• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Official Amazing Spider-man review thread (All reviews here )

220 posts in this topic

Personally I liked the movie, and it had its moments but the most interesting thing is the topic of debate it started with my family on the ride home that lasted half an hour.

My 16 year old, who is a film student and can see movies and art in ways I could never understand or comprehend abhorred the movie. Spidey is his favourite superhero and was raised on the character, and he's right there are a lot of holes that never were filled in or abandoned. Like why did Pete stop looking for the "burglar" and when did Flash and Pete become best friends. Anyways this is a review by a 16 year old arts major/film student that he couldn't wait to get home and post on Facebook

"It was ridiculously awful. There was no character development at all, the CGI looked awful, the acting was horrendous, the story made no sense whatsoever, the characters were total Mary Sues, none of the characters had anything to do. The Lizard had no motive at all as a villain....It was just an all around AWFUL movie. None of it made sense at all. I sympathized for none of the characters, because they are all awful. The whole thing with Flash Thompson didn't make sense. At the start of the movie Flash was like,"LOL PETER U R A LOSER" yet he's Andrew Garfield, so we all know he's not a loser. Then when Uncle Ben dies, Flash gives Peter a hug. Then at the end of the movie Flash is like,"YEAH PARKER U R LOOKING SO GOOD BUDDY!!!!" like what?! Did Flash come out of the closet or something? There was no love story between Peter and Gwen either. Gwen's like,"Yeah we should hangout." and then outta nowhere she's like,"OH YEAH SO LIKE COME TO MY HOUSE TONIGHT AT 8 TO MEET MY FAMILY." Like really? You've known the guy for like 2 days, spoke maybe a sentence to him..What the hell is this? Taking him to meet the family already? Then they go out and start making out? WHEN DID THIS HAPPEN? WHY ARE YOU MAKING OUT? YOU HARDLY KNOW EACH OTHER!! Then suddenly Peter acts like Gwen's his girlfriend and visits her at her bedroom window (which is really creepy). Also there's no reasoning as to why Spidey wears his outfit in this movie. None at all. In the original story, it made sense. The story had Peter wanting to get money (while using his new abilities) to impress ladies by wrestling (which he needs a costume for) and then there's a robber that steals the money, who eventually shoots Uncle Ben which causes Peter to kill the thief and then he realizes that he needs to protect New York from people like that. That makes sense. Peter doesn't want anyone else to go through what he went through. He made a mistake. He is a flawed character..But in this reboot Peter's on the internet and says (and I quote) "Everything's spandex!" and then in the next scene, he has his outfit. I don't understand anything that happened in that movie. None of it makes sense at all. The entire movie is just awful and no one should have to be put through the torture of watching it..EVER."

Personally I liked the movie, and it had its moments but the most interesting thing is the topic of debate it started with my family on the ride home that lasted half an hour.

My 16 year old, who is a film student and can see movies and art in ways I could never understand or comprehend abhorred the movie. Spidey is his favourite superhero and was raised on the character, and he's right there are a lot of holes that never were filled in or abandoned. Like why did Pete stop looking for the "burglar" and when did Flash and Pete become best friends. Anyways this is a review by a 16 year old arts major/film student that he couldn't wait to get home and post on Facebook

"It was ridiculously awful. There was no character development at all, the CGI looked awful, the acting was horrendous, the story made no sense whatsoever, the characters were total Mary Sues, none of the characters had anything to do. The Lizard had no motive at all as a villain....It was just an all around AWFUL movie. None of it made sense at all. I sympathized for none of the characters, because they are all awful. The whole thing with Flash Thompson didn't make sense. At the start of the movie Flash was like,"LOL PETER U R A LOSER" yet he's Andrew Garfield, so we all know he's not a loser. Then when Uncle Ben dies, Flash gives Peter a hug. Then at the end of the movie Flash is like,"YEAH PARKER U R LOOKING SO GOOD BUDDY!!!!" like what?! Did Flash come out of the closet or something? There was no love story between Peter and Gwen either. Gwen's like,"Yeah we should hangout." and then outta nowhere she's like,"OH YEAH SO LIKE COME TO MY HOUSE TONIGHT AT 8 TO MEET MY FAMILY." Like really? You've known the guy for like 2 days, spoke maybe a sentence to him..What the hell is this? Taking him to meet the family already? Then they go out and start making out? WHEN DID THIS HAPPEN? WHY ARE YOU MAKING OUT? YOU HARDLY KNOW EACH OTHER!! Then suddenly Peter acts like Gwen's his girlfriend and visits her at her bedroom window (which is really creepy). Also there's no reasoning as to why Spidey wears his outfit in this movie. None at all. In the original story, it made sense. The story had Peter wanting to get money (while using his new abilities) to impress ladies by wrestling (which he needs a costume for) and then there's a robber that steals the money, who eventually shoots Uncle Ben which causes Peter to kill the thief and then he realizes that he needs to protect New York from people like that. That makes sense. Peter doesn't want anyone else to go through what he went through. He made a mistake. He is a flawed character..But in this reboot Peter's on the internet and says (and I quote) "Everything's spandex!" and then in the next scene, he has his outfit. I don't understand anything that happened in that movie. None of it makes sense at all. The entire movie is just awful and no one should have to be put through the torture of watching it..EVER."

Are you sure he is your biological son? (shrug)

:foryou:

:boo:

The unfortunate side effect of ambition and critical thinking is that while you're learning it--or if you've got a fragile ego (won't name any names of boardies here :whistle:)--you tend to focus on weaknesses and sometimes (or always) ignore strengths of people or ideas or in this example, a film. I was kind of like that at his age, but I grew out of it. It'll serve his ambition well though as long as his hypercritical eye lasts--I'd definitely see it as a great thing if I were you. (thumbs u

In which version of Spidey's origin did Peter kill the robber who killed Ben?

I guess he's thinking the Raimi version... :sorry:

Jim

Did he kill him, or did the burglar fall on his own and Peter just did nothing to save him? I thought he fell on his own trying to flee from Peter, but I can't remember.

The unfortunate side effect of ambition and critical thinking is that while you're learning it--or if you've got a fragile ego (won't name any names of boardies here :whistle:)--you tend to focus on weaknesses and sometimes (or always) ignore strengths of people or ideas or in this example, a film. I was kind of like that at his age, but I grew out of it. It'll serve his ambition well though as long as his hypercritical eye lasts--I'd definitely see it as a great thing if I were you. (thumbs u

I agree and was the same way. The negative things are easiest to spot but as you mature your view becomes a little more balanced.

Well put.

Jim's son is a sharp cookie.

(thumbs u

Makes more sense than anything else in this thread. (worship)

Wow that is quite a critique form a young person, However I think he is missing a few key points, its a popcorn action flick its not going to be up for an Oscar or any other award. Without being 4 hours long how can you develop charters. The lizards motivation as a villain is his own handicap missing an arm, when he tries to fix his issue he gets turned into a monster. In the comics Flash is a jerk but eventually he becomes Spider mans biggest fan, but still a bully towards Peter.

Its a comic book movie I think they did the best they could with it and set it up well for more movies

Wow that is quite a critique form a young person, However I think he is missing a few key points, its a popcorn action flick its not going to be up for an Oscar or any other award. Without being 4 hours long how can you develop charters. The lizards motivation as a villain is his own handicap missing an arm, when he tries to fix his issue he gets turned into a monster. In the comics Flash is a jerk but eventually he becomes Spider mans biggest fan, but still a bully towards Peter.

Its a comic book movie I think they did the best they could with it and set it up well for more movies

Those are not valid excuses. Marvel has blown the doors off with the likes of X-Men: First Class, Captain America and The Avengers recently - all popcorn action flicks but very good films regardless. We have, quite rightly, come to expect better. I think Jim's son does a great job of pointing out the many, many problems with the film. Upon further reflection, I think my initial B- rating may have been overly charitable.

Here are some points from various critics which I feel are very valid (yes, I know there are plenty of critics who somehow enjoyed the film - though, most of the positive reviews are far from gushingly positive - but I think the below critics are addressing some very MAJOR flaws with the film that can't just be glossed over):

"It’s not that The Amazing Spider-Man is “unnecessary,” it’s that it sucks – a pale, hollow imitation of a transcendent superhero trilogy. Marc Webb’s 3-D remake plays like someone took those films and surgically removed the core of emotion and meaning that Sam Raimi and his screenwriters slaved to put behind every character, every relationship, every edit and line of dialogue. What’s left is a sulky superhero with daddy issues, who kicks off a dalliance with a brainy classmate because why the hell not, and who briefly becomes a vigilante crimefighter because of his anger at being abandoned by his parents a decade previous."

"The unfortunate irony is that any number of films on Marvel’s slate from the last year are more deserving of the descriptor “amazing” than Marc Webb‘s The Amazing Spider-Man. That’s not to say the film is a total disaster, but in the company’s current climate of quality, passable is not acceptable."

"What kills me about this is that Marc Webb’s only other feature film is (500) Days of Summer. The lingering doubt when he was selected to helm this project was that he was a rom-com director with no concept of orchestrating action sequences. In other words, the romance between Parker and Stacy would be the only strong aspect of the movie. But Gwen never seems to genuinely have feelings for Peter, she only seems interested in him at his most vulnerable and damaged. They never develop any perceivable chemistry and seem to rely on the fact that their ending up together is a forgone conclusion instead of earning it with well-crafted character moments."

"Emma Stone is all short skirts and boots and big eyes, playing a different character -- Gwen Stacy, the cops' daughter classmate Peter pines for. But there's nothing like the lifelong love Peter held for Mary Jane in the original films. There's no romance to this. And since the jokes don't land and the pathos and sentiment are missing, the whole film feels cold, rigid, corporate."

"Director Marc Webb ("500 Days of Summer") makes this a film of emotive close-ups, with nobody emoting. He has no feel at all for the material. Zip. He and Adam Shankman ("Rock of Ages") could have swapped movies and been none the worse for it."

"There are situations, I guess, where a “franchise reboot” could feel like something other than a naked grab for dollars...But to try to sell us another matched set of Spider-Man films only a decade after Sam Raimi’s well-regarded and commercially successful Spider-Man, and only five years since that series ended with the disappointing Spider-Man 3? It’s hard not to smell planned obsolescence, even before you’ve read the depressing business backstory about how Sony needed to make a Spider-Man movie, any Spider-Man movie, to keep the rights to the character from reverting to Disney/Marvel. With a burning lack of vision, Sony has chosen to re-cast and re-tell, essentially, the same story we all just heard in 2002."

Jim

Did he kill him, or did the burglar fall on his own and Peter just did nothing to save him? I thought he fell on his own trying to flee from Peter, but I can't remember.

This is kind of the danger of these movies playing fast and loose with the source material. You get an entire generation thinking that Spider-Man killed the burgler and thinking it was always this way. Marvel, being the h'wood whores they have become are all too happy to make the comics conform to the movies. I find the whole process very sad as a fan of the character.

Big deal for every critic who hated it you can find just as many who loved it. In the end its a movie based on a comic book written for children. It is what it is an in my opinion which is the only one that matters to me it was a great flick

I just got back from seeing it and I enjoyed the hell out of it.

Some of the "holes" people are describing, I filled in for myself.

Hole: Why did Peter stop trying to find the robber?

Conclusion I came to: Because he realized that it wasn't important in the grand scheme of things. As Capt. Stacy put it, "He isn't protecting the citizens. He is attacking these men who all look the same to satisfy some type of agenda." Not sure if that was the exact quote, but that's what I took from it. He decided to be a hero instead of searching for something he may never find.

Hole: Lizard has no motivation.

Conclusion I came to: From Conners' interaction with that one dude, I took that Osborn had Richard Parker and his wife killed. I even thought that he might have had something to do with Connors losing an arm. He has spent all this time developing this project with nothing but failures as results. That's enough for me to believe that someone would go insane and think the whole world needed "fixing."

Also, I totally bought that Peter and Gwen's relationship would move that quickly. That's what teenagers do. I teach them. I have seen two kids start dating in the morning and get caught having sex in the bathroom later that day. Hormones, if bottled, could be used as weapons. Believable to me.

I didn't have a problem with the crane operators. I think it was kind of cool. Spidey saved his son, so he wanted to help Spidey. What is wrong with that? Yeah, it's a little cheesy, but so are people sometimes

Overall, I found the performances to be great. I even liked Martin Sheen in the film. And I hate Martin Sheen. I think it sets up the next few films nicely.

Jim

This is kind of the danger of these movies playing fast and loose with the source material. You get an entire generation thinking that Spider-Man killed the burgler and thinking it was always this way. Marvel, being the h'wood whores they have become are all too happy to make the comics conform to the movies. I find the whole process very sad as a fan of the character.

Except that I don't think he killed him. :ohnoez:

He stopped looking for the robber so they could milk that angle for the next film.

The Lizard had no motivation other than they had to at least attempt to make the film somewhat different from the 2002 original, so they came up with the Parker parents' backstory (another dangling thread to be milked in a future sequel) to lead to Connors. No other reason.

No one is surprised that teenage relationships move quickly, but to show it as such totally robs the viewer of any build-up. It happened quickly, like a foregone conclusion, and without any discernible reason or chemistry. I think Jim's son's review called that one out just right. Remember, in the comics, Peter initially ignores Gwen, that gets her interested, there's all this tension because she's friends with Harry (and Flash) and Peter is not...MJ arrives on the scene soon after and it's there's all this will-they, won't-they get together expectation.

I didn't hate the crane operators idea (though it was way hokey). That said, to think they were doing this in the midst of a citywide evacuation requires too much suspension of disbelief. Also, the CGI was a total let-down - aside from showing all these cars clogging up the road, there was virtually no sound or showing of panicking people and the chaos of trying to flee the city. Same with the Lizard on the bridge - a few people run by and then it's all pretty quiet for Spidey to do his thing. It all just felt very low budget at times, like Sony just said "let's get this thing made before the rights revert back".

I didn't think the performances were any great shakes. I think Garfield missed the mark with all his nervous, twitchy energy. Like one critic said, he looked like he had Aspberger's syndrome. It's ironic that he played Eduardo Saverin in The Social Network and he played Mark Zuckerberg in ASM, right down to the hoodie and Aspberger's (rumored/speculated).

I thought Martin Sheen was fine as Uncle Ben...but so was Cliff Robertson in the Raimi version. I wasn't that keen on Rosemary Harris as Aunt May in the original, but, surely, surely she was a better choice than Sally Field.

Marc Webb clearly had zero feel for the source material. I'm really shocked that so many of you here are giving him a free pass, especially with how good the other recent Marvel movies have been. I can only conclude that you guys find Garfield irresistibly dreamy. :facepalm:

He stopped looking for the robber so they could milk that angle for the next film.

Such pessimism! How would anyone find one guy in a city of 8 million? Better writing would be that not finding the guy means he never experiences the catharsis of avenging his uncle, thereby filling him with more unresolved anger to motivate his crime-fighting than was the case in Stan's version where he caught the burglar the same night Ben was killed.

I saw it again today in 3D at one of those new luxury cinemas that has the lounge chairs with your own private waitress. Plus she was hot! :cloud9:

Here is why I like this one better than Spider-man 1 and 2:

1. I like that Aunt May is younger and barely in the movie. Who wants to see Aunt May a lot anyway? That is one thing I never understood about the regular series is why is Aunt May so old? She is like 80 with a teenage nephew...huh????

2. Amazing Spider-man is very much on par with the Ultimate Spider-man comic book as I am sure most of us figured that is how Marvel wanted it. It took me back to Bendis/Bagley's first couple issues actually so that was pretty cool.

3. While I thought Tobey's Spider-man performance was okay, I really believe Garfield hit today's version of Peter Parker much better. I felt he was more cocky when he first got his powers and over confident just as the original comic book suggested. Plus for me he is more that EMO Peter Parker high school kid on the screen than Tobery did.

4. Gwen Stacey is hotter than MJ, and I think Emma Stone did a good job. Dunst while an okay actress never quite sold me a MJ what so ever.

5. The Spider-man classic CGI poses were more flamboyantly classic in this film than the other 3 combined. The flow of Spider-man was much more spider like and athletic than Raimi's films.

6. I see people's complaint about the burglar not being caught and not having the wrestling ring money scene (they did pay homage to that though which I liked). However, I thing Sony/Marvel felt they did that way already so they wanted to just spin it off in a slightly new direction.

7. THANK GOD THE WEB SHOOTERS ARE BACK!

All in all the acting was good enough for me. I am more excited for part 2 when they introduce a better Green Goblin. I mean come on I love Spider-man 1, but that Green Goblin outfit was a disgrace. :facepalm:

I expect part 2 to deal with the Green Goblin and having Gwen die on the bridge. Part 3 set-ups the Venom story line with the back story being Peter's fathers experiment that helped create the black venom as it went down in the Ultimate Spider-man comic book.

I know some of you guys were so so on the movie, but I have this up there with Spider-man 1 and 2. However, you also talking to the guy who thought X-men: First Class is kinda boring. (shrug) Besides Mags and Xavier all the C level mutants were just terrible watching on screen.