• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Captain America #109..take a look please..---WARNING-- large scans inside

17 posts in this topic

Hi, please take a look at this.

I know you cant tell me what CGC would give this.. but could you please take a look.. and offer any opinions you might have to its grade.

I know it is a decent book.... but I am really stuck .. is it a clean 8.5? or would it garner higher?

No notable flaws really.. only the darn top staple has a few minor creases.. and back cover has small indent on bottom edge.

I also shot a photo of my other copy of Cap #109 to show how white it really is.

Any white glare/reflection you see on spine.. is from sun flare.. inks are solid and intact on entire book.

And yes that is a dog Hair on back cover Photo(Thnx to my dog Sydney)

Thanks in advance..

Z

cap109sidebyside.JPG

cap109cover.JPG

cap109back.JPG

capcovercornersflatten.JPG

cap109angle.JPG

That's a difficult one. In the 4 corners scan, the book looks like an 8.5. But from the second scan it looks lower, like maybe a 7.5-8.0. The overflash along the top of the back cover looks pretty rough, with some softening of the bindary corner. I'd guess it's a VERY nice 7.5 or a slightly below avg 8.0?

Brian

Great book, Ze-Man!

Unfortunately, the tape pull near the lower right edge of front cover pulls it way down from an 8.5 to maybe a 7.0 or thereabouts. What a darn shame...

Great book, Ze-Man!

Unfortunately, the tape pull near the lower right edge of front cover pulls it way down from an 8.5 to maybe a 7.0 or thereabouts. What a darn shame...

Well that is why I asked you guys...

I missed it too. foreheadslap.gif

Great catch.. 893applaud-thumb.gif on any other cover that would stik out like a sore thumb.. at least it blends in fairly well.

Thanks for opinion..

I still love it..

And will more then likely not update it.

Thnx

Z

Z,

Nice book, bright white, I bet the pages are great too! Unfortunately that tape pull takes it down to at least a 6.0 They are very tough of this book, don't know why.

It's a keeper though thumbsup2.gif

I don't think CGC is tough on Cap 109s at all -- there have been tons in 9.6. I've owned two. One I just submitted came back 9.6.

To me, this is one of the easiest books to find with a white cover and in high grade.

I don't think CGC is tough on Cap 109s at all -- there have been tons in 9.6. I've owned two. One I just submitted came back 9.6.

To me, this is one of the easiest books to find with a white cover and in high grade.

These are two entirely different points. Which one are you making? The argument you make in support of the first point is irrelevant. Please clarify.

There's tons of 9.6's because this was part of multiple warehouse finds, and therefore there's been tons of copies submitted to CGC. That's why I won't pay a big premium on the 109-111 series, while they have gorgeous Steranko covers, they're simply very common in high grade (however, 111 is somewhat tough).

Brian

Thanks Brian,

That actually supports the point I was making. The fact that there are more available in very high grade, makes them tougher on anything that isn't in that realm.

I've got a beautiful 8.0 that was raped to a 6.0.

really nice book - i was thinking 8.5 until zeman pointed out the "tape pull" which i clearly overlooked. i'm thinking maybe around 6.5 now as that's a big piece of the cover with no printing on it. still a really white cover and a nice add to a collection thumbsup2.gif

Great catch.. 893applaud-thumb.gif on any other cover that would stik out like a sore thumb..

At least you didn't think it was a cosmic cloud! tongue.gif

I thought it was at first but then I reasoned that it wouldn't make sense to have a cosmic cloud on a newspaper foreheadslap.gif

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif