• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tomahawk collecting Thread

128 posts in this topic

Any more Tomahawk collectors on this board? We've not had a post in this thread for over two years and that's a real pity because there have been so many fabulous Tomahawk covers over the years. Here's one by Fred Ray:

Tomahawk44_zps76bb074a.jpg

And here are a few more by Bob Brown:

Tomahawk56_zps14999cda.jpg

Tomahawk59_zps0219b78e.jpg

You gotta love those bounteous beauties!

Tomahawk58_zps57fd17e4.jpg

Tomahawk95_zps3b52be4f.jpg

Man, I wish I had more Tomahawk comics including the ones above!

:juggle:

lf_zps5c79db93.jpeg

An Edgar Church 9.6 copy from 1950 with white pages that's nicely centered/wrapped? That is among the most incredible comics I've seen posted on this board. I'm in awe!

(worship)

How long have you owned it? How deep are you into the Tomahawk run otherwise?

???

lf_zps5c79db93.jpeg

An Edgar Church 9.6 copy from 1950 with white pages that's nicely centered/wrapped? That is among the most incredible comics I've seen posted on this board. I'm in awe!

(worship)

???

Thanks for the kind words. I've been slowly picking up Tomahawks. One of these days I need to buckle down and see if I can complete the run -- I've got a lot of missing issues.

Anyone on the boards have a complete run?

lf_zps5c79db93.jpeg

(worship)

???

Thanks for the kind words. I've been slowly picking up Tomahawks. One of these days I need to buckle down and see if I can complete the run -- I've got a lot of missing issues.

I have quite a few, although they're mostly a mid-grade. Don't know of anyone with a complete run of this title, except for Ian Levine, of course.

lf_zps5c79db93.jpeg

(worship)

???

I have quite a few, although they're mostly a mid-grade. Don't know of anyone with a complete run of this title, except for Ian Levine, of course.

I guess we have to count Ian Levine as being on the boards although I don't think he's posted in ages.

While there are 18 CGC Tomahawk registry sets including one with an impressive 35% completion, none of the top sets have any of the first 70 or so issues graded , they mostly have only the Adams issue entered into the registry.

this is another example of how neglected golden age DC is with collectors,

I never could understand how there are so many modern issued slabbed and so few classical DC series slabbed,

someday , maybe with the grandkids generation there will be a realization of just how sweet (and hard to find) 1950's classical DC sets really are and there will be a run on what few are out there.

I never could understand how there are so many modern issued slabbed and so few classical DC series slabbed,

That's because younger collectors have been quicker to embrace slabbing, while Tomahawk comics from the fifties tend to be concentrated in the hands of older collectors who remember these issues from their childhood.

:preach:

While there are 18 CGC Tomahawk registry sets including one with an impressive 35% completion, none of the top sets have any of the first 70 or so issues graded , they mostly have only the Adams issue entered into the registry.

someday , maybe with the grandkids generation there will be a realization of just how sweet (and hard to find) 1950's classical DC sets really are and there will be a run on what few are out there.

Not really worth slabbing them unless they are uber high grade. (and best of luck finding a lot of those) Look at the Church #1 and the Mohawk Valley # 3 copies in this thread. Totally worth slabbing those. A random mid grade Tomahawk # 25, not so much.

Really don't see the census blowing up with early Tomahawks.

Not really worth slabbing them unless they are uber high grade. (and best of luck finding a lot of those) Look at the Church #1 and the Mohawk Valley # 3 copies in this thread. Totally worth slabbing those. A random mid grade Tomahawk # 25, not so much.

As someone who collects Tomahawks (although they're not a priority compared to my pre-code / pre-hero Atlas sets) I'd say that the issues from around 20 - 80 are very hard to find in high grade. Maybe it wasn't a title that was collected much back in the day, or maybe there just aren't that many current collectors seeking them for runs to become extant in the marketplace.

Oh really ?? ... as opposed to slabbing say a non-descript issue such as ASM #681 with 29 graded copies in the census , are you saying that a Tomahawk #18 CGC 5.0 for example is less worthy of slabbing than a ASM #681 in CGC 9.8 , which would you rather have for $45.00 ???

Oh really ?? ... as opposed to slabbing say a non-descript issue such as ASM #681 with 29 graded copies in the census , are you saying that a Tomahawk #18 CGC 5.0 for example is less worthy of slabbing than a ASM #681 in CGC 9.8 , which would you rather have for $45.00 ???

I don't think either of those examples are slab worthy. Mid grade Tomahawks should be left raw for reading :cloud9: Why in the name of all that's holy would anyone slab a mid grade Tomahawk 18?? :screwy: