• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tomahawk collecting Thread

128 posts in this topic

I searched far and wide and could not locate a thread on Tomahawk. This seems a bit odd for a series that lasted 140 issues. hm

From the Wiki article.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomahawk_(comics)

Tomahawk was a backup feature in Star Spangled Comics from his first appearance, issue #69 (June 1947) to issue #130 (July 1952), and in World's Finest Comics from issue #33 (Mar. 1948) until issue #101 (May 1959).

The Tomahawk series lasted 140 issues, from 1950 to 1972. Most stories during this period were by writer France Herron and artist Fred Ray. The last ten issues of Tomahwak focused on "Hawk, Son of Tomahawk" (Hawk Haukins), and the cover title said "Son of Tomahawk".

Known as either Tom Hawk or Thomas Haukins, depending on which of two versions of his published history the reader prefers, "Tomahawk" was a soldier who served under George Washington in the warfare between the British, French and Iroquois forces during the decades prior to the American Revolutionary War and acquired his nickname due to its resemblance to a trademark weapon of the Iroquois Confederacy's warriors, and to the skill he developed with that weapon.

He subsequently achieved further fame as one of Washington's most capable operatives during the Revolution itself, leading a band of soldiers under the informal nickname of "Tomahawk's Rangers".

In issues 35 and 36 (Sept.–Nov. 1955), Tomahawk met a young Davy Crockett, who was very popular at the time. However, this was a historical error, as Crockett (1786–1836) was not born until after the Revolutionary War.

Tomahawk_102.jpg

TOMH_87.jpg

BTW--Great idea for a thread. I'm a big fan of Tomahawk books especially from the 1950s and 1960s. I have some others lying around, but it will take a while to find them. When I do I will scan them. I forget the name of the owner of A-1 comics but I'm grateful for him for giving me a great price on a very scarce book especially in mid grade or higher.

SLR

I searched far and wide and could not locate a thread on Tomahawk.

It's a tough job but somebody had to do it.

;)

I'm going to have to reach deep for these (fourth drawer from the top actually, and they may be fifteen centers if those are allowed).

???

I searched far and wide and could not locate a thread on Tomahawk.

It's a tough job but somebody had to do it.

;)

I'm going to have to reach deep for this one (fourth drawer from the top actually, and they may be fifteen centers if those are allowed).

???

When the going get tough... start a new thread. :grin:

Looking forward to seeing them. I may have one fifteen center myself to share.

Here's the historically inaccurate Tomahawk 35 featuring the origin of Davy Crockett.

Worse yet it's biologically inaccurate. White bison never ranged as far east as the Appalachians.

:preach:

Are BA Tomahawks welcome? (Hawk...Son of...)

I didn't start the thread but I would love to see them.

SLR

I'll try to post them tonight.

P.S. Nice 'hawks, Red Hood.

Are BA Tomahawks welcome? (Hawk...Son of...)

I didn't start the thread but I would love to see them.

SLR

Here's a couple.

Tomahawk131.jpg

Tomahawk136.jpg

Great books. Thanks for sharing. I love that 48-pager!. DC would feature some reprints from back issues in the 48- and 52-pagers. . I'd like to find a copy of that book.

SLR

Here's the historically inaccurate Tomahawk 35 featuring the origin of Davy Crockett. Found it at SDCC from A-1 comics. Tomahawk35-2.jpg

Excellent books Steve. Those 10 centers you shared are very cool. :headbang:

Thanks for the nice comment. BTW, there is only one CGC graded copy of Tomahawk 35 in the census. However, I'll keep mine raw as I enjoy reading it now and then. I always like reading both fiction and non-fiction books and comics about the Old West.

SLR

Okay, so I was attracted to these because of their Kubert covers, and I was pleasantly surprised that the stories are really good! Tomahawk is an old man on the western frontier, and his son, Hawk, is the hero of most of the stories. However, Tomahawk and his old soldiers often play a part in saving the day.

Frank Thorne does the interior art, and his line is pretty tight and Kubert-esque (not like his later 70s, expressionistic Red Sonja stuff).

The 48/52 pagers reprint a bunch of the early SA Tomahawk stories, and these are also alot of fun (and fairly historically accurate - no dinosaurs, giants, robots or super apes).

Starting with the "first" Son of Tomahawk issue 131...

THWK131.jpg

THWK132.jpg

THWK133.jpg

This might be my favorite of the bunch. I had a really hard time finding this one in grade. This is, at best, a F/VF -- there's a subscription crease that may not be easily seen in the scan.

THWK134.jpg

THWK135.jpg

Here are the last remaining five issues...

THWK136.jpg

I think this is one of Kubert's prettier women...

THWK137.jpg

THWK138.jpg

THWK139.jpg

And the final issue. Note the new logo design.

THWK140.jpg

That's all, folks!