• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Collecting Paranoia.....Arrrrgh!

42 posts in this topic

I haven't been on here long but I have noticed that most of the folks on here look out for each other. This is a very good forum. For example I have seen multiple times where someone is selling something and another person will chime in to tell the seller that "so & so" is looking for that book. I wouldn't worry too much about competition as there will be more people looking out for you rather than working against you.

Edited by MarvelOnly

If your mystery passion is for a Bronze Age/1970s series, there is almost nothing you could say to drive prices UP... That'd be my guess since a 9.8 run in an earlier era is beyond most people's reach.

Prices on this stuff were higher in CGC's early years but have been coming down down down. Supply is just going to increase. Share all you want about what you are interested in, wait a few years, and you will probably pay no more than you would today. There is a good chance you will pay even less.

You could get the "keys" first before sharing - "commons" increase very slowly in value no matter what the chatter.

WTTB!

Imagine how boring it would be around here if no-one shared their collections or interests! That's what makes this board the best comic book resource in the world. I've learnt a massive amount on here through people willing to share their thoughts and perspectives on this awesome hobby.

WTTB!

Imagine how boring it would be around here if no-one shared their collections or interests! That's what makes this board the best comic book resource in the world. I've learnt a massive amount on here through people willing to share their thoughts and perspectives on this awesome hobby.

regular version

+1

Carl Sagan version

billions and billions of +1

(i know i know he never said it )

To be fair, he does describe his habits as both "paranoia" and "a sickness."

Like someone said before, if people here know that you collect a certain title, the odds are that you will get leads for books or outright offers more often than you will get punishment bids or greater competition.

Besides, if you're collecting something, odds are that there's someone else already collecting it as well. Unless you're that guy collecting the Kite Fun books; I don't think there's much activity in that pool besides him

Depending on how things work out, posting what you want here can be extremely beneficial. I'll always roll the dice by asking here instead of trying to track something ultra rare down on my own after good experiences with board members. I could introduce competition and jack up the prices on something, but I feel like the odds are in favor I just find what I want at a fair to fantastic price.

Thanks for the WTTB's. Price manipulation was perhaps the wrong choice of words. Playing the cards close to the vest as I believe my bargaining power is diminished if a potential seller knew X book was a need as opposed to a want. Less likely to wheel and deal. Capisce? That being said, it's unlikely I'll complete my run anytime soon. There's 3 books from the run that have very low census #'s (1 or 2 9.8's) I've seen 2 for sale. 1 out of reach (for now), the other I was too %$$&ing cheap! I have never seen the other offered for sale anywhere, but it's out there. I'm patiently lurking, waiting for another. Valid point about more books coming on the market and prices going down. But it's taking forever! I'll keep trying and plugging along. FYI a poster to this thread is my "competition". Not sure they would consider me competition but others might. http://boards.collectors-society.com/images/icons/default/wink.gif

The desire to share increases with participation .http://boards.collectors-society.com/images/icons/default/grin.gif

Greetings fellow comic enthusiast's,

Well it's been some time since a post, I've finally decided to come clean and hopefully, have a little fun! The XXX title is The Avengers. Have all but about 9 of the 1-402. Bronze age Avengers are my "love" as these babies led me to start collecting comics. 137 was my first, but not the last. Bought my first graded from Pedigree comics waaaay back. My registry set #93 is my original copy, which I obtained from a show in Houston via trade(Avengers 93-99) for 1st Punisher Limited series. In hindsight, worked out well for me, Need to get a couple of the others gradeda they're in pretty good shape. I've since learned of the ol' clean and press, so I'll give it a try. If it works as I suspect, perhaps a crack and re-sub of 93 is warranted? Thoughts?

As I stated previously, once I began chasing graded Bronze Avengers I discovered I was not alone in this endeavor(or sickness). I believe both boardees Cheetah(who at one time had a Kick-@# BA Avengers w/price variants) and Sufunk had much more complete Avengers collections. Not sure what happened to Cheetahs set, but Sufunk is still up there. I followed some of Sufunk's posts and learned some things. At first(2-3 comics) I just bought the grade, not the book. But learned quickly. Needed White Pages, nice centering, Pedigree(perhaps). Didn't initially chase the re-print issues (136 and 163) and I know several of the books are a tough find. Dang movies didn't help either, however in my opinion the are awesome, but I digress. 

I decided to load several more books into my registry set today. I'll continue loading in the coming days/weeks. I'm in the top 10 now, perhaps when I'm done posting I'll have a top 5 set. We'll see. 

I've posted some of my books here, Not that great at pictures, working on it.

Regards

Avengers_93_CGC90.thumb.JPG.281369c156f067863f2ac3c548a1dafc.JPG

Avengers_100_CGC98.JPG

Avengers_121_CGC98.JPG

Avengers_128_CGC98.JPG

Avengers_144_CGC98.JPG

Avengers_181_CGC98.JPG

Avengers_200_CGC98.JPG

4 minutes ago, TheBigJ said:

Greetings fellow comic enthusiast's,

Well it's been some time since a post, I've finally decided to come clean and hopefully, have a little fun! The XXX title is The Avengers. Have all but about 9 of the 1-402. Bronze age Avengers are my "love" as these babies led me to start collecting comics. 137 was my first, but not the last. Bought my first graded from Pedigree comics waaaay back. My registry set #93 is my original copy, which I obtained from a show in Houston via trade(Avengers 93-99) for 1st Punisher Limited series. In hindsight, worked out well for me, Need to get a couple of the others gradeda they're in pretty good shape. I've since learned of the ol' clean and press, so I'll give it a try. If it works as I suspect, perhaps a crack and re-sub of 93 is warranted? Thoughts?

As I stated previously, once I began chasing graded Bronze Avengers I discovered I was not alone in this endeavor(or sickness). I believe both boardees Cheetah(who at one time had a Kick-@# BA Avengers w/price variants) and Sufunk had much more complete Avengers collections. Not sure what happened to Cheetahs set, but Sufunk is still up there. I followed some of Sufunk's posts and learned some things. At first(2-3 comics) I just bought the grade, not the book. But learned quickly. Needed White Pages, nice centering, Pedigree(perhaps). Didn't initially chase the re-print issues (136 and 163) and I know several of the books are a tough find. Dang movies didn't help either, however in my opinion the are awesome, but I digress. 

I decided to load several more books into my registry set today. I'll continue loading in the coming days/weeks. I'm in the top 10 now, perhaps when I'm done posting I'll have a top 5 set. We'll see. 

I've posted some of my books here, Not that great at pictures, working on it.

Regards

Avengers_93_CGC90.thumb.JPG.281369c156f067863f2ac3c548a1dafc.JPG

Avengers_100_CGC98.JPG

Avengers_121_CGC98.JPG

Avengers_128_CGC98.JPG

Avengers_144_CGC98.JPG

Avengers_181_CGC98.JPG

Avengers_200_CGC98.JPG

Looks great @TheBigJ

Congrats  :)