• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stolen Comic Book site about ready to launch

52 posts in this topic

logo.png

:news:

First off...I hope all of you never have to use this website.

About 3 years ago I had a comic stolen from me in Sarasota..(the mailman leaned it against my elevator thinking I would see it and pick it up...but someone thought they would just take it for themselves.) It was a nice copy of Fantastic Four #49..

When I found this out, I immediately contacted the local comic book stores, sent them scans of the book which I happened to have and sure enough.. they called me a few days later saying someone was trying to sell that same stolen comic book to them. He had left the store by then, but we had his phone number.

After about a month of failed attempts by the Sarasota police to get the guy (I called the possessor of the book and pretended that I would like to purchase it - yes .. purchase my own comic...) Pops Comics in Sarasota had a visit by the guy who had it (he had taken the book out of the CGC case then.) and tried to sell it to them.. they pretended to be looking up the value while they called me.. and basically told him the book was stolen, and that he could either wait for the police to try to convince them the book was his.. or just leave the book with them and they would return it to the rightful owner...

Given the choices of jail or freedom, the person in question decided to just leave.

Anyway, I'm telling you all this because I've spent the last 3 months building a site to register stolen comic books..inspired by this event. The site I feel will be very useful for victims to post high res scans of the books after they have been stolen. I thought it might help people who might be going through the same thing I went through...so they don't have to suffer the same ill feelings I had and so they have a tool which they can use to fight back.

Also, I would like to thank Matt Nelson at Classics Incorporated who has been beta testing the site a bit for me and giving his feedback (Thanks Matt!) and I thought it was time to let the boards know about this site..

This site is completely free...completely "non profit" .. and is just a "love of the hobby" sort of site I put together... I thought if I put it on the boards..some of you might kick in some suggestions..and I can make it even better.. and we can all collectively use it to our advantage.

The ideal use of this site is for comic book shows..for instance, if someone steals a copy of Amazing Fantasy 15 from a dealer on one side of the show.. and ten minutes later tries to sell it on the other side of the show to another dealer....that this other dealer already knows the book was stolen because he received a popup on his iPhone. The site should function this quickly (assuming I approve the post fast enough)

If I have put this on the wrong forum please forgive me and guide me in the right direction.

The website is StolenComic.com

Thanks and I look forward to your unfiltered feedback :whistle:

:news: :news: :foryou:zzz:kidaround:

I registered and activated the link sent to my email. When I go to login I get the following error after entering name/password:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected $end in /home/jakhrat/public_html/stolencomic.com/index.php on line 143

As far as the site goes, excellent. I clicked on the Whiz 1 image and though "pretty small" but saw it was 1 of 2 so clicked again and got the big image. I love how the identifying stress lines, tape stains. etc are detailed.

Really first rate job!

Hey everyone.. I just attempted to add google analytics to the site, and in doing so..because of my poor programming skills...the site crashed. My programmer is asleep in the UK right now.. and, although I'm trying to fix it.. I don't know if I will be successful..

I'm really sorry for the false start! (and embarrassed lol)

I'm on the road at the moment. If you want me to have a look and see if I can resolve the PHP error, PM me in an hours time with a number you can be reached at.

wow Thanks comic whiz!

I'm actually in Prague in the Czech Rep right now and am probably going to bed before then..but if I'm still up I'll definitely take you up on that.. I have a guy attempting it now from Pakistan

The issue is with your index.php file. I'm not sure if you manually inserted the google code snippet or pointed google to the site to auto insert the code, but it's not liking whatever was modified about that file. It's always a good idea to always make a backup of any file before you make any modifications.

Good luck getting the programing worked out. I like the international favour of the help being offered! (thumbs u

This is a great idea. :applause: However, I hope you won't be offended if I hope that few if any one here ever needs to use the site.