• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pretty Marvels of the Day (6/18/04)

39 posts in this topic

here are 5 (if they all fit) copies of Strange Tales that i got back from CGC yesterday after their 4 month vacation in Florida. as usual, these are my off-the-rack purchase from 1964.

#116 first thing x-over is a 9.0 with White pages.

#117 ist Doc Strange name on cover and is a 9.4 with OW/W pgs.

#118 guest stars the FF and is a 9.4 with White pgs.

#120 has an Iceman x-over and is a 9.4 with OW/W pgs.

#121 1st ish w/ doc strange story illo on cover and is a 9.0 wOW/Wpgs.

cloud9.gifcloud9.gif

1087995488220_Strange_Tales.jpg

1089310841628_Strange_Tales_001.jpg

1085846782765_Strange_Tales_002.jpg

1086133428267_Strange_Tales_003.jpg

1089386281389_Strange_Tales_004.jpg

Number one : I hate you !!

Number two : How did you keep your comics in such good condition for so long .

I used to have an original owner collection till my two daughters came along 20 years ago then I sold them as my wife gave up work to look after the children .

So I am collecting again all the comics I used to own in 9 / 9.2 , will take me quite a while but it is fun .

Number Three : Don't really hate you I admire people with the foresight to have kept their original collections I 'm paying for it now ( in more ways than one ) .

120 is one of my favorite covers. I posted it here a while back.

It's the second X-Men crossover. Here is what I have posted on my web site in regards to that book: "This issues main focus is on Iceman, with the entire team only appering in one pannel. The Fantastic Four also appear. There's also a classic (often overlooked) Dr. Strange backup story writen by Stan Lee and drawn by Steve Ditko."

Great looking books Burnt! As for the stories...

1087995488220_Strange_Tales.jpg

Johnny vs Ben for the umpteenth time sleeping.gif

1089310841628_Strange_Tales_001.jpg

The EEL? 27_laughing.gif

1085846782765_Strange_Tales_002.jpg

Even back then WIZARD got a bad rap confused-smiley-013.gif

1086133428267_Strange_Tales_003.jpg

I like Torch and Iceman team-ups - don't see that often now...maybe they figured out these two really couldn't team up without negating each other confused-smiley-013.gif

1089386281389_Strange_Tales_004.jpg

Oh no! Plantman!! RUN! Pimpy's overgrown basement experiment gone wild foreheadslap.gif Where's Paste Pot Pete when you need him? 27_laughing.gif

Number one : I hate you !!

Number two : How did you keep your comics in such good condition for so long .

I used to have an original owner collection till my two daughters came along 20 years ago then I sold them as my wife gave up work to look after the children .

So I am collecting again all the comics I used to own in 9 / 9.2 , will take me quite a while but it is fun .

Number Three : Don't really hate you I admire people with the foresight to have kept their original collections I 'm paying for it now ( in more ways than one ) .

i've stated it before, but these comics spent their first 10 years standing upright in a deep dresser drawer barea$$ed. the next ten were spent inside the insidious polybags from the 60's/70's. the last 20+ were in mylar with acid free boards. not really sure how they made it through the first 20 years?!?! quite a few didn't fare all that well........ frown.gif

i cannot deny that the villains in strange tales , tales to astonish and tales of suspense were often lacking. (think plantman, the top, the porcupine, the scarecrow,etc). and i'm absolutely with you on paste pot pete - hell i thought he was absurd when i was 14 years old.......... 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

I enjoy seeing your exceptionally nice books, Burnt, and salute you again for keeping them in such great shape for 40 years. Get a load of that unusual coloring on the Thing on that 116! When my buddies and I read 'em in the 60s, we'd fold back the front covers (so they could be read one-handed laying on the bed or floor), and stuff 'em into pockets. Then after they laid around for a few months, our Moms sent 'em to heroes-heaven. My original owner books from high school and beyond fared alot better, but they're merely bronze age, and obviously not as rare.

Here's to you, and the Sid's Luncheonette pedigree!