• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Heritage / Pedigree Schmell Collection Auction has ended...

508 posts in this topic

Seriously, this auction reinforces how boring it must be to collect SA Marvels. Want to put together what would be the best or 2nd best runs of Avengers, JIM/Thor, TOS, TTA, Strange Tales, X-Men and Daredevil? Just write a big check in 3 weeks. That's literally all it takes.

Networking, hustling, detective work? Bah, that's for the little people! Just put in the bids from the air-conditioned comfort of your home, withdraw some money from the trust fund, and voila! Mission accomplished!

Many problems with your simple hypothesis, but here's the main one...

In an auction Marvel collectors have to battle and outbid thousands of other Marvel collectors (and that only includes those bidding), while DC collectors usually get lucky because the other guy who might be bidding is off doing something else.

lol

also if you're really so rich that you can buy literally every marvel key off the auction at one time, you probably don't have the toughest time finding and buying all the DC keys also (or paying someone to do it). Money makes a lot of things boring, but makes a whole bunch of other things more fun.

good luck buying a showcase #22 in 9.4

lol - or a 9.2!!

Marvel collectors have their hurdles as well.

Marvels seem to suffer from a variety of production issues that don't seem to plague DC to the same degree so some find challenges by manouvering around those sorts of things.

But the point is that Doug has solved all those problems already and presented this ready-made "best collection in a bottle" for any wealthy individual to immediately jump to the top of the rankings.

I would argue that such a ready-made "best collection" doesn't exist for SA DCs. Even when I put my Flash collection on Heritage, the holes dwarfed the very nice runs that were contained in the collection.

Here's another take on Tim's comment about how boring it is to collect HG SA Marvels:

In one way, he's right. If you have enough money, you can find CGC-graded 9.4 and up copies of most anything in a given year, or even multiple copies. But as many others have already stated, 99% of us don't have anywhere near that kind of money. Therefore, we must engage in the detective work, strategy, and other great machinations that true collectors usually endure.

Here's one example -- I just picked up an FF #12 in 9.4, a book I could never just write a check for. I'm an English teacher with a comic budget that maybe reaches $10k a year. But over the years, I've bought high-quality stuff, all FF related.

So when I got word that a guy I know had an FF #12 in his safety-deposit box and was planning to move it someday, I jumped in with everything I had at what I thought would be just the right moment. 33 graded comics (only 4 were SA books, the rest late Silver and Bronze) and three major pieces of OA later, the book was in my hands.

Now, of course, I have a lot of money tied up in a single book, which is not usually my preference given that I'm trying to build an FF run book by book. But down the road I can perhaps pick up a lower-grade FF #12 (9.0?) and move the 9.4 to the right buyer for cash (and more cash than I paid in trade)...which will require even MORE patience, detective work, connections, and luck.

That's the fun of collecting for me...I can't buy a superb run of HG SA Marvels, especially since I have strict requirements for page quality, color, centering, and the like. But I can get a small sample of superb SA Marvels on a budget -- just the kind of challenge I love.

Dan

Valid points, Dan, but you guys are all missing my main point.

What I'm saying is that if I'm a very wealthy individual, then in 3 weeks I can write a check for $5 million, or $10 million, and have near-complete ultra-HG runs of several major SA Marvel titles, and immediately vault to the top (or at least 2nd) of the Marvel collector ranks. The point is that they exist and are available for sale, so it's just a case of writing a big enough check (I understand that not everyone can write such a check, but it is available for those who can write such a check).

In contrast, I could offer to write a $20 million or $30 million or $100 million check for comparable SA DC runs and it will do no good because such complete ultra-HG runs don't exist. Well, maybe with a $100 million check I could "convince" CGC to magically certify a Showcase 8, 13, 14 and 22 and B&b 29 & 30 as 9.4s, but right now those books simply don't exist in those grades, so all the money in the world won't do me any good.

That's all I'm saying.

basically you're saying older books are more rare, and also harder to find in high grade, mostly due to their age. And for you, the rarity makes it more fun for you collect, and makes those books more valuable.

ok thats pretty hard to disagree with.

. but if you give me a list of 300 dc comics (no repeats) and $100M, I will have all of those comics graded 9.4 and above on your desk in 1 month or less.

True

I don't follow DC whatsoever so I don't pretend to know. I do know they are much more rare but if someone was going to throw around THAT kind of scratch, do they really not exist anywhere? I always just assumed there are at least a couple copies of those books you listed squirreled away in someone's collection (shrug)

Is there really not a known raw 9.4+ copy of any of those anywhere?

Seriously, this auction reinforces how boring it must be to collect SA Marvels. Want to put together what would be the best or 2nd best runs of Avengers, JIM/Thor, TOS, TTA, Strange Tales, X-Men and Daredevil? Just write a big check in 3 weeks. That's literally all it takes.

Networking, hustling, detective work? Bah, that's for the little people! Just put in the bids from the air-conditioned comfort of your home, withdraw some money from the trust fund, and voila! Mission accomplished!

(tsk)

For 99% of us, your scenario isn't possible and collecting SA Marvels isn't boring at all. Would be rough to be part of the 1%, and be bored with our SA Marvel collections and have to turn to the Distinguished Competition to get our collecting rocks off.

As for Doug, it took him over 15 years to amass these runs (please reserve comments about the 'how' for that other thread in CG), so it didn't go quite the way of your scenario there either.

Schmell purchased the Pacific Coast Pedigree run of Tales of Suspense in 2005 from Mark Arrand for just over $155K. The run consisted of issues #40 – #70. Arrand was the first owner of the 37-copy run, which he acquired just after the collection first came to market in late 1999.

The year before, in October 2004, Schmell purchased a 53 issue run of Pacific Coast copies of Tales To Astonish from Arrand for over $60K.

I've tracked these two runs extensively and the history of graded certification is most interesting. (thumbs u

basically you're saying older books are more rare, and also harder to find in high grade, mostly due to their age. And for you, the rarity makes it more fun for you collect, and makes those books more valuable.

ok thats pretty hard to disagree with.

. but if you give me a list of 300 dc comics (no repeats) and $100M, I will have all of those comics graded 9.4 and above on your desk in 1 month or less.

If you have the top DC titles in 9.4 in your private collection, you will already be wealthy beyond what most of us can only dream.

These type of people are interested in unique items and not another 10 million in the bank, I am not sure that you could do this even with $100m.

I love comics as much as the next guy but if I won the lottery and had 100m I would be to busy on my boat full of women to worry about my registry set. (thumbs u

Here's another take on Tim's comment about how boring it is to collect HG SA Marvels:

In one way, he's right. If you have enough money, you can find CGC-graded 9.4 and up copies of most anything in a given year, or even multiple copies. But as many others have already stated, 99% of us don't have anywhere near that kind of money. Therefore, we must engage in the detective work, strategy, and other great machinations that true collectors usually endure.

Here's one example -- I just picked up an FF #12 in 9.4, a book I could never just write a check for. I'm an English teacher with a comic budget that maybe reaches $10k a year. But over the years, I've bought high-quality stuff, all FF related.

So when I got word that a guy I know had an FF #12 in his safety-deposit box and was planning to move it someday, I jumped in with everything I had at what I thought would be just the right moment. 33 graded comics (only 4 were SA books, the rest late Silver and Bronze) and three major pieces of OA later, the book was in my hands.

Now, of course, I have a lot of money tied up in a single book, which is not usually my preference given that I'm trying to build an FF run book by book. But down the road I can perhaps pick up a lower-grade FF #12 (9.0?) and move the 9.4 to the right buyer for cash (and more cash than I paid in trade)...which will require even MORE patience, detective work, connections, and luck.

That's the fun of collecting for me...I can't buy a superb run of HG SA Marvels, especially since I have strict requirements for page quality, color, centering, and the like. But I can get a small sample of superb SA Marvels on a budget -- just the kind of challenge I love.

Dan

What I'm saying is that if I'm a very wealthy individual, then in 3 weeks I can write a check for $5 million, or $10 million, and have near-complete ultra-HG runs of several major SA Marvel titles, and immediately vault to the top (or at least 2nd) of the Marvel collector ranks. The point is that they exist and are available for sale, so it's just a case of writing a big enough check (I understand that not everyone can write such a check, but it is available for those who can write such a check).

In contrast, I could offer to write a $20 million or $30 million or $100 million check for comparable SA DC runs and it will do no good because such complete ultra-HG runs don't exist. Well, maybe with a $100 million check I could "convince" CGC to magically certify a Showcase 8, 13, 14 and 22 and B&b 29 & 30 as 9.4s, but right now those books simply don't exist in those grades, so all the money in the world won't do me any good.

That's all I'm saying.

I agree that the older books are tougher to find and buy simply due to scarcity. Comics were saved in different ways in various time periods. Silver Age Marvels are for example way more scarce than anything after that. So some things are tough to find from SA, but nothing after that should be.

Before SA it is a much tougher task to find things, and before the war era those are an even greater challenge. Each era of comics were treated differently, so the actual existing supply differs with each. They just have varying degrees of difficulty. The choice to collect should be based mainly on the likability of the comics, not their age, value, or scarcity.

:gossip: BTW, I think with enough money someone can be bought, so somebody could pay the right price to get Steve to find those super scarce books. :jokealert:

Good points beings raised......

I did want to point out (since I recently started trying to build a *modestly* high grade run of Showcase (#1-50).

I wanted to get copies in the cgc 5.5-7.0 range (and almost there, just need #2 and #10!)

BUT, I noticed on the registry that one guy has (or claims to have) the single highest graded copy of most/all the showcase books in that run. So, he has the equivalent (perhaps) of the Doug Schmell Avengers 1-50 or X-men 1-50, or whatever.

Probably comparably hard to get, although the actual grades of the books might be 9.0/9.2 and sometimes 9.4/9.6 ???

I can't remember the guy's name, but he may be a boardie too. All I can say to that guy, after putting this run (almost) togehter is (worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)

Oh, and (worship)

Dan

That's all I'm saying.

I hear what you're saying about the "common" Marvels. While Dan is correct that most of us don't have the resources to chase Marvel runs in 9.4, tth2 is correct in all it takes is money and a little effort.

Yet, we as collectors like the challenge. My collecting focus consists of mostly 1st appearances.....in 9.0 and with white pages. I make DC my priority and I am more forgiving with lower graded titles, but I stick with OW or better pages. Obviously with Marvel, this is easy. BUT....and there is a but, I try and get the best possible copy in 9.0 white.

This means no miswraps, no white edges, no writing on the cover....The Marvel box in the upper left corner must be completely colored in...no fading, no color missing....

I had a Fantastic Four 48 9.0 white that I recently had to sell..(broke my heart to let it go).It was perfect !!...The centering was spot on, the color and gloss to the book was spectacular....The back cover was white and the staples were centered...Now, this is a super common book in high grade, but not in the condition of this one....

While anyone with cash can "buy a complete run", it's finding the "perfect copy" that can be elusive....even with Marvel...

Dan

That's all I'm saying.

I hear what you're saying about the "common" Marvels. While Dan is correct that most of us don't have the resources to chase Marvel runs in 9.4, tth2 is correct in all it takes is money and a little effort.

Yet, we as collectors like the challenge. My collecting focus consists of mostly 1st appearances.....in 9.0 and with white pages. I make DC my priority and I am more forgiving with lower graded titles, but I stick with OW or better pages. Obviously with Marvel, this is easy. BUT....and there is a but, I try and get the best possible copy in 9.0 white.

This means no miswraps, no white edges, no writing on the cover....The Marvel box in the upper left corner must be completely colored in...no fading, no color missing....

I had a Fantastic Four 48 9.0 white that I recently had to sell..(broke my heart to let it go).It was perfect !!...The centering was spot on, the color and gloss to the book was spectacular....The back cover was white and the staples were centered...Now, this is a super common book in high grade, but not in the condition of this one....

While anyone with cash can "buy a complete run", it's finding the "perfect copy" that can be elusive....even with Marvel...

.....ESPECIALLY with Marvel. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

This is very true. To make acquiring BAs relatively challenging, I require that they have perfect or near-perfect QP, which is actually very difficult.

Dan

That's all I'm saying.

demotivators_picdump_205_640_05-Copy.jpg

Dan

That's all I'm saying.

lol

Dan

That's all I'm saying.

lol

......HEY, that's ME !.......GOD BLESS...

Today was my first day off since the auction started and I've got to say that this is one of the strongest offerings of any Comic auction I've seen yet.....unless you collect early SA D.C. books. Other than that it's astounding. This will give us a good indicator of just how strong and deep the market really is. :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn: GOD BLESS....

i pity the poor Marvel gatherer; us savvy DC collectors don't have to be concerned with things like: too many books, too little $, another better copy coming down the pike next week. this month in Heritage and Clink i bid on two books- oh, the excitement never wanes.

Of course if you really want to be bored you can collect and read DC's! Its the same as saying "I collect rare boogers".

Today was my first day off since the auction started and I've got to say that this is one of the strongest offerings of any Comic auction I've seen yet.....unless you collect early SA D.C. books. Other than that it's astounding. This will give us a good indicator of just how strong and deep the market really is. :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn: GOD BLESS....

i pity the poor Marvel gatherer; us savvy DC collectors don't have to be concerned with things like: too many books, too little $, another better copy coming down the pike next week. this month in Heritage and Clink i bid on two books- oh, the excitement never wanes.

Of course if you really want to be bored you can collect and read DC's! Its the same as saying "I collect rare boogers".

Harsh :slapfight: