• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Warner Bros saw how much Marvel's The Avengers made.....

105 posts in this topic

Thats pretty cool and all, but would make a terrible movie. Who wants a movie where all the heroes die? Works better as a 5 minute teaser trailer. Anyone can do a decent "final story" (Killing Joke, DKR, Last Superman story), but if you plan on building a franchise out of it, there has to be something not quite so apocalyptic.

Set up all the movies, Superman vs whoever, Batman vs whoever, WW vs whoever, Captain Marvel vs whoever, Flash/GL, etc and establish the base. Then put the team together to fight the Legion of Doom or whatever. It works.

I didn't mean the DCU Online storyline so much as the potential of going 100% digital for a Justice League movie.

Complete artistic control over every aspect. World environments, costumes, cape flow, right down to exact muscle mass or boob size. So instead of dragging the Justice League in to our world, we get to visit theirs.

Digital actors can be extremely convincing...

(thumbs u

However, I still think most people would view it as a "cartoon".

Would be great for us, not sure the public is going to turn out like with Avengers tho

So now they're bring back the Justice League movie from "development hell"

And now they got a writer for the Wonder Woman movie too.

How do you all think they should release the JL movie?

They can't do what Marvel did with solo movies because they're already far behind :P

Just do Kingdom Come, no lead in, no back story( other than character

identification), just go right into it. Use the books as they were written, perfect.

I have read comics my entire life (well, almost), and it took me a year to figure out everything that happened in that book and who everyone was.

Not sure that would exactly work.

What is the perfect JLA story? Wouldn't it have to revolve around Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman confronting a threat which is too big for them to handle on their own, and then recruiting other heroes?

The one thing I feel Marvel did well was make a movie about each character first,so now the viewing public has a familiarity or relationship with that character in a sense.When they made Avengers that familiarity translated into each individual fan of each character going to see their favorites on the screen.

DC should mirror that formula,and not just bring out a JLA movie right away.

They shouldn't even try. It won't be good. They would be better off trying to make extremely good movies based on individual characters. Even if they are out of continuity.

They can't do what Marvel did with solo movies because they're already far behind :P

CLAYMATION!!!

That's what I'm talkin bout! :wishluck:

Just do Kingdom Come, no lead in, no back story( other than character

identification), just go right into it. Use the books as they were written, perfect.

I have read comics my entire life (well, almost), and it took me a year to figure out everything that happened in that book and who everyone was.

What is the perfect JLA story? Wouldn't it have to revolve around Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman confronting a threat which is too big for them to handle on their own, and then recruiting other heroes?

the problem is that Superman & WW are terribly boring and Batman doesn't work well in a group. given that, Starro has definite potential :P

Much like X-men 1st class last year kicked butt, a JLA movie doesn't necessarily need to have all the big 3 in it.

Someone out there should be able to formulate a team movie that works with all the characters that have been JLA members in the past.

My personal opinion? I think a time piece movie like the JSA would do really well with a 1940 backdrop, and it would set the stage for a JLA movie.

The public always loves a good retro flick and it would probably hit a lot of sweet spots much like Captain America did.

It also opens the doors to earth 1/2 storylines, etc.

I think there's a real danger in considering the Justice League and the 'movie Avengers' the same genre. The movie Avergers was a "special team" tale, basically a "clandestine agency operation" thriller, sort of Mission Impossible with much cooler team members.

Personally I think the best 'film version Justice League' to date isn't actually a Justice League movie. It's Superman / Batman: Apocalypse.

It's a mystery, has heroes at odds, brings in Wonder Woman, Big Barta, Doomsday, Darkseid, and eventually is galactic in scope.

I watched it with a non-geek girlfriend who said "wow, you forget it's animated". A high compliment for the strength of story. She followed up with " I never knew much about Supergirl, but always wondered. That was good!" It had captured her imagination.

B003UN2ILS.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Much like X-men 1st class last year kicked butt, a JLA movie doesn't necessarily need to have all the big 3 in it.

Someone out there should be able to formulate a team movie that works with all the characters that have been JLA members in the past.

My personal opinion? I think a time piece movie like the JSA would do really well with a 1940 backdrop, and it would set the stage for a JLA movie.

The public always loves a good retro flick and it would probably hit a lot of sweet spots much like Captain America did.

I like the JSA angle, but i don't think you can have a great ensemble movie without being able to devote enough time to character exposition where you actually care about the characters. I think Watchmen suffered from that a little.

Marvel has decided to take care of that by having the individual movies flesh out the characters. It has worked amazingly well. If you just saw Avengers, and not Iron man, you might think that Tony Stark was a snarky wisecracking doosh. Which worked for the character, but if you saw IM you knew that it was perfectly in line with the established character.

DC has an uphill battle. I actually thought that SuperMax movie was a good way to ease into the Universe. To me, Wonder Woman is the only way to start the JLA franchise. Greek mythos provides good villains and familiar backdrop, bring to modern society and have some rogue titans destroy a couple cities until WW triumphs.

I watched it with a non-geek girlfriend who said "wow, you forget it's animated".

You watched it with a girl?

End of thread.

^^

I like the JSA angle, but i don't think you can have a great ensemble movie without being able to devote enough time to character exposition where you actually care about the characters. I think Watchmen suffered from that a little.

Marvel has decided to take care of that by having the individual movies flesh out the characters. It has worked amazingly well. If you just saw Avengers, and not Iron man, you might think that Tony Stark was a snarky wisecracking doosh. Which worked for the character, but if you saw IM you knew that it was perfectly in line with the established character.

DC has an uphill battle. I actually thought that SuperMax movie was a good way to ease into the Universe. To me, Wonder Woman is the only way to start the JLA franchise. Greek mythos provides good villains and familiar backdrop, bring to modern society and have some rogue titans destroy a couple cities until WW triumphs.

Watchmen was the first thing that came to mind when I wrote "JSA".

The WW angle is good, and could well open the doors the way Iron Man did for Marvel.

The biggest mistake DC could make is rush this by trying to push out something gimmicky.

There's nothing stopping them from making a few good $200MIL or $300MIL movies the way Marvel did before putting together a blockbuster. Well, nothing except for premature execs.

DC blew it years ago when they did the Superman reboot. They should've expanded the Smallville story and used those actors. Should've had Loeb oversee the creative process, or even write the -script himself.

Turn him into Superman (costume and all that) in the movie. They had a built-in fan base already, they had laid all of the groundwork with the show. Plus, with the movie, they'd finally have an enormous budget to work with.

Smallville Superman was better than the new guy. Durance is a hotter LL than Bosworth. And Smallville Lex was better than Spacey's version. Coulda thrown Lana in there for additional eye candy.

Average viewers per episode of Smallville's final season: 2.5 million

Average price nationwide for a movie ticket: $7.93

Potential gross for a Smallville movie: 19,825,000

DC blew it years ago when they did the Superman reboot. They should've expanded the Smallville story and used those actors. Should've had Loeb oversee the creative process, or even write the -script himself.

Turn him into Superman (costume and all that) in the movie. They had a built-in fan base already, they had laid all of the groundwork with the show. Plus, with the movie, they'd finally have an enormous budget to work with.

Smallville Superman was better than the new guy. Durance is a hotter LL than Bosworth. And Smallville Lex was better than Spacey's version. Coulda thrown Lana in there for additional eye candy.

More people than just the Smallville audience would go to see it. How many people went and saw the reboot?

More people than just the Smallville audience would go to see it. How many people went and saw the reboot?

I don't think studio heads would look at it that way. They'd see the TV numbers and wonder why more people would pay to see a movie version.

Heck, even the finale of Smallville was only watched by 3 million viewers. Less than 1% of the population of the U.S.

The biggest mistake DC could make is rush this by trying to push out something gimmicky.

There's nothing stopping them from making a few good $200MIL or $300MIL movies the way Marvel did before putting together a blockbuster. Well, nothing except for premature execs.

I think "gimmicky" could be good if it's a gimmick the public will respond to in the long term. I think mini-movies on youtube could be a nice controlled way to build public interest. I've long wondered why trailers only use scenes from the movie, when a teaser is likely to work just as well. A series of five-minute self-contained videos of different characters, on a web channel of some kind isn't something that someone would have to worry about missing, as is the case with the feature films. It could even become something that people go back to after the big movie, looking for the easter eggs they'd missed before.

Or has it already been done?

I watched it with a non-geek girlfriend who said "wow, you forget it's animated".

You watched it with a girl?

End of thread.

^^

lol Not exactly a rare occurrence. I'll run geek fare by any hot Mugglette who'll sit still for it.

Never miss a shot at unleashing their inner-geekness. You just never know...

DC blew it years ago when they did the Superman reboot.

I really am a Marvel Zombie, but good DC films are good for everyone; I want to be clear that I want DC movies to succeed.

Having said that, how do you make a Superman film where Superman never throws a punch? :facepalm:

I know the movie as a whole was terrible but that 12 minute sequence with the airplane when Superman makes his triumphant return was total movie gold... I'll watch the movie just for that part every time!

know who storyboarded that sequence?

Gabriel Hardman...

+1

Pretty good idea Roy. You could start the story with the rocket from Krypton, landing on earth 2, starting the age of heroes. Do the Batman origin, and then you could follow it up with a brief origin of each character, and have FDR ask the heroes to help out in WW2.

Too good of an idea for DC to ever do it though.

IMO, the biggest mistake they can make it to try to do in one fell swoop what Marvel has done over a period of years with several movies.

The individual and Avengers movies have done well because they were good MOVIES, not just because they were superhero movies. They walked the fine line of putting enough in the movies to please us superhero geeks, while not isolating those who are only familiar with the characters by name.

(IMO, the single biggest and smartest decision of the entire years-long project was casting RDJ as Tony Stark.)

If the JLA movie amounts to nothing more than a "me too" effort to hop on what they think is a surefire money train, everyone will be able to see through it, and WB might find themselves in for a rude awakening. If they're not disciplined and willing to invest the same amount of time, planning, and energy over the same length of time as Marvel, it's doubtful they'll get the same results.