• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should page quality be awarded points in the registry?

PQ assigned registry points  

222 members have voted

1. 1. PQ assigned registry points

66 posts in this topic

I am guessing that CGC isn't set up to distinguish white page/pedigree books from the others, just by entering a number in the registry. So, I doubt this will ever happen.

If it can do it for SS books why not Pedigrees?

When I enter a Pedigree, the Registry knows its a pedigree and lists which one it is so it doesn't seem like it would be very difficult to have it assign a point bump on the book (shrug)

I am pretty sure that Gemma stated that this was not doable. I will send her a PM to verify.

No, she did, I just don't understand why?

Like I said, when you enter a Pedigree in the registry, it knows not only that it's a Pedigree but also which Pedigree. It doesn't seem like it would be that difficult for the program to be changed to add 10% or whatever to any cert# enter that it recognizes as a Pedigree (shrug)

Well, it gets messy. Some books that are labeled as pedigreed as no longer recognized pedigrees. Should one pedigree be worth more... and so on and so forth. Plus, not everyone recognizes a pedigreed book. However, it's difficult to not recognize a signature staring back at you from the front cover.

True but it doesn't seem much different than SS books to me?

Some sigs are definitely worth more than others but it doesn't matter who signs it to the registry. It has someone's sig on it so it gets a bump. I don't really care either way. It's not going to vault me up the rankings. Most people ahead of me have as many or more Peds than I do. I just don't get the "it's not doable" argument (shrug)

I couldn't agree more with what Watson and Jason have stated. Flawless points and counters.

Since SS books are bumped, I feel an argument can be made about Pedigrees and PQ. But since SS books are their creation and a source of some amount of revenue, Pedigrees and PQ are looked at as a red headed stepchild by some of their departments.

SS is a service provided by CGC for a price. Pedigree designation isn't.

SS worth more benefits CGC directly.

From a collector's point of view, this makes absolutely no sense to me at all.

To have a book from the Church, Allentown, or Curator collection should definitely be worth more than a regular no-name book in the same condition. As for SS books, I would actually deduct points for these books because they have been "defaced" in amnner of speaking.

You should take my opinions with a grain of salt though, because I have never looked at the Registry and don't really see the need for this type of scoreboard in the first place.

I agree with you 100%. I was offering the explaination as to why SS books get more points than a pedigree. It benefits CGC to do that for the points chasers.

I've never looked at the registry either.

To have a book from the Church, Allentown, or Curator collection should definitely be worth more than a regular no-name book in the same condition. As for SS books, I would actually deduct points for these books because they have been "defaced" in amnner of speaking.

You should take my opinions with a grain of salt though, because I have never looked at the Registry and don't really see the need for this type of scoreboard in the first place.

I agree with you 100%. I was offering the explaination as to why SS books get more points than a pedigree. It benefits CGC to do that for the points chasers.

I'm curious whether CGC would give more registry points to SS books because it benefits them monetarily.

Would they make a great deal out of people chasing registry points? I didn't think people took the registry that seriously.

I'm curious whether CGC would give more registry points to SS books because it benefits them monetarily.

Would they make a great deal out of people chasing registry points? I didn't think people took the registry that seriously.

It's the only possible explanation, isn't it?

It's the only possible explanation, isn't it?

The registry point system is quite flawed in terms of point value. Contradictory at the very least. I see books that are quite elusive with mere points. Blasphamy!

The purpose of the Registry is to generate sales of CGC graded books. The more books sold, the more books the CGC grades. It may not be a huge amount of books, but if it didn't benefit the CGC financially, it wouldn't exist. There are books out there that get graded for no other reason than fill a hole in someone's Registry set. It's just like these boards, if they didn't benefit the CGC in some manner, they wouldn't be here.

The Registry is a nifty little gadget. I'll give them that much. Give an obsessive compulsive a way to keep track, earn points, validate themselves and their hobby, and make it competitive; it's like crack to a cocaine addict.

The purpose of the Registry is to generate sales of CGC graded books. The more books sold, the more books the CGC grades. It may not be a huge amount of books, but if it didn't benefit the CGC financially, it wouldn't exist. There are books out there that get graded for no other reason than fill a hole in someone's Registry set. It's just like these boards, if they didn't benefit the CGC in some manner, it wouldn't be here.

The Registry is a nifty little gadget. I'll give them that much. Give an obsessive compulsive a way to keep track, earn points, validate themselves and their hobby, and make it competitive; it's like crack to a cocaine addict.

+1

Whoever came up with the idea for the registry was pure genius :applause:

I dont know how much it costs them to run it but i GUARANTEE you that theyve made back that money times like 10 by people getting books slabbed for the sole reason of finishing runs or adding whatever books to fill their registry.

The purpose of the Registry is to generate sales of CGC graded books. The more books sold, the more books the CGC grades. It may not be a huge amount of books, but if it didn't benefit the CGC financially, it wouldn't exist. There are books out there that get graded for no other reason than fill a hole in someone's Registry set. It's just like these boards, if they didn't benefit the CGC in some manner, it wouldn't be here.

+1

Whoever came up with the idea for the registry was pure genius :applause:

I dont know how much it costs them to run it but i GUARANTEE you that theyve made back that money times like 10 by people getting books slabbed for the sole reason of finishing runs or adding whatever books to fill their registry.

I hear they actually consulted with the ghost of P.T. Barnum when coming up with the concept

I am guessing that CGC isn't set up to distinguish white page/pedigree books from the others, just by entering a number in the registry. So, I doubt this will ever happen.

When I enter a Pedigree, the Registry knows its a pedigree and lists which one it is so it doesn't seem like it would be very difficult to have it assign a point bump on the book (shrug)

I am pretty sure that Gemma stated that this was not doable. I will send her a PM to verify.

Oh, I would say it's completely doable. It just isn't worrth doing as far as CGC is concerned. I remember when on-line grader's note "weren't doable."

+1

I don't see how it's possible that it's "not doable". They just don't want to for whatever reason. I can't imagine that it "can't be done" ???

I picture Gemma going through over a million books picking out the white pagers and pedigree books. While we are at it, maybe we could ask her for multiple bonus points for white page pedigree books. :eek:

White Page Pedigree Signature Series for the win. I believe I now own all the Registry Points and possibly the Internet.

IMG00070-20101011-2107.jpg

I voted to have PQ point increases, however I am on the fence as to whether cream/brittle pages should deduct points. Maybe have brittle pages be 0% increase and cream be 5% and so on. :shrug:

Jerome

Votes for PQ to have an effect on registry points has now jumped out to a pretty comfortable lead.

I can see these sorts of debates over what the various PQs would mean for point totals. I do think that brittle pages are worthy of a deduction of points, because so many collectors will steer clear of brittle pages and it is a serious preservational problem with the comic. To me CR-OW pages are a baseline for SA and GA so that would not warrant extra points, but higher preservation like OW-W and W would enhance desirability and thus be worthy of additional points.

Oh, I would say it's completely doable. It just isn't worrth doing as far as CGC is concerned. I remember when on-line grader's note "weren't doable."

+1

I don't see how it's possible that it's "not doable". They just don't want to for whatever reason. I can't imagine that it "can't be done" ???

I picture Gemma going through over a million books picking out the white pagers and pedigree books. While we are at it, maybe we could ask her for multiple bonus points for white page pedigree books. :eek:

And don't forget to add extra points for file copies too. lol

+1

White Page Pedigree Signature Series for the win. I believe I now own all the Registry Points and possibly the Internet.

You just exploded the internets with that puppy!!! (worship)

+1

Not with a 9.4 you don't.

CGC should just use a proper database that downloads into an online system that people can subscribe to like GPA. They amount of money they have left on the table over the last few years is staggering.

Shhhhhhhh!!!

Dude! Don't be giving them any more money making ideas Peter! (tsk)

+1

And don't forget to add extra points for file copies too. lol

Again, all this info shows up in the comic details every time you enter a serial number into the registry. If the registry can tell you that your book has a particular PQ then obviously that information is coded without anyone having to look it up per issue. It would just be a matter of figuring out how to put that extra instruction into the code. Same with pedigree books or whatever else they would want to assign point values to.