• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SDCC GA/SA sales report

62 posts in this topic

Rick's booth was the social center of the Gold & Silver Age pavilion. Even celebrity chef Anthony Bourdain made an appearance.

Did he buy any comics? :popcorn:

Rick's booth was the social center of the Gold & Silver Age pavilion. Even celebrity chef Anthony Bourdain made an appearance.

Did he buy any comics? :popcorn:

(shrug) Rumor has it that the renowned chef brought over a mousse for Gator to try, but there was some sorta miscommunication. See Primetime's thread. :blush:

Sorry, Rick. :fear:

Unless there is video to prove it...it might not have happened lol

I'll try to get the video uploaded later. Here's a pic to tide you over...

c8f91e77.jpg

Just to dovetail on rick's report, listed below are the books I purchased at SDCC, just fyi.

Amazing Spider-Man #31 - So Cal Comics

Amazing Spider-Man #32 - Torpedo Comics

Battle Action #29 (Atlas) - So Cal Comics

Bobby Benson's B-Bar-B Riders #14 (classic horror cover) - Bunky Brothers

Captain Fealess #1 (Chas Quinlan) - Filter81

Daredevil #9 and #11 (Silver Age) - A-1 Comics

Daredevil #10 (Silver Age) - Torpedo Comics

Feature Comics #28 (Larson pedigree, just updated to "rare" in the new Guide) - WorldWide

Feature Comics #36 (Cosmic Aeroplane) - Harley Yee

Feature Comics #40 (Church copy) - Worldwide

Fight Comics #5 - Sparkle City

Jann of the Jungle #8(1) (Ohio copy) - Bunky Brothers

Marines in Battle #19 (Atlas) - So Cal Comics

More Fun #18 (Church copy) - private collector

Prize Comics #4 (classic robot cover) - private collector

Tale of Suspense #44 - A-1 Comics

Weird Tales of the Future #5 (classic Wolverton) - Filter 81

World of Fantasy #16 (Williamson, Kirby, Ditko) - So Cal Comics

Overall, SDCC was an "average" show for me - I came home under budget and with less books than I normally would, despite the availability of more material than usual, because pricing was too high IMHO.

Still, lots of old (and new) friends, enjoyed chatting with several Boardies, plus some excellent food, so a good time was definitely had!

:)

Steve, sick haul. :applause: Would love to see pics of the Fight 5 and MF 18.

Another thing I noticed at SDCC was that a few dealers brought out books from their personal collections to showcase. They were only for sale if someone made an "outrageous" high offer on a book.

This, I believe, was an attempt to "Keep up with the Joneses" (aka Heritage), and for me at least, the tactic backfired. Whether the showcase books brought more actual buyers to the dealers' booth during the Con, I cannot say.

Another thing I noticed at SDCC was that a few dealers brought out books from their personal collections to showcase. They were only for sale if someone made an "outrageous" high offer on a book.

This, I believe, was an attempt to "Keep up with the Joneses" (aka Heritage), and for me at least, the tactic backfired. Whether the showcase books brought more actual buyers to the dealers' booth during the Con, I cannot say.

I brought out numerous "personal" books to the last 2 shows (heroes and SDCC) but I did so more out of necessity (just sold through too much "inventory")...

now, I put "realistic" prices on mine (by that I mean what I consider to be top end FMV, but FMV none the less) and that resulted in many of my personal copies selling (Fantastic 3, Terrific 5, Great 3, Pep 34, were among notable, but there were others).... so, maybe I was still priced too low lol

Just to dovetail on rick's report, listed below are the books I purchased at SDCC, just fyi.

Amazing Spider-Man #31 - So Cal Comics

Amazing Spider-Man #32 - Torpedo Comics

Battle Action #29 (Atlas) - So Cal Comics

Bobby Benson's B-Bar-B Riders #14 (classic horror cover) - Bunky Brothers

Captain Fealess #1 (Chas Quinlan) - Filter81

Daredevil #9 and #11 (Silver Age) - A-1 Comics

Daredevil #10 (Silver Age) - Torpedo Comics

Feature Comics #28 (Larson pedigree, just updated to "rare" in the new Guide) - WorldWide

Feature Comics #36 (Cosmic Aeroplane) - Harley Yee

Feature Comics #40 (Church copy) - Worldwide

Fight Comics #5 - Sparkle City

Jann of the Jungle #8(1) (Ohio copy) - Bunky Brothers

Marines in Battle #19 (Atlas) - So Cal Comics

More Fun #18 (Church copy) - private collector

Prize Comics #4 (classic robot cover) - private collector

Tale of Suspense #44 - A-1 Comics

Weird Tales of the Future #5 (classic Wolverton) - Filter 81

World of Fantasy #16 (Williamson, Kirby, Ditko) - So Cal Comics

Overall, SDCC was an "average" show for me - I came home under budget and with less books than I normally would, despite the availability of more material than usual, because pricing was too high IMHO.

Still, lots of old (and new) friends, enjoyed chatting with several Boardies, plus some excellent food, so a good time was definitely had!

Great acqusitions, Steve. And it was great seeing you at the show!

SLR

I brought out numerous "personal" books to the last 2 shows (heroes and SDCC) but I did so more out of necessity (just sold through too much "inventory")...

now, I put "realistic" prices on mine (by that I mean what I consider to be top end FMV, but FMV none the less) and that resulted in many of my personal copies selling (Fantastic 3, Terrific 5, Great 3, Pep 34, were among notable, but there were others).... so, maybe I was still priced too low lol

I experienced the same problem on a smaller scale. At the last show in Calgary I sold more than 50% of my wall books at 'market' and now find that it will cost me as much or more to replace them. I'm forced to price my wall books at 120% of replacement cost with the expectation that buyers will ask for a discount. Still leaves me with a razor thin margin.

Given the info about what it costs a dealer at SDCC, to just participate. Was it worth it financially? Considering the manual labor, inventory costs and other factors like time, effort, travel, etc?

Most of the dealers I talked to were satisfied, but there is no denying that profit margins are thin given the overhead. There is always the unknown factor as well, that is, which inventory to pull for this show. It never fails that certain books or lines of books that haven't been good movers will suddenly, inexplicably become popular. More than one dealer pointed to a jump in interest in EC this year. EC has been flat for years due to the numerous archival reprints and the flood of Gaines file copies putting a damper on sales. Is this a New Trend? ...It's anybody's guess. (shrug)

My SDCC pick-up list is probably shorter than most...

Captain America #14 (8.5) Bunky Bros.

Miss Fury #3 (6.5) Bedrock

Air Fighters #2 (Church copy) Verzyl

Daring Mystery #5 (8.0, currently the highest graded copy) Verzyl

Donato Giancola oil painting of WWII era Captain America (purchased directly from artist)

Also, I'm in negotiation for several more nice books that I'm not at liberty to discuss.

My modus operandi is somewhat different than the typical collector methodology as runs usually don't interest me. I seek out high grade comics (typically 8.5 up) from a variety of GA publishers with a predisposition toward iconic art and keys.  If I leave the con with three or four really nice purchases, that's a good show for me.

For example, my primary focus is Timely, but I also collect Quality titles (Hit Comics especially), Lev Gleason (pre-Little Wise Guys Daredevil & Silver Streak), and certain issues of titles published by MLJ, Nedor, Fox, Hillman and Novelty Press.  Although I do target specific books, I just never know until I'm at the convention what will grab my interest.

That's what makes it fun! :banana::takeit:

SLR

Thnx, and likewise Steve - meeting up and chatting with fellow Boardies like you, EJR, nearmint, campued1010, DrWatson, hockeyboy13, MrBedrock, comichut, Bunky Brian, Filter81, Socratic Wonder, FUELMAN, Kramerica, Primetime, blazingbob, RareHighGrade, ACME, G.A.tor, agro23, VintageComics, adamstrange, and others is truly a highlight of the Con for me (unfortunately I missed some Boardies, as well).

SLR

Thnx, and likewise Steve - meeting up and chatting with fellow Boardies like you, EJR, nearmint, campued1010, DrWatson, hockeyboy13, MrBedrock, comichut, Bunky Brian, Filter81, Socratic Wonder, FUELMAN, Kramerica, Primetime, blazingbob, RareHighGrade, ACME, G.A.tor, agro23, VintageComics, adamstrange, and others is truly a highlight of the Con for me (unfortunately I missed some Boardies, as well).

Meeting and greeting in person is the best part of a convention :)