this guy...I just don't think very well on the fly when my head is already full and I'm on a tight schedule (and weaving through Syracuse) and I didn't really put it all together until the phone call was done.

Offer some dealer names who do carry Westerns in volume. Sounds like a 70-something type guy who grew up reading Westerns.

I can see why you'd feel bad but really there wasn't much you could have done differently. You didn't do anything wrong and shouldn't feel bad (thumbs u

Hell, for all you know it coulda been Stu or Harold messing with you! hm

If he ever calls you back, bring him back some western readers on your way back from Philly and make someone's day. I'm sure that it crossed your mind already.

+1 Will cost you very little but will speak great things.

Roy, 'weaving through Syracuse' can certainly be enough to distract you. :hi:

I'm wondering if perhaps once he receives his credit card, he'll contact you again and maybe you can set something up.

If you had a somewhat pleasant conversation with him, I'm guessing he'll remember that and he'll contact you soon enough...

You're high profile with big books....could be a set up. Hopefully he'll call back and you can find out more. I wouldn't visit a stranger alone under these circumstances and someone should know where you went and when you should return, if you decide to. Hope it works out. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

You did the best you could given the situation you were in at the time and shouldnt stress about it.

Best not give it anymore thought, you dont really carry what he was after and said so, so its unlikely he will be back in touch again anyway.

How did he get your cell phone number? I don't think your website has a phone number listed. (If it does, it's clearly not readily available.)

If he got it from the Overstreet Guide, he's probably called some other companies already as well.

(So I wouldn't worry about it...)

It might call forward from the number on his website to his cell. If the guy used Google to search "vintage comics", Roy's site would be the first result so its isn't unfathomable for the guy to be legit.

If the situation continues to compell you or weighs on your conscience to pay it forward, I would start a pile and if you get a good grouping of Western stuff (maybe even ask a few dealers while you're out in Philly - they'll definitely know they're for a cause and not for you). Then when you've got a good amount, call him back and ask for his address and send them to him.

I can see why you'd feel bad but really there wasn't much you could have done differently. You didn't do anything wrong and shouldn't feel bad (thumbs u

:taptaptap:(tsk):makepoint::sumo:

Nice goin' Roy.

Why don't you drop by his daughters house and punch her in the face on your way home.

:roflmao:

Good god man!!! You don't even try to stay hidden!

5 posts and you're already announcing you're a banned member?!? :shy:

I just don't think very well on the fly when my head is already full and I'm on a tight schedule (and weaving through Syracuse) and I didn't really put it all together until the phone call was done.

Well, maybe this is the problem. Our heads are already full, we’re constantly on a tight schedule we make up in our minds and so we are hardly able to "put it all together" when things happen.

And DC comics is hacking the golden age Green Lantern. Wonderful…

I got a phone call from a potential customer on my cel phone as I was driving to Philly yesterday.

I immediately get the sense that he has a difficult time talking, but was not sure yet whether it was a learning disability, a speech impediment or English as a second language (it was not the best cell connection and I had difficulty understanding much of what he said).

The gent goes on to ask about Western comics and I explain that I don't carry much in the way of Westerns. I explain that I specialize in mainstream Superhero stuff.

He goes on to ask about some hero books, etc.

I go into even greater detail and explain that I specialize in very high grade, CGC graded copies and not necessarily affordable or reading copies thinking they were not his cup of tea.

After a few minutes of back and forth, the gent asks me if he can call me on Friday when he gets his new credit card.

:facepalm:

I ask him whereabouts he lives and he tells that he's in Albany and I just happened to be turning south from the Interstate 90 on my way through Syracuse to Philly. Just a short drive away from me.

Now, I'm not feeling too good about selling this guy ultra high grade Silver Age because I get the feeling that it was not what he was looking for so I try to probe in a friendly way and ask whether he has any comic book stores close by or any conventions in the area to help him out.

He then explains that he is on an oxygen machine and that he can't get around much although he does step out for a walk most days but walking through a comic convention would be too tiring.

:(

So here is this passionate fanboy (I took him to be elderly but I can't know for sure) who is for the most part confined to his bed or staying close to home, calling me on my cell asking for comics I don't have, looking for a way to get his hands on some comic books to quench his passion for comics...and I was about 2 hours away...

I have to say it was pretty gut wrenching to think what it would be like to try to feed my comic habit being confined to a bed, breathing through an oxygen apparatus and unable to do the simplest things that we take for granted like going to the local comic shop. Heck, would I even be interested in comics?

I literally felt like taking a detour and pulling by Albany, but then I didn't really have anything with me that he was looking for, and I really don't carry the type of stuff that he likes. I was also under some time pressure to make Philly by a certain time.

We ended the conversation with me realizing that I didn't even have any contact info for him as when he called, it registered as a private number.

maybe recommend some sites with great selection of readers, excellent rep, quality packing and shipping? off hand I can think of:

DCBS

Fearless Readers

MyComicShop

Even though you don't have what he wants, it sound like he called the right guy. He may not be computer savvy, I often forget there are still people that have no idea how to use one.

I would just point him to someone that has what he is looking for, i'm sure you know someone.

This sounds a little weird to me... hm Did you ask or did he say he has a computer/internet? Why wouldn't he go on-line and cruise any of the bezillion venues offering comics so he could purchase them and they arrive at his doorstep?? doh!

Sounds pretty fishy...

Which reminds me of the joke...there's only two things that smell like fish...and one of 'em's fish...

Good god man!!! You don't even try to stay hidden!

5 posts and you're already announcing you're a banned member?!? :shy:

You musta been on vacation when I was putting "Stu" into all my user IDs lol