• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PAY IT FORWARD

17,623 posts in this topic

Are Canucks able to join this scheme or do the rules of US members only apply still?

As long as the person giving the item is willing to ship the books to you (and you to the US and/or Internationally) there's no problem!

compared to SW#1 those tmnt came out of the dollar bin. Not sure they'll get any love...

that is pretty cold... Thanks for insulting what I had to put up I guess...

Certainly not everything has the same value to every person. But there are some objective measures (like the market for a 'free' item) that help determine relative values. This is supposed to be a fun thread, probably don't need to explicitly point out 'values' of other people's items.

Makes more sense that if a person's item doesn't get claimed (after some time), they should make every effort to put up an item that will get claimed. If they don't have anything else to put up, I think they can just put up the free item they originally received if they want (if they wanted it, someone else probably does too).

compared to SW#1 those tmnt came out of the dollar bin. Not sure they'll get any love...

Certainly not everything has the same value to every person. But there are some objective measures (like the market for a 'free' item) that help determine relative values. This is supposed to be a fun thread, probably don't need to explicitly point out 'values' of other people's items.

Makes more sense that if a person's item doesn't get claimed (after some time), they should make every effort to put up an item that will get claimed. If they don't have anything else to put up, I think they can just put up the free item they originally received if they want (if they wanted it, someone else probably does too).

So I should give up my item that I got because no one wants the item I offered up?

So I should give up my item that I got because no one wants the item I offered up?

I think that if, after a certain amount of time has passed, if no one claims your offered item, you should either add to your offered item or change items, in hopes that someone will claim your offer. You previously stated that you had nothing else to offer. Now certainly you could go out and buy/trade for some some items to offer up (depending on your current means), or if its more convenient or economically feasible for you, offer up the item you received.

Or you could let this thread die out with you being the last person to receive a free gift.

I don't mean this as an attack on you, just a general suggestion for those who receive free gifts in this thread. If the market (for whatever reason) doesn't appear to want your offer, at some point the person should offer something different. If that person has nothing else to offer (as you have claimed), it makes sense (to me) to offer up your received gift rather than let the thread die.

I've got no horse in this race, I've never claimed anything, as I'd be hardpressed to find anything I want to offer up that I think people will take. But I like the idea of this thread, and think its pretty fun and want to see it keep going. And I don't like people insulting people's offers, which is actually the reason I posted.

The thing to remember with a thread such as this is that not everyone places the same value on things.

I posted my item knowing full well that it might not get any love. A sketch cover by some unknown guy on a forum? Who wants that ?

If no one had wanted it, I had a stack of other stuff in reserve as a replacement. I personally place more value on the sketch cover than I do the stack of Marvel G.I. Joe's I have multiple copies of. But, with those, the chance someone would have wanted them was more of a certainty.

Please try to keep posts in here as positive as possible - even if I'm not the one getting certain items in here it makes me happy to see people freely sharing their things.

I agree with someone else here that HotJuicyBurgers might want to revamp his offer - not because of any perceived value but because he might have some other "treasure" which resonates with someone happening upon this thread. I don't think he should give up the Star Wars book.

Ryan

Sorry, didn't mean to sound insulting... :) ....but tmnt adventures??

I don't mean this as an attack on you, just a general suggestion for those who receive free gifts in this thread. If the market (for whatever reason) doesn't appear to want your offer, at some point the person should offer something different. If that person has nothing else to offer (as you have claimed), it makes sense (to me) to offer up your received gift rather than let the thread die.

:golfclap:

I agree with this, if no one wants what we've got it's preferable to just change the item or give what we claimed back... I haven't used this thread yet, but since I found it I am keeping an eye on it to see if anything I want comes up! Let's keep the ball rolling...

Are one of the most fun tmnt stories (after the first mini series and then the first 3 issues since those were just adaptations of the tv show) Have you ever read them or are you just bashing them? Most of the time they are pretty awesome.

Obviously I am a turtles fan, so I am biased, but people like to knock things before they even try them...

Are one of the most fun tmnt stories (after the first mini series and then the first 3 issues since those were just adaptations of the tv show) Have you ever read them or are you just bashing them? Most of the time they are pretty awesome.

Obviously I am a turtles fan, so I am biased, but people like to knock things before they even try them...

Your item has been up for 5 days now, I think the obvious answer is to offer something different. There were no takers. (thumbs u

Your item has been up for 5 days now, I think the obvious answer is to offer something different. There were no takers. (thumbs u

I'll try my best to revamp it later today when I get home but I can't promise it will have anything exciting...

Either that or put back the SW #1 up ..... since it was the last item :preach:

How does this not go completely against the whole point of this thread?

I agree. The spirit of the thread is supposed to be one of giving. If someone's offering isn't taken, in the spirit of things they should try to find something else that may be of interest, which is fine. But for people to complain about what someone is offering up I think is rude and to suggest they give back something they received because their offering doesn't meet some mythical level of coolness is worse.

It's great that someone was able to give away something as cool as a Star Wars #1. But not everyone has that sort of thing lying around. You give what you can. For me that's the whole point.

Please try to keep posts in here as positive as possible - even if I'm not the one getting certain items in here it makes me happy to see people freely sharing their things.

I agree with someone else here that HotJuicyBurgers might want to revamp his offer - not because of any perceived value but because he might have some other "treasure" which resonates with someone happening upon this thread. I don't think he should give up the Star Wars book.

Ryan

+1

I put up the SW1 to try to match the coolness of the books I claimed, having no idea if the values match at all since I obviously had not received them. It could very well turn out the Thor's were under graded and out-value the SW by quite a bit. I'd feel bad about that, but rest assured I'd make up for it here at some point. That may not "even" things with NamesJay, but I think it's in the spirit he intended when he started this thread.

I don't think 4-5 days with no action = Dead Thread. I do think the current offer could be sweetened/altered in some way though, but I don't think it has to be NOW. As collectors, we need to be more patient than that or else we'll come off sounding like investors. :o(tsk)

:baiting:

I'm certainly not telling HJB what he needs to do, but if he needs time he should politely be given time. There's no hurry, is there? :shrug: