• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SDCC GA/SA sales report

62 posts in this topic

Great acqusitions, Steve. And it was great seeing you at the show!

SLR

Thnx, and likewise Steve - meeting up and chatting with fellow Boardies like you, EJR, nearmint, campued1010, DrWatson, hockeyboy13, MrBedrock, comichut, Bunky Brian, Filter81, Socratic Wonder, FUELMAN, Kramerica, Primetime, blazingbob, RareHighGrade, ACME, G.A.tor, agro23, VintageComics, adamstrange, and others is truly a highlight of the Con for me (unfortunately I missed some Boardies, as well).

:)

Meeting and greeting in person is the best part of a convention :)

Yep. (thumbs u

Great acqusitions, Steve. And it was great seeing you at the show!

SLR

Thnx, and likewise Steve - meeting up and chatting with fellow Boardies like you, EJR, nearmint, campued1010, DrWatson, hockeyboy13, MrBedrock, comichut, Bunky Brian, Filter81, Socratic Wonder, FUELMAN, Kramerica, Primetime, blazingbob, RareHighGrade, ACME, G.A.tor, agro23, VintageComics, adamstrange, and others is truly a highlight of the Con for me (unfortunately I missed some Boardies, as well).

:)

Meeting and greeting in person is the best part of a convention :)

Yep. (thumbs u

+2 :headbang:

I won't even try to list all the boardies who came up and introduced themselves this past weekend for fear of leaving someone out. Everyone was super. Thanks, guys.

FTR, we're still in San Diego and meeting a fellow boardie tonight for dinner. Will be homeward bound tomorrow. May post pics, but only if requested. ;)

I'll probably miss Chicago again this year as we're toast after three months on the road, but NY is a go. Hope to see everyone there! :hi:

With all the talk about how expensive it is to set up at SDCC, I wonder if many dealers will set up at the San Diego Comic Fest in October. A 3-day show with tables for only $150, and hotel rooms for just $115 a night. Of course, only 1000 attendees rather than 130,000.

San Diego Comic Fest

Another thing I noticed at SDCC was that a few dealers brought out books from their personal collections to showcase. They were only for sale if someone made an "outrageous" high offer on a book.

This, I believe, was an attempt to "Keep up with the Joneses" (aka Heritage), and for me at least, the tactic backfired. Whether the showcase books brought more actual buyers to the dealers' booth during the Con, I cannot say.

Yeah but you know how big dollar books work. Now that people know there are some cool books to be had, interested collectors will be pacing at home trying to figure out how they can acquire it. It might take a few months but someone will take the leap of faith for those "must have" books.

Another thing I noticed at SDCC was that a few dealers brought out books from their personal collections to showcase. They were only for sale if someone made an "outrageous" high offer on a book.

This, I believe, was an attempt to "Keep up with the Joneses" (aka Heritage), and for me at least, the tactic backfired. Whether the showcase books brought more actual buyers to the dealers' booth during the Con, I cannot say.

Yeah but you know how big dollar books work. Now that people know there are some cool books to be had, interested collectors will be pacing at home trying to figure out how they can acquire it. It might take a few months but someone will take the leap of faith for those "must have" books.

Yup. I'm already wanting to know what folks saw.

Yup. I'm already wanting to know what folks saw.

Too many books at the Con to remember but I'll be posting pics from the annual Geekfest later this evening.

You very well may be correct. As someone pointed out to me, there's a different perspective between someone who already has their collection in place and someone who is trying to build a collection.

So my view my be a minority one as there are no "must have" books, and there are no regrets leaving such books on the table(s). I even passed on several Larsons !

Too many books at the Con to remember....

Same here, adam - it was like a flood of books.

Anyway, I wouldn't feel comfortable mentioning specific books here as I would not want to interfere with their owners or any pending/future deals.

The health of the hobby is paramount to me, so I hope for continued growth. (thumbs u

Congrats on all those sales. I'm a fan of all that genre/pop culture stuff too, its damn good to see that the Comic is still very much a part of Comic Con.

(thumbs u No doubt about it. Comics are still strong because there are new collectors/speculators entering the hobby all the time. That should put folks at ease about the health of the hobby. Don't ask me for specifics, but I am privy to a few things that may not be common knowledge on the boards. Let's just say that there were plenty of folks browsing and buying books at SDCC this year in spite of all the glitz, glamour and non-comic related attractions. This bodes well for the long term growth of comic collecting, especially GA & SA.

It was nice meeting some people on the boards. I didn't buy much this year.

:gossip: But sold the handful of books I brought.

There were some steep prices, although a few deals were still there to be had.

I wish I had more than two days to really dig in and buy.

Had a really great time at the artist booths this year, got quite a few sketches.