• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Official Amazing Spider-man review thread (All reviews here )

220 posts in this topic

Gee, maybe I should downgrade my rating from 6 to a 5 ...

You are not alone, I was being pretty generous with my rating of 6 as well.

There is no reason why any Spider-Man movie can't be as good as Iron Man, TDK,

or the Avengers for that matter.

Anyone that says this movie is even close to those standards are just fooling themselves

in their fanboyhood.

Haven't noticed anyone suggesting it was better than those three you listed--there's a pretty big point spread to place the film between 5/6 and the quality of those three films.

I saw it yesterday with my son. Personally, I enjoyed it much more than the Avengers. This could be because I'm a bigger Spidey fan than Avengers. Everything looked great to me. I wasn't too excited about this reboot going in,( why couldn't we just get a fourth movie?) but I liked how they made it their own. Loved the effects though I wish we got more of them in the daytime with better lighting. Awesome Stan Lee cameo too! I can't wait for the next one. I hope this one does well at box office.

Not really sure all the arguing about whats better. Pretty sure everyone has their own opinion. I really enjoyed Avengers, but if I were to go see either Avengers/Amazing spidey....Id choose Spidey at the moment. Personally I saw tons saying Xmen first class was amazing. Well I thought it was extremley corney and everyone i went with was like WTF are we watching (with the exception of basically Magneto) but again its just my opinion.

I didn't like any of those films. :shy:

OK, that's a lie. I *kinda* enjoyed Iron Man and I haven't actually seen ASM yet. But I probably won't before it comes out on DVD anyway...

Amazingly (pun intended), even though I love superhero comics, I don't really like superhero flicks. (shrug)

Anyone that says this movie is even close to those standards are just fooling themselves

in their fanboyhood.

;)

Let Nolan do a Kraven's Last Hunt movie and then you can probably get a decent Spider-Man film. They tend to make Spider-Man very kid friendly compared to many other super hero films.

Just saw it and gotta say it ws pretty awsome and true to the comic as well. I also liked that they left out some characters to put in the sequel. Its now my favorite hero movie and I i'm gonna buy the dvd when it comes out.

I wasn't too excited about this reboot going in,( why couldn't we just get a fourth movie?) but I liked how they made it their own.

I felt that same way. The main thing is that the essence of Spider-Man was there and better than the Raimi films--he was more agile, stronger, funnier, and just exuded more of the traits that make Spidey likable than Raimi achieved, although to be fair, I'm sure Webb was highly inspired by Raimi's work and filled in some of the gaps left by Raimi.

I wasn't too excited about this reboot going in,( why couldn't we just get a fourth movie?) but I liked how they made it their own.

I felt that same way. The main thing is that the essence of Spider-Man was there and better than the Raimi films--he was more agile, stronger, funnier, and just exuded more of the traits that make Spidey likable than Raimi achieved, although to be fair, I'm sure Webb was highly inspired by Raimi's work and filled in some of the gaps left by Raimi.

I just saw pieces of Raimi 2 and most of Raimi 3 this afternoon on TV. For "funnier," definitely watch the Raimi films again. The Raimi trilogy is more like a mix of the "lighter" Spidey collectively encompassed by the Ditko period and Copper Age Spider-Man. The Webb Spidey reminds me more of the Bronze Age Spidey, which was a dark period -- cops always chasing him, death of Captain Stacy (first significant death in the Spidey mythos, and you could argue within the Copper Age -- 15-cent book if I recall correctly), MJ constantly rebuffing him, and generally overall bad luck. In that regard, Webb got it right.

On the down side, one of the keys to the Spidey mythos is the wanton murder of Uncle Ben and the guilt-trip Peter has for not stopping The Burglar when he clearly had a chance (AF15). Here, Peter wasn't that close to stop the Burglar, and The Burglar's shooting of Uncle Ben was almost in self-defense. Anyway, my point is that the scene doesn't generate much of a reader/audience reaction the way AF15 and Raimi #1 do.

The burglar's shot wasn't anywhere close to self-defense. Burglar drops gun...Ben sees this and decides to disarm him...they both get to the gun at the same time...burglar pulls trigger while struggling for the gun. Self-defense would involve Ben pointing the gun at the burglar, not Ben trying to take it so the burglar can't use it to hurt someone. I found the twist of Peter not finding the burglar to be a compelling one...if Peter finds and takes out his burglar the same night as Ben dies as he does in AF15 and Raimi's 2002 film, then the chances of him continuing to be a vigilante/crimefighter are much less, but in this film's version he starts to fight crime in an effort to find that original burglar, extending his motivation beyond the catharsis of finding him immediately.

I wrote "almost self-defense." And if I were The Webb Burglar's defense lawyer, I would most certainly argue self-defense (but I'm just a lawyer, what would I know). Again, it wasn't cold-blooded like AF15 (although we never saw how the Ditko Burglar murdered Uncle Ben in AF15 -- but we got a strong sense from the story-telling in the AF15 panels that it was cold-blooded, that the Ditko Burglar was a dastardly villain, and we see why Peter was in such a rage to hunt him down -- not knowing, of course, that the Ditko Burglar was Uncle Ben's killer).

Your observation on the Webb Burglar still on the loose and hence giving Peter motivation to keep fighting crime is an interesting one!

On the down side, one of the keys to the Spidey mythos is the wanton murder of Uncle Ben and the guilt-trip Peter has for not stopping The Burglar when he clearly had a chance (AF15). Here, Peter wasn't that close to stop the Burglar, and The Burglar's shooting of Uncle Ben was almost in self-defense. Anyway, my point is that the scene doesn't generate much of a reader/audience reaction the way AF15 and Raimi #1 do.

The burglar's shot wasn't anywhere close to self-defense. Burglar drops gun...Ben sees this and decides to disarm him...they both get to the gun at the same time...burglar pulls trigger while struggling for the gun. Self-defense would involve Ben pointing the gun at the burglar, not Ben trying to take it so the burglar can't use it to hurt someone. I found the twist of Peter not finding the burglar to be a compelling one...if Peter finds and takes out his burglar the same night as Ben dies as he does in AF15 and Raimi's 2002 film, then the chances of him continuing to be a vigilante/crimefighter are much less, but in this film's version he starts to fight crime in an effort to find that original burglar, extending his motivation beyond the catharsis of finding him immediately.

I wrote "almost self-defense." And if I were The Webb Burglar's defense lawyer, I would most certainly argue self-defense (but I'm just a lawyer, what would I know). Again, it wasn't cold-blooded like AF15 (although we never saw how the Ditko Burglar murdered Uncle Ben in AF15 -- but we got a strong sense from the story-telling in the AF15 panels that it was cold-blooded, that the Ditko Burglar was a dastardly villain, and we see why Peter was in such a rage to hunt him down -- not knowing, of course, that the Ditko Burglar was Uncle Ben's killer).

Your observation on the Webb Burglar still on the loose and hence giving Peter motivation to keep fighting crime is an interesting one!

Yea I agree, definitely not as cold-blooded. The fact that he didn't find the burglar I originally found unsatisfying towards the end of the film, but in retrospect, I think it's a superior version of Spidey's origin. If he never finds the burglar, he never achieves any closure or satisfaction for avenging Ben, which makes his motivation for continuing on as a crimefighter more believable. It's one thing to believe that "with great power comes great responsibility", but it's quite another thing to actually go out and constantly risk your life protecting other people--I suspect there's no good way to justify that for an indefinite period of time, actually, as eventually our anger/guilt/sense of honor would be overcome by our sense of self-preservation and it's something we just have to choose to suspend our disbelief on when trying to think of Peter as a believable character. :blush:

I had never looked into parkour until this film sort of inspired me to think of it...looks a lot more fun than gymnastics! Check out my sig line animation, the parkour the kid does in it looks fun as hell and reminds me of the feeling you get when watching Amazing Spider-Man's CGI or playing some of the cooler web-swinging Spider-Man video games.

I loved the film. Although I'm a big fan of Raimi's Spider-Man 2, I prefer this new take on the character and story. Better cast, better performances, and far better production values. I particularly like that it looked like there was a guy in a costume actually swinging around the city and not a computer generated character like we saw in the Raimi films.

I had never looked into parkour until this film sort of inspired me to think of it...looks a lot more fun than gymnastics! Check out my sig line animation, the parkour the kid does in it looks fun as hell and reminds me of the feeling you get when watching Amazing Spider-Man's CGI or playing some of the cooler web-swinging Spider-Man video games.

That kid in your sig video is nuts (assuming that is real and it looks real). One false move and you are done! It looks really fun though

Hey fantastic_four, your right, parkour was the first thing I was thinking as well. However, this might explain why our opinions of the movie differ. While you liked that "parkour feel" I didn't care for it. Seems like too much of a fad for me. But hey, to each his own.

And Anfield Fox, the Spider-man costume looked good. All the effects in the movie are great!

Hey fantastic_four, your right, parkour was the first thing I was thinking as well. However, this might explain why our opinions of the movie differ. While you liked that "parkour feel" I didn't care for it. Seems like too much of a fad for me. But hey, to each his own.

That's the design and appeal of Spider-Man's powers, though--not sure how you can not like acrobatics and still like Spidey! :blush:

That's the design and appeal of Spider-Man's powers, though--not sure how you can not like acrobatics and still like Spidey! :blush:

I guess I am just old school. prefer Spider-man swinging.

Wait, what ... :D

That kid in your sig video is nuts (assuming that is real and it looks real). One false move and you are done! It looks really fun though

That seems to be the thing--doing it safely. That seems to be the entire thrust of the it as described here: http://www.americanparkour.com/

I loved the film. Although I'm a big fan of Raimi's Spider-Man 2, I prefer this new take on the character and story. Better cast, better performances, and far better production values. I particularly like that it looked like there was a guy in a costume actually swinging around the city and not a computer generated character like we saw in the Raimi films.

Yes! The Webb Spidey went to great lengths to use stunt-men and reduce reliance on computer-animated effects -- hats off to Webb for getting that right. I am a fan of "real life"-type action in films and have a disdain for the cartoonish action films of the 21st Century. Miss Lane dangling from the helicopter screaming "HELP! HELP!" looked real in 1978 and looks real in 2012!

in their fanboyhood.

Haven't noticed anyone suggesting it was better than those three you listed--there's a pretty big point spread to place the film between 5/6 and the quality of those three films.

"as good as" doesn't mean "better"...

:P

To everyone here who has said this film is better than the first two Spidey films, please note that I will be using your movie recommendations as a contrarian indicator going forward. Thanks. (thumbs u

To everyone here who has said this film is better than the first two Spidey films, please note that I will be using your movie recommendations as a contrarian indicator going forward. Thanks. (thumbs u

Cool, go see Avengers and Prometheus...they're both like the best movies evar made (thumbs u