• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Logistics of moving a comic book store

15 posts in this topic

Came across this video of the Titan Comics store (from Texas) and its move to a new location.

Personally, I found it to be a fascinating look behind the scenes. I also found it pretty interesting that they seem to be using IKEA Expedits for their bookcases. The other comic book shelves are also pretty cool. Some just seem to be leaned against the wall.

http://titancomics.com/

We recently moved/consolodated one of our warehouses we had been in for 13 years. Monumental doesn't describe what Titan (or us) went through

Good thing they didnt break the sign. Also when they were loading the single short boxes, I literally thought to myself.....I bet they flip over then 2 mins later it did flip over. I never stack more than 2 boxes when traveling. Dunno why they didnt block that wall of boxes in before loading more. Maybe they did.

Thank you for the video. It made my morning. That store looks awesome! I liked how they chopped off the door of the file cabinets and fitted the shortboxes in those. If thats what they did. I wonder if they moved the cabinets further apart to allow traffic. Or they have tables you can take the box to look thru it?

Good thing they didnt break the sign. Also when they were loading the single short boxes, I literally thought to myself.....I bet they flip over then 2 mins later it did flip over. I never stack more than 2 boxes when traveling. Dunno why they didnt block that wall of boxes in before loading more. Maybe they did.

Thank you for the video. It made my morning. That store looks awesome! I liked how they chopped off the door of the file cabinets and fitted the shortboxes in those. If thats what they did. I wonder if they moved the cabinets further apart to allow traffic. Or they have tables you can take the box to look thru it?

They did seem to take the doors off lateral file cabinets. Pretty neat idea although it may not look as great from the front. The drawer slides out so I guess you could look at 3-5 short boxes at once. Hope they're rated for 100lbs per shelf when extended. hm

127815.jpg.99641fb5009ea5ac4ba9b4522249594f.jpg

I helped my mate move his LCS when he shut it down to go mail order from home.

The taking down and move took 3 days, we worked pretty much 24hours straight. Its amazing what you get done when you have a good group of people working as a team though.

Wouldn't want to do it again though! lol

I moved my second shop, The Millenium Parachute, about two blocks in 1987 or 1988. The new location was twice the size, had an already furnished office and a full basement for about 80% of the rent at the first location.

We started after closing on Saturday and as I was closed Monday anyway we thought we'd only miss one,possibly two days of business.

Thew move was a nightmare. Several high value items got damaged, one of my showcases was busted, the walls at the new location proved almost invunerable to screws and we had to redesign the new shop on the fly when it became apparent our original wall mountings were impossible.

It cost three times as much as I budgeted, and took a full week.

Given a chance, I'd have stayed at my first location.

I sold all my drek in the late 1990s, the buyer arrived at my house at 11.00am, I was still passing boxes out of the loft at 20.00pm.

I thought that I was going to have a heart attack, the next day I couldn't move at all I was in so much pain.

I stop by Titan every time I go through Dallas. The drawers come out easy and there's no chance of tipping or anything of that nature. The aisles are wide enough and Jeremy is a pretty tight grader and knows comics along with fair pricing. Highly recommended store. He keeps higher value comics in locked cabinets, so be sure to ask about any books that you're looking for.