• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Alan Moore

25 posts in this topic

Sorry if this was posted already. This interview was on the BBC a couple of months ago. If you like Moore (or even if you don't), i highly recommend it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAfXSgRxQEc&feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tn95a3gGaW0&feature=relmfu

Short news report

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLrraNUAk2c&feature=related

So what do you think of his views on movies being made from his work and his distain for them? I've been reading his comics since i picked up the Killing Joke as a kid when it came out so i'm a big fan but all this time i never listened to the man speak, just read dozens of out of context quotes over the years. When taken out of context he comes across as a grumpy old hermit who hates the world but when you actually listen to him he's a really down to earth, humble and genuine man who makes great points, not to mention a literary genius.

HOWEVER i still can't agree with him about the movie adaptations. Not because he isn't entitled to his opinion, he is more than any of us since it was his work, but because he refuses to even watch any of the movies based on his work. If he watched From Hell, LoEG, Constantine, V or Watchmen and said "i don't like x, y and z" then that would be ok. He also doesn't think that ANY comic can be made into a movie.

Agree, disagree? Either way i highly recommend watching if your a fan of his work or the movies that were based on it.

That guy from Comic Book Men totally stole Alan Moore's look. Right down to the t-shirt and stretchy pants.

Bryan? He doesn't like me very much because i called him a bully lol

Yes! Him! I love that show. I'm bummed we only got six episodes. I hope it's coming back.

At this point, is Alan Moore saying anything new about making comics into movies? He's been ranting about that for years. I'd love to see him get behind or embrace something positive for the industry - and maybe he has already?

That guy from Comic Book Men totally stole Alan Moore's look. Right down to the t-shirt and stretchy pants.

Yes! Him! I love that show. I'm bummed we only got six episodes. I hope it's coming back.

At this point, is Alan Moore saying anything new about making comics into movies? He's been ranting about that for years. I'd love to see him get behind or embrace something positive for the industry - and maybe he has already?

I think Alan has bled the comic industry for his own gain (some may say fair enough), but there is SO much more he could have added if he was not up his own - IMO

Yes. Interesting comics.

I think Moore is probably the greatest genius of the modern age mainstream comics world. But he's also an eccentric. I think he doesn't like the movies for much the same reason a lot of less successful eccentrics with great bodies of work would refuse to even participate in a movie deal, but since they would be self publishers a lot of the time they probably don't have to comment on the movie made about their character because nobody is going to make it without their consent. It's Moore's own fault for dealing with DC in the first place, but I understand where he's coming from. I also understand why people would think he's grumpy too.

I think Alan has bled the comic industry for his own gain (some may say fair enough), but there is SO much more he could have added if he was not up his own - IMO

'bled the comic industry for his own gain'? lol

I think Moore has probably turned down more money making opportunities in this industry than anyone who's ever been a part of it.

I think he's gotten behind creators rights. Pretty good for the industry

He also doesn't think that ANY comic can be made into a movie.

Does he also think movies can't be made into comics? :screwy:

He also doesn't think that ANY comic can be made into a movie.

Does he also think movies can't be made into comics? :screwy:

I'm not a Moore hater btw- I just hate those one sentence jackazz "TRUTHS" that you just can never do something.

His take on the movies seems to me like a baby throwing his dummy (pacifier) out of the pram.

In the late eighties he and Gibbons sold their rights - he just didn't like how the deal ended up.

He also stops other creators benefitting from movie deals and falls out with those who do make deals.

As he gets older he seems to get worse.

I think Moore is probably the greatest genius of the modern age mainstream comics world. But he's also an eccentric. I think he doesn't like the movies for much the same reason a lot of less successful eccentrics with great bodies of work would refuse to even participate in a movie deal, but since they would be self publishers a lot of the time they probably don't have to comment on the movie made about their character because nobody is going to make it without their consent. It's Moore's own fault for dealing with DC in the first place, but I understand where he's coming from. I also understand why people would think he's grumpy too.

Thumbs up to this entire post.

I find it interesting that Ditko's principles are more admired on the boards than Moore's. I wonder how much of this is cultural and how much of it is just Ditko, smart enough to keep his mouth shut.

I find it interesting that Ditko's principles are more admired on the boards than Moore's. I wonder how much of this is cultural and how much of it is just Ditko, smart enough to keep his mouth shut.

+1. Content with who he is.