• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Official Amazing Spider-man review thread (All reviews here )

220 posts in this topic

My friend who isnt much of a comic fan but has seen all the comic movies is at it right now with his son.

he just texted me this: " First hour = 1 star!"

Not very promising :(

Just got back. I didnt have the highest hopes going in, but i really really liked it. It was waaay better than the other 3 by Raimi. The Lizard looked awesome just like in the early comics. Glad he looked like that than like in the newer ones (mini godzilla) or like just a big lizard. I liked the human looking face. I thought the movie was well done. My GF was getting antsy at the end (she doesnt like this stuff) so i didnt get to see any ending credit feature. If anybody did see it and wouldnt mind PMing me about who/what it was Id greatly appreciate it

Just back from seeing with my kids. My two boys 11 and 12 both thought way better than the Tobey Maguire series as did I. My little girl age 6 sat through it without going to the toilet which a record for her.

For me captured the essence of Spider-Man which made him so different from other comic heroes - his teenage back story was the thing that hooked me reading the comics and gave the action believable context. I thought Andrew Garfield looked more like Peter Parker and played it really well. From trailers thought lizard might not look good but pleasantly surprised.

We all can't wait to see again. Any ideas re credits teaser?

I read your review, Lauren (Girls w/ Comics) and pretty much agree with you. Yours is the first and only review I've seen that did not mention the Raimi movies, something others have said would be impossible, so hats off to Lauren!

I saw THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN at an early matinee today and must disclose that I grew up on Spidey comics and was disappointed in the first 3 big-budget Hollywood flicks. In 1978, nobody (including a 15-year-old yours-truly) knew who Christopher Reeve was; that was Superman on the big screen! In 2000, nobody had ever heard of Hugh Jackman; that was Wolverine! In 2002, hey, there's Tobey Maguire again. He was in THE ICE STORM and PLEASANTVILLE and THE CIDER HOUSE RULES.. et.al. ..isn't he a little old to play Peter Parker? But, it was finally Spider-Man on the big screen! However I couldn't help feeling then and now that it could and should have been better.. Granted, #2 w/ Doc Oc was pretty darn good and easily the best of the three; I like it despite the inherent flaws. So many reviewers and commentators seem to be tunnel-visioned w/ those movies.

The little things that bugged you, Lauren about the new film (Conners' arm, POV shots), I actually liked! Other things I dug: An actor that looks like Peter Parker! James Horner's score (was terribly disappointed by Danny Elfman's generic music for the Raimi movies) visual shout-out scene of ASM #6's cover, the lack of heavy-handed poverty pathos (P.P. is poor and needs to make ends meet, let's spend a half-hour of screen time on that !) that bogged down the Raimi flicks, excellent CGI, the Lizard talks!, Flash's brief character arc that is true to the comics, and much more that I'll think of after I hit "Submit".. Stuff I can criticize: a few plot holes (that hopefully will be filled when the inevitable extended director's cut appears), the title character running around sans mask for too much screen time (friggin' Hollywood!!! :mad:) and the post-primary credits bonus scene. Who was the shadowy guy supposed to be? Again, I grew up on silver/bronze/copper Spider-Man; Marvel lost me in the mid-'90's. I realize that this character could be from some Ultimate alternate Earth-2 story-line that I'm blissfully ignorant of... :cloud9:

..and there's no 2nd bonus scene post-credits a'la THE AVENGERS ..so I just saved countless fans 4 minutes each of their lives!

You're welcome. :acclaim:

**** out of *****

My friend who isnt much of a comic fan but has seen all the comic movies is at it right now with his son.

he just texted me this: " First hour = 1 star!"

Not very promising :(

Just back from it. As a long long time fan of the webslinger, I was mostly disappointed. I saw the 3D version and if you want your moneys worth don't buy into this 3D hype not much used and what was shows up at the END of the movie. It dragged at times, most of the story line appeared to be from the Ultimate Line. Uncle Ben as a driving force was way down played (regardless of the VM). I think Andrew Garfield was a very poor choice and seemed to me that he still had some of the "Social Network" character, Emma Stone I really believed she was Gwen Stacy :). The Lizard was also perfect.

Bottom line this move IMHO ranked just under SM 3 but well over the Daredevil/Hulk movies. It really did not hit the mark like the Avengers movie (personally they need to hire a Comic Book man to work on the screen play that is what really made the Avengers story line click (Roy Thomas would have done a great job here)

I'm really sorry to say I can only give it 2 1/2 stars but hope that the next movie picks up the pace, plus I really wished this movie was just a continuation of sorts or a forget about the origin story because it's already been told like most of the Batman/Superman movies.

Last item I have no idea who Dr. Conners was talking to after the credits but I'm someone will spill the beans. If they follow the comic story line it might be the Chameleon since it can't be the Red Skull (owed by Disney)

I just saw it. It was better than I had expected, but way to similar to the 2002 version. I really enjoyed the new cast. (actually I prefer it to the old cast.) As a whole 2012 ASM > 2002 SM. I'm looking forward to sequels.

I give it a F/VF (7.0)

I'm glad to see it getting good reviews.

I'll still wait until they decided to make a NEW Spider-Man movie. Sounds like I've already seen this one.

Hopefully Hollywood will get me more interested when they remake Smokey and the Bandit or the Harry Potter movies.

To repeat something I said months ago when I saw the first trailers, and was confirmed in my watching:

This feels like a new movie, not a reboot.

New villain, new plot, new love interest.

To repeat something I said months ago when I saw the first trailers, and was confirmed in my watching:

+1 This movie was 100% new and not a reboot IMHO. I actually enjoyed it more than Avengers, but mostly because I like spidey better. Spderman 2 is on TV right now, and having not seen it in a while its so cheesy and drawn out through most scenes

I read your review, Lauren (Girls w/ Comics) and pretty much agree with you. Yours is the first and only review I've seen that did not mention the Raimi movies, something others have said would be impossible, so hats off to Lauren!

I think it's unfair to compare the two. It's a new movie alltogether. Both have their pros and cons.

+1 This movie was 100% new and not a reboot IMHO. I actually enjoyed it more than Avengers, but mostly because I like spidey better. Spderman 2 is on TV right now, and having not seen it in a while its so cheesy and drawn out through most scenes

:eyeroll:

Wow. Here we go.

I liked it better than the first three Spider-Man movies.

Didn't think that would happen.

Went in hoping it would be good. Turns out it was great.

^^