• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tomahawk collecting Thread

128 posts in this topic

While there are 18 CGC Tomahawk registry sets including one with an impressive 35% completion, none of the top sets have any of the first 70 or so issues graded , they mostly have only the Adams issue entered into the registry.

this is another example of how neglected golden age DC is with collectors,

I never could understand how there are so many modern issued slabbed and so few classical DC series slabbed,

someday , maybe with the grandkids generation there will be a realization of just how sweet (and hard to find) 1950's classical DC sets really are and there will be a run on what few are out there.

Not really worth slabbing them unless they are uber high grade. (and best of luck finding a lot of those) Look at the Church #1 and the Mohawk Valley # 3 copies in this thread. Totally worth slabbing those. A random mid grade Tomahawk # 25, not so much.

Really don't see the census blowing up with early Tomahawks.

Oh really ?? ... as opposed to slabbing say a non-descript issue such as ASM #681 with 29 graded copies in the census , are you saying that a Tomahawk #18 CGC 5.0 for example is less worthy of slabbing than a ASM #681 in CGC 9.8 , which would you rather have for $45.00 ???

I don't think either of those examples are slab worthy. Mid grade Tomahawks should be left raw for reading :cloud9: Why in the name of all that's holy would anyone slab a mid grade Tomahawk 18?? :screwy:

your right good answer!!!!

While there are 18 CGC Tomahawk registry sets including one with an impressive 35% completion, none of the top sets have any of the first 70 or so issues graded , they mostly have only the Adams issue entered into the registry.

this is another example of how neglected golden age DC is with collectors,

I never could understand how there are so many modern issued slabbed and so few classical DC series slabbed,

someday , maybe with the grandkids generation there will be a realization of just how sweet (and hard to find) 1950's classical DC sets really are and there will be a run on what few are out there.

Not really worth slabbing them unless they are uber high grade. (and best of luck finding a lot of those) Look at the Church #1 and the Mohawk Valley # 3 copies in this thread. Totally worth slabbing those. A random mid grade Tomahawk # 25, not so much.

Oh really ?? ... as opposed to slabbing say a non-descript issue such as ASM #681 with 29 graded copies in the census , are you saying that a Tomahawk #18 CGC 5.0 for example is less worthy of slabbing than a ASM #681 in CGC 9.8 , which would you rather have for $45.00 ???

A VG/F Tomahawk 18 is probably still worth $45 in the raw, a NM/M Spider-man 681 isn't. If you can't add enough value by slabbing, you're far less likely to find a slabbed copy of a book.

Would it be so wrong for someone to desire to put together a CGC mid grade or lower set of Tomahawks issues 1-70 ????

Whether it's wrong or right is a matter of personal preference. I'd just put together a raw run. Yes, maybe I'd buy a slabbed copy if it came up for sale (not at a premium though) but I'd then crack it out of the slab.

People are free to slab whatever that want but I've seen many comics that really had no business whatsoever being in a slab when a nice mylar and full/half back would do just as well.

I'd LOVE to own Straw Man's Mohawk Valley #3. That book is dead sexy :luhv:

People are free to slab whatever that want but I've seen many comics that really had no business whatsoever being in a slab when a nice mylar and full/half back would do just as well.

The lure of a CGC registry set draws a lot of people to grade comics that ,..as you say are not really worth the extra cost, you are correct .

I think it is kinda neat that someone , if they want ,can be proud of having the only CGC registry set in existence of a particular run even if it is foolish money wise.

I always dream of putting complete sets of mid grade or even lower CGC graded runs of say issues 1-50 of some of the classic DC 1950 series (like strange adventure, mystery in space, etc) I know I am completely foolish with these dreams because nobody else has them or attempts them and that should tell me something

Just build those runs raw and you will have all the cash you would have spent on slabbing available to buy more comics.

thank you Jeffro , that is solid advice , I have been so over consumed with CGC graded sets that I posted a message in the gold section.

(and i am now embarrassed to admit I am working on a couple of them)

I am not sure I can resist , I may just have to let the compulsion run its course and thankfully, I can almost afford it , now all the space graded comics take up is another story in itself -thanks again

The lure of a CGC registry set draws a lot of people to grade comics that ,..as you say are not really worth the extra cost, you are correct .

I think it is kinda neat that someone , if they want ,can be proud of having the only CGC registry set in existence of a particular run even if it is foolish money wise.

I always dream of putting complete sets of mid grade or even lower CGC graded runs of say issues 1-50 of some of the classic DC 1950 series (like strange adventure, mystery in space, etc) I know I am completely foolish with these dreams because nobody else has them or attempts them and that should tell me something

I know exactly what you mean. I have slabbed some low-grade or mid-grade books where the slabbing didn't make any economic sense. In my view, if you are interested in the book just for the cover or just because you are compiling a run -- and don't intend to read the contents -- then for purposes of storing and viewing, a slabbed book beats a raw book. (thumbs u

I don't think either of those examples are slab worthy. Mid grade Tomahawks should be left raw for reading :cloud9: Why in the name of all that's holy would anyone slab a mid grade Tomahawk 18?? :screwy:

I agree. Neither are worth slabbing, but the younger fellows more likely to have the ASM 681 slab those anyway.

(shrug)

River City copy

Tomahawk-62a.jpg

Now you're just embarrassing the rest of us with that awesome comic.

(tsk)

The fellow who put the River City collection together must have been one cool dude though! Pedigreed Tomahawk comics are scarce indeed.

(thumbs u

I guess Mike of Mike's Amazing World of DC Comics also has a set.

:)

I don't think so.

I thought he had every DC comic ever published with the exception of less than a dozen including Action 1. Did he sell them all in the past three years or something?

???