• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Revival

8,375 posts in this topic

My 2c

This guy won't be buying any Revival phantoms. Not over rants or hate-dropping. I'm just burned slam out with variants. TWD 100 and Bedlam were too much and ended up being a turn off for me. I much prefer series that have one variant every once in a while (or one for issue one - Think Tank, Saga, Clone, etc.). I'm sticking to first prints (except with Saga and Revival..... What, I've already started..... :grin:

+1

I'll tweet a pic of the deleted post now...

@larryscomics

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I do think that people here unfairly gang up on you. I also agree that what is and isnt moderated on these boards is often confusing.

That being said, the Modern board, on the CGC forum, is always going to be intrinsically a speculators haven. By nature of the comics discussed being new, and by nature of the way a third party grading system adds value without altering the actual underlying object itself(simply verifying what was already true, and guaranteeing it).

As a speculators haven, I do think its very fair game for people to raise questions about the Phantom Variant program, or any variants for that matter.

I do think questions like, how many variants is too many, can too many variants harm a book instead of help it, etc, are VERY VALID.

All the personal attacks etc, in either direction dont benefit anyone, or the board itself. I do think you are often wronged and treated badly. That being said, the person you replied to, to my understanding, was expressing a desire to not have more Variants made for a favourite series 1st and foremost. Though I suppose it wasnt expressed very clearly, and I can definitely see how you could take it personally and react accordingly.

I have also said it before, that I only buy variants of number 1s, and potential keys. With one phantom a week, 52 books in a year, there should be enough series and artists to help out there, without needing to do 12 revivals, or 6 bedlams. That's my two cents. I do think they devalue your brand, and the series in question. Variants should be prestigious and uncommon. Comics are already frothy and scarily mimicing the 90s in a lot of ways. I'd love to see you succeed with your program, and its lame that the Ghost people stole your idea. I own phantom bedlams, and no ghosts, but i do think if you want long term success, that the criticisms being voiced should be taken in to consideration.

Edited by CBT

I'll tweet a pic of the deleted post now...

@larryscomics

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I do think that people here unfairly gang up on you. I also agree that what is and isnt moderated on these boards is often confusing.

That being said, the Modern board, on the CGC forum, is always going to be intrinsically a speculators haven. By nature of the comics discussed being new, and by nature of the way a third party grading system adds value without altering the actual underlying object itself(simply verifying what was already true, and guaranteeing it).

As a speculators haven, I do think its very fair game for people to raise questions about the Phantom Variant program, or any variants for that matter.

I do think questions like, how many variants is too many, can too many variants harm a book instead of help it, etc, are VERY VALID.

All the personal attacks etc, in either direction dont benefit anyone, or the board itself. I do think you are often wronged and treated badly. That being said, the person you replied to, to my understanding, was expressing a desire to not have more Variants made for a favourite series 1st and foremost. Though I suppose it wasnt expressed very clearly, and I can definitely see how you could take it personally and react accordingly.

I have also said it before, that I only buy variants of number 1s, and potential keys. With one phantom a week, 52 books in a year, there should be enough series and artists to help out there, without needing to do 12 revivals, or 6 bedlams. That's my two cents. I do think they devalue your brand, and the series in question. Variants should be prestigious and uncommon. Comics are already frothy and scarily mimicing the 90s in a lot of ways. I'd love to see you succeed with your program, and its lame that the Ghost people stole your idea. I own phantom bedlams, and no ghosts, but i do think if you want long term success, that the criticisms being voiced should be taken in to consideration.

Wait, wasn't the ghost variant of WD 101 the first of these?

and its lame that the Ghost people stole your idea.

Oh dear lord do you have your facts mixed up.

Larry started the Phantom program as a direct result of the Ghost variant program [not including him]. I mean gee, his overly pleasant commentaries he's known for surely wasn't a possible factor in him being left out.

He got a bit mad at that. So he created the Phantom program to get back at those meanies. Maybe if he didn't berrate people in public forums and spew vitriol in his twitter statuses he would have been included...

Respectable organizations (re: Ghost Variant program) require respectable people.

Edited by roastedbagel

Larry started the Phantom program as a direct result of the Ghost variant program [not including him]. I mean gee, his overly pleasant commentaries he's known for surely wasn't a possible factor in him being left out.

He got a bit mad at that. So he created the Phantom program to get back at those meanies. Maybe if he didn't berrate people in public forums and spew vitriol in his twitter statuses he would have been included...

Respectable organizations (re: Ghost Variant program) require respectable people.

I think what CBT is referring to is that Larry has stated in the past that the program that ended becoming the "Ghost" was actually his idea. He pitched the idea, was in a sense told no, but then eventually his idea was turned into the "Ghost" without him being included. Ergo, he was pizzed about it and went on to create the Phantom.

There is a TON of valid bad blood between the Ghost & the Phantom programs.

https://ui.constantcontact.com/rnavmap/emcf/email/create?copyUid=1111356495743

I could care less about what the CGC board vermin think about me.

Your collective actions speak volumes.

You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy...

Rants like this don't help Larry and up until this post he was constantly trying to undermine the Ghost variants.

I think what CBT is referring to is that Larry has stated in the past that the program that ended becoming the "Ghost" was actually his idea....Ergo, he was pizzed about it and went on to create the Phantom.

^^

+1

I give zero credence to the accusations Larry throws around about respectable retailers who aren't here to defend themselves.

The man seems to be a competent business owner, but he really needs a PR person to run his internet presence and save him from his own racist/homophobic/generally nasty online persona.

Quote of the decade.

I think what CBT is referring to is that Larry has stated in the past that the program that ended becoming the "Ghost" was actually his idea....Ergo, he was pizzed about it and went on to create the Phantom.

^^

my comment was not mixed up in the slightest, but rather merely refering to his comments at face value, and was addressed to him. If people want to argue with his claims, that's a separate debate on whether he is telling the truth or not.

But as ebtorres pointed out, his claims are well known to those familiar with the whole story.

Edited by CBT

I guess there is going to be a 2nd printing of Revival 5, did not receive any notification from Image and Diamond doesn't show it on their New Printings & Variants list, but it shows in Bleeding Cool's top reorder list...

www.bleedingcool.com/2013/01/03/superior-spider-man-dominates-reorder-chart/