• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Heritage / Pedigree Schmell Collection Auction has ended...

508 posts in this topic

The comics are amazing. I drool just thinking of owning the TOS run alone.

I'd like to keep this discussion related to the books and not about all the other negative stuff we see in CG. :wishluck:

I am going to enjoy watching this auction and how all the books end up.

Here is the main link for all the books

http://comics.ha.com/common/search_results.php?N=52+793+794+791+1893+792+2088+4294952293&type=comics7063-temaa070312

A few notable mentions

Avengers 1 9.6 Pacific Coast :cloud9:

Tales of Suspense 39 9.6 Pacific Coast (worship)

Fantastic Four 1 9.2 White Mountain :headbang:

Enjoy the next 20 days....

The comics are amazing. I drool just thinking of owning the TOS run alone.

I'd like to keep this discussion related to the books and not about all the other negative stuff we see in CG. :wishluck:

I am going to enjoy watching this auction and how all the books end up.

Here is the main link for all the books

http://comics.ha.com/common/search_results.php?N=52+793+794+791+1893+792+2088+4294952293&type=comics7063-temaa070312

A few notable mentions

Avengers 1 9.6 Pacific Coast :cloud9:

Tales of Suspense 39 9.6 Pacific Coast (worship)

Fantastic Four 1 9.2 White Mountain :headbang:

Enjoy the next 20 days....

X-Men #1 9.8 :cloud9:

What's really amazing is the depth of the SA keys in the auction, beyond just Doug's books. There must be 5 or 6 copies each of X-Men 1 and TOS 39.

The way the books are presented online is bizarre though. First there are most of Doug's high grade books, then some apparently random lower grade SA books, then later on more copies of lower grade SA books, and again another batch of SA books. I think Heritage would've been much better off presenting Doug's books together, and then presenting the other SA Marvels in sequence, so all of copies of any particular issue are all presented together (e.g., all of the X-Men 1s), so that bidders looking for something alternatives to Doug's expensive books will easily see the full panoply of any particular issue all in one place. Just my 2c

I don't know how that works with the live auction. The auction is accepting bids now, and I saw that a reserve may be added by July 16 on some books. I'm just not sure how the live auction portion works. hm

Yes, I see they are all in the live auction. The internet bidding ends the day before, and the high bidder is the start of the live auction.

It's tough to bid in the live auction if you are not watching the text on the screen carefully. The audio and video are not real time, they are delayed like a normal TV show. The text is accurate, so don't let an item end in the text while you are responding to the video feed.

You have to place bids based on the text, which is very brief/limited. The text only displays short few word lines, like each bid amount, or "final call" etc. You will get used to it, but you have to be paying close attention to the text.

I prefer to place any proxy bids before the auction starts, then the live part is just entertainment, and to see how people did.

I don't know how that works with the live auction. The auction is accepting bids now, and I saw that a reserve may be added by July 16 on some books. I'm just not sure how the live auction portion works. hm

The live auction can be attended in person or on-line. The live auction moves very quickly with the auctioneer asking whether anybody wants to bid over the internet proxy bid, which can increase one increment at a time. However, you really have to pay attention. If the lot that you are interested in is near the end, you may have to wait a long time. You may be on the computer for hours, but you can surf the cgc boards at the same time. Good Luck!

Is anybody here gonna bid on any of the books because those premuims are what usually stops me.

I plan on trying to get some of the later issues of TOS and JIM. If the prices are insane...i'll bow out quickly. But, there may be some bargains and if so I will do my best to get a few.

I looked at most of the Schmeel high res scans and i thought that most were overgraded by .2-.4 pts. maybe just me? anyone else feel the same way?

thanks

brian

Are you referring to books graded during the early period when rumors were that Doug received special attention? :whistle:

ehhh, I don't buy that. One thing is for sure though with Doug playing the pressing and resubmitting game so much, everything will be 'potentialized' and then some, and that's likely what you're seeing.

I looked at most of the Schmeel high res scans and i thought that most were overgraded by .2-.4 pts. maybe just me? anyone else feel the same way?

I do. Which makes me wonder why anyone would be paying the anticipated "insane" prices.

(shrug)

I do. Which makes me wonder why anyone would be paying the anticipated "insane" prices.

(shrug)

Heritage scans are certainly large enough to notice the more optimistically graded books.

What's really amazing is the depth of the SA keys in the auction, beyond just Doug's books. There must be 5 or 6 copies each of X-Men 1 and TOS 39.

The way the books are presented online is bizarre though. First there are most of Doug's high grade books, then some apparently random lower grade SA books, then later on more copies of lower grade SA books, and again another batch of SA books. I think Heritage would've been much better off presenting Doug's books together, and then presenting the other SA Marvels in sequence, so all of copies of any particular issue are all presented together (e.g., all of the X-Men 1s), so that bidders looking for something alternatives to Doug's expensive books will easily see the full panoply of any particular issue all in one place. Just my 2c

+1,000,000! :frustrated:

I dont know why the hell they have them set up the way they do, makes no sense to me! i cant even find a couple of Dougs books i want to bid on even though i know they are in there somewhere ???