• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Dark Knight Rises Reviews

1,012 posts in this topic

I didn't want to start a new TDKR thread so I searched for one with the best thread titel. It seems that this is the perfect one for my short review.

Wow, 160 minutes is a really long running time and I think it will be very hard to endure for none comic book nerds. It's a strong movie, very intense, but it also feels very different than the other ones. And for a 160 minute long movie it doesn't have that much Batman Action in it, maybe not enough for some people. I think the build up to the finale was great and very smart but the finale itself could have been a little bit longer for my taste. The big street fight we have seen so much from the set videos? Not so much of it in the movie as I thought it would be. So, how do I rate this movie? I think Part 2 of the Nolan Movies will always be the best one and I really can't decide if Part 1 or Part 3 is the better one at the moment. Maybe they are equal. Have to see TDKR a second time for a final judgement. But a 140 minute running time would have been enough for TDKR.

Some Spoilers for all the little boys who want to know everything:

- Liam Neeson is only seen in flashbacks and one time as a hallucination from Bruce

- Marion Cotillard is Talia Al Ghul

- The breaking of the bat is shown just like in the Knightfall books, but Batmans back is not really broken here.

- Joseph Gordon-Levitt will be the new Batman. Of course not in another movie but in this story. He's character John Blake has a second name, it's Robin ;-)

Btw, because of all the TDKR vs Avengers stuff going on everywhere. I think Avengers comes out as the winner, it was unique, much more entertaining and something we have not seen before. TDKR has no surprises for us in store. Nolan and his crew really tried hard but they already produced the best Bat Movie with "The Dark Knight" (in my opinion).

Btw, because of all the TDKR vs Avengers stuff going on everywhere. I think Avengers comes out as the winner, it was unique, much more entertaining and something we have not seen before. TDKR has no surprises for us in store. Nolan and his crew really tried hard but they already produced the best Bat Movie with "The Dark Knight" (in my opinion).

Hmmm different perspective to what my brother told me, he said it had alot of surprises.

Can't wait to see for myself on Saturday.

Hmmm different perspective to what my brother told me, he said it had alot of surprises.

hm, not really what I meant. More like "what we have not seen before" and not the surprises the story has in store for us. We already had two Nolan Batmans before this one, so it's nothing new to us. Avengers was a very special movie, the whole concept of so many different characters from other movies in one film and so on...

hm, not really what I meant. More like "what we have not seen before" and not the surprises the story has in store for us. We already had two Nolan Batmans before this one, so it's nothing new to us. Avengers was a very special movie, the whole conept of so many different characters from other movies in one film and so on...

Right, I;ve got you. But they are different types of movies which I don't think they can be really compared.

I think The Avengers has been the best comic book movie made so far, the sheer effort to get all of those characters played by good actors was a milestone event.

But the Nolan Bat films I believe transcend "comic book movie" and has become something entirely of its own.

But just my opinion.

They are very different.

Comparing them to each other is like comparing movies of different genres to each other that have no similarities in some regards.

Yes, they are both comic book related but they are worlds apart in what they try to achieve.

Avengers is full on fantasy with lots of colour and action, pizzazz, humour, etc. As far as entertainment and broad appeal it's tops.

Batman seems to take on the human psyche and what is at the root of society (and it's problems) while trying to keep it entertaining. It's really more of a statement than entertainment.

I haven't seen Batman yet but I think it's going to be terrific.

I would say that both franchises are putting out top notch, top shelf material and everyone who wants to make a film can learn from them.

Roy, I know what you mean and you are right, they are very different.

It's just if I have to compare them for how much I was entertained by both movies, I would pick Avengers as the winner. But that doesn't mean TDKR is a bad movie. I was just more blown away by Avengers than by TDKR. That's all. ;)

Nothing is going to catch Avengers this year. It was a light popcorn movie that appealed and caught on with non-comic fans. The 3D revenue was a huge factor and being a shorter movie, you could squeeze in an extra showing or two in any given day. Nolan's Batman is anything but light. It'll do well, maybe even garner more awards than Avengers, but it won't beat Avengers for the summer box office.

If anyone is looking for spoilers, go over to the superherohype forums. They practically have the whole movie outlined.

I just saw the movie. It had some elements that were Long Halloween, a lot of Dark Knight Returns, some Year One, and even some similarities to Miller's Born Again with Daredevil. But it was done such a way that it felt fresh and original.

I don't think it will do well in the box-office. It is an intellectual and emotional movie. Not sure how kids or even teens will like it.

There definitely are some plot twists and surprises, and of course some plot holes. I don't quite like the idea that Batman gets out of his 8-year slumber just because a certain villain named Bane appears. It should run deeper than that.

But generally, it was a good movie. Very emotional (yeah I already said that), and it was not the funny enjoyable ride of Avengers. You leave the movie reflecting and feeling the true heroism of Batman.

Not sure what more to say without spoiling it. But for a comic fanboy, this is a really good movie. Not sure how the non-comic reading public, especially the kids and teens will like it though.

It's at 98% on Rotten Tomatoes with 29 reviews in.

Ice Age is at 40% and beat the crud out of ASM this weekend. What difference does that make?

I don't give a cr@p what the box office take is. I just want to see a good movie.

Exactly...Who cares how the movie is doing..If it's good I want to see it. ! :sumo:

Ice Age is at 40% and beat the crud out of ASM this weekend. What difference does that make?

I don't give a cr@p what the box office take is. I just want to see a good movie.

Exactly...Who cares how the movie is doing..If it's good I want to see it. ! :sumo:

i care, as the better "our" geek movies do, the better the chances are we'll see more of them down the line. for example--a big green lantern guy has to be sad the movie bombed, as he can't reasonably expect another one, at least not in the forseeable future.

I just saw the movie. It had some elements that were Long Halloween, a lot of Dark Knight Returns, some Year One, and even some similarities to Miller's Born Again with Daredevil. But it was done such a way that it felt fresh and original.

I don't think it will do well in the box-office. It is an intellectual and emotional movie. Not sure how kids or even teens will like it.

There definitely are some plot twists and surprises, and of course some plot holes. I don't quite like the idea that Batman gets out of his 8-year slumber just because a certain villain named Bane appears. It should run deeper than that.

But generally, it was a good movie. Very emotional (yeah I already said that), and it was not the funny enjoyable ride of Avengers. You leave the movie reflecting and feeling the true heroism of Batman.

Not sure what more to say without spoiling it. But for a comic fanboy, this is a really good movie. Not sure how the non-comic reading public, especially the kids and teens will like it though.

Very good description of the movie!

I am looking forward to the DKR very much, and I loved the Avengers as well.

To me, though, it's great to see how these divergent films show how very different tones, themes, and morals can be inspired by comic books. I will enjoy the ride and have no indeed to fight about which is the more influential or entertaining movie.

(That said, I did not like the new ASM movie very much. Some dynamic scenes and solid acting given the -script, but the number of cliches, coincidences, and cringe-worthy scenes undid the sum of the parts.)

Dan

I am looking forward to the DKR very much, and I loved the Avengers as well.

To me, though, it's great to see how these divergent films show how very different tones, themes, and morals can be inspired by comic books. I will enjoy the ride and have no indeed to fight about which is the more influential or entertaining movie.

(That said, I did not like the new ASM movie very much. Some dynamic scenes and solid acting given the -script, but the number of cliches, coincidences, and cringe-worthy scenes undid the sum of the parts.)

Dan

Agreed. It's like comparing Shakespeare to Dickens.

Both are terrific in their own respective rights.

i care, as the better "our" geek movies do, the better the chances are we'll see more of them down the line. for example--a big green lantern guy has to be sad the movie bombed, as he can't reasonably expect another one, at least not in the forseeable future.

This is an empty argument. No amount of good or bad comic movies has stopped more from being made and will not. As long as Hollywood continues to run out of fresh ideas they will continue to borrow from other sources.